• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Copying Dvd Files (vob) To Hard Drive And Be Able To Play Them

w7ptt

Question

Hello all,

Here is what I want to be able to do.

I have a video DVD with audio. This DVD is non commercial, and is not copy protected. I have been able to make DVD copies just fine of my original DVD disk with Toast 9. I am able to play them on my Mac Pro Computer, and I am also able to play them on my TV DVD player.

I got to thinking the other day. DVD will not be the in media forever. Down the road, I will want to copy the files to a new type of media. What I would like to do is copy all of the files of the DVD over to my hard drive on my mac. This way I will have the files for future copying over to whatever will become the latest storage media. I have been trying copying the files over (moving the whole folder over). When I try to play the files, they will not play. What do I need to do in order to make it play directly from my hard drive?

Here are the listed files

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VTS_02_2.VOB

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

VTS_02_0.BUP

VTS_02_0.IFO

VTS_02_1.VOB

Bill

W7PTT

1 answer to this question

The easiest thing to do is select the source DVD in the Toast Copy window and choose Save as Disc Image. This creates a single file that when mounted automatically launches DVD Player to play it on your Mac.

Alternatively you can just copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your Mac's hard drive and then play it with DVD Player by choosing Open DVD Media... from the DVD Player File menu and selecting the VIDEO_TS folder.

Another application that can play these is VLC Media Player which is free.

If you want to save hard drive space use the Toast Convert window and save the video from the DVD in the AppleTV format which will play in QuickTime, and in Front Row via iTunes.

Archived