• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Does Toast 9 Support Copying Cd Indexes?

starbeat

Question

We have a large amount of sound effect cds that have track indexes, points on the track that divide it into parts and can be used as location markers. When attempting to work with these cds, the last few versions of Toast have ignored these track indexes, which means that we have to use a PC to work with the sound effect cds. Does anyone know if Toast 9 supports track indexes?

Thanks,

Alex

4 answers to this question

With previous versions when we've copied discs the index points haven't made it, if it's possible for you to test it I'd be very appreciative.

I haven't found anything encouraging about index points. What I can't find out is if any of my optical drives support index points. Without knowing that I can't determine if it is Toast or the disc reader or burner that is keeping those from being copied. With my hardware (which includes a LaCie Firewire DVD/CD drive made by NEC) there is no copying of index points from audio CDs. In the recorder settings window you can click on the name of your drive to see a description of the drive's capabilities. I don't know if that description could include mention of audio CD index support. I don't see anything that suggests it.

Toast 8 and 9 adopted several of the features of Jam 6 but did not include Jam's support for indexes. I tried importing a track from an audio CD that has index markers to Jam 6 and no index points were transferred. Is this because the drive didn't read them or they got stripped by QuickTime? I don't know. You might check the forum at www.bigbluelounge.com .

On a related note, how does Toast 9 do with multi-session enhanced discs? We've had problems copying those while Easy CD Creator on the PC copies them just fine. The problem on the Mac is that when you put in the CD it shows up as 2 seperate discs on the desktop, and when you try to Toast 8 copy function it only sees the audio portion and there is no way to make it see the other portion or just blind copy the entire disc in like a "raw" mode.

Because the Mac OS insists on mounting sessions as different volumes Toast's copy function only copies the first volume. You could recreate the enhanced CD by choosing Enhanced Audio CD in the Audio window and adding the audio content there from its mounted volume and the data content in the Data window from its mounted volume. Check Toast Help for instructions.

I'm pretty certain Toast does not see the index points although I believe they remain when copying the disc. You can open a track in CD SpinDoctor and make track markers at index points in the waveform.

I'm on the road right now and don't have a CD with index points with me to test.

Wow thanks a lot for your help. I'm not sure if any drives specificially support them, I just know it's possible to copy them with some programs on the PC. I have never found a program that supports track indexes either.

As far as the multi session CDs, that makes sense, unfortunately.

Thanks again for your help. I'll check out that forum as well.

~Alex

I haven't found anything encouraging about index points. What I can't find out is if any of my optical drives support index points. Without knowing that I can't determine if it is Toast or the disc reader or burner that is keeping those from being copied. With my hardware (which includes a LaCie Firewire DVD/CD drive made by NEC) there is no copying of index points from audio CDs. In the recorder settings window you can click on the name of your drive to see a description of the drive's capabilities. I don't know if that description could include mention of audio CD index support. I don't see anything that suggests it.

Toast 8 and 9 adopted several of the features of Jam 6 but did not include Jam's support for indexes. I tried importing a track from an audio CD that has index markers to Jam 6 and no index points were transferred. Is this because the drive didn't read them or they got stripped by QuickTime? I don't know. You might check the forum at www.bigbluelounge.com .

Because the Mac OS insists on mounting sessions as different volumes Toast's copy function only copies the first volume. You could recreate the enhanced CD by choosing Enhanced Audio CD in the Audio window and adding the audio content there from its mounted volume and the data content in the Data window from its mounted volume. Check Toast Help for instructions.

With previous versions when we've copied discs the index points haven't made it, if it's possible for you to test it I'd be very appreciative.

On a related note, how does Toast 9 do with multi-session enhanced discs? We've had problems copying those while Easy CD Creator on the PC copies them just fine. The problem on the Mac is that when you put in the CD it shows up as 2 seperate discs on the desktop, and when you try to Toast 8 copy function it only sees the audio portion and there is no way to make it see the other portion or just blind copy the entire disc in like a "raw" mode.

~Alex

I'm pretty certain Toast does not see the index points although I believe they remain when copying the disc. You can open a track in CD SpinDoctor and make track markers at index points in the waveform.

I'm on the road right now and don't have a CD with index points with me to test.

Archived