Slide Show Transitions

rich_k

Question

Greetings to all. My question concerns slide shows using "dissolve" with "pan and zoom". When I previewed a slide show with these settings, I noticed some occasional jerkiness, as if the next picture fading in was not sure where it needs to be. The picture does a position shift before it continues to pan. I wasn't sure if it was a problem with real-time rendering, so I pressed the pause button and advanced forward and backward one frame at a time. The sudden position shift was still there and this shift occurred within 1 frame.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a cure? Or, will the problem disappear once the slide show is rendered to a file?

11 answers to this question

Greetings to all. My question concerns slide shows using "dissolve" with "pan and zoom". When I previewed a slide show with these settings, I noticed some occasional jerkiness, as if the next picture fading in was not sure where it needs to be. The picture does a position shift before it continues to pan. I wasn't sure if it was a problem with real-time rendering, so I pressed the pause button and advanced forward and backward one frame at a time. The sudden position shift was still there and this shift occurred within 1 frame.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a cure? Or, will the problem disappear once the slide show is rendered to a file?

It is a function of your video card/chip. What do you have? Usually you can fix the shift by trying both hardware and software render.

In Video Wave or MyDVD, go to the top menu and select tools, options. Look at he dot. There will be one next to hardware OR near software. Change it to the other to see if that helps.

Make sure that you have your video card driver up to date and that it is set to best performance rather than best appearance. Most people get better results with software render but I get better results and no jump if I use hardware. (My video card spec in my signature)

Is a Video card the same thing as a Graphics card? If not, I don't know what my video card is. Can I find the video card specs somewhere on my computer's Device Manager in the Control Panel?

My graphics card is: Vision Tek XTASY Radeon X1300 AGP based graphics card.

Thanks,

thanks! i have WinXP sp2, so I ended up here:

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/driver..._XP_driver.html

but there are 5 potential download links to click and i'm not sure which one to choose.

more questions:

after downloading the exe file, then what? do i have to go into safe mode? do i have to use the Add/remove programs to uninstall my old driver? how can i find out for sure i need to update the driver? is a video card the same as a graphics card?

thanks!

Steve,

Thank you so much for writing and for your help.

I followed your instructions and checked my driver date. it is dated 9/29/07.

my husband is in the process of upgrading the computer. We got new RAM today and he wants to buy a dual core CPU this weekend, along with a new 500 GB internal hard drive. So maybe i'll wait for all that first.

Thanks again for your help!

well, i got brave tonight. i made the Windows Restore Point, uninstalled the old drivers and reinstalled the new. so far so good. nothing crashed. :-)

Then i deleted my .dat file and ran a new Tools/Options/Graphics Test. It told me to render with Hardware, but i switched it back to Software, because Hardware was a bit slow.

Nothing got much better after updating the drivers though. i was trying to update my driver because Videowave was slow in general and i was having weird things happen where text boxes were getting hidden by overlays.

But, it's still slow and i have to add 4 text boxes just to see 2 boxes. strange.

oh well.

thanks again for your help!

thanks! i have WinXP sp2, so I ended up here:

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/driver..._XP_driver.html

but there are 5 potential download links to click and i'm not sure which one to choose.

more questions:

after downloading the exe file, then what? do i have to go into safe mode? do i have to use the Add/remove programs to uninstall my old driver? how can i find out for sure i need to update the driver? is a video card the same as a graphics card?

thanks!

Yes, a video card is the same as a graphics card. Based on what I see, you would need to download and install the two required files.

ATI requires that the current drivers be uninstall ed before you install new drivers. There is a link on that page to the Catalyst Uninstaller. to do the uninstall.

Typically you would back up your computer before you do it. A Windows restore point should be enough. You would download and run the uninstaller, and reboot. The Windows display driver will be automatically loaded. Don't panic if the display is very large; right click and reset the screen resolution so you can see the desktop. Install the first file, follow the directions and then install the second file. You may have to reboot several times.

ATI does a better job of telling you what to do. Instructions here (link)

To see what the current drivers are for your card, go to Windows>Star>Run> type in dxdiag> click OK> go to the display tab. On the left you will see the graphic card; on the right, you will see the driver information including the date.

If you have solved your problem and are not familiar with updating drivers, then is is NOT imperative that you do so. If you run into any additional problems or if you think you can follow the procedures, then you will get "better" performance by updating the driver. Many people update to the latest drivers regularly since it is pretty easy; other wait awhile. Some never do.

Contact your PC/video card supplier for drivers. I have a Dell Inspirion 5100 that's 4+ years old. I was able to find the drivers on their web site.

I reworked my slide show using videowave and manually adjusting the pan/zoom (following the great instructions found on this site) and I no longer have issues with the transitions.

Many thanks to all of you who have posted suggestions and tips.

Archived