Error 1406

chris_kost

Question

Hey there I am in the process of reinstalling emc8 and i get "installation failure 1406 - Could not write to key .... please check that you have sufficient access to that key"

I am running Windows XP. I am the admin on the computer. I have gone through the registry to the exact key that the error states (My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4123e712-5c64-43b8-ac3b-d677c1e36c9e}\ProgID) and "Everyone" is listed as the available users, and it has full permission.

Any Help would be great. I would like to use emc8 someday!!

1 answer to this question

Error 1406

Problem

When running an installation on your computer, you may receive Error 1406. The error may look like:

Error 1406: Could not write to Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{}\In ProcServer32...

Error - 1406: Could not write InstanceIndex to key...

More Information

The error can often occurs because of some system level privileges on your computer. The error can also occur if the installation is not created correctly.

Fix

Acquire administrative privileges

Make sure that you have administrative privileges on your computer if running the installation on Windows XP. Installations require administrative privileges on these operating systems in order to create registery keys. If you do not have administrative privileges on your computer, Error 1406 may occur while trying to create a registry key. To acquire administrative privileges on your computer, refer to the article Acquire Administrative Privileges on Your Computer below this .

Install the latest Windows Installer Service

Make sure that you have Windows Installer version 3.1 or higher installed on your computer. Some issues in older versions of the Windows Installer Service resulted in Error 1406. Most of these issues are fixed in Windows Installer 3.1. To upgrade to the latest Windows Installer Service click here,

Additional Information

Make sure you have Service Pack 2 for XP and the latist DirectX as well

Acquire Administrative Privileges on Your Computer.

This link will assist you in how to get FULL admin rights to the PC

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108379

Archived