• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Videoconvert Has Stopped Working

georgeb

Question

Hello. I know this isn't a new problem but I thought I'd share my findings. The problem occurs immediately when I go to 'Add Movies and select an ISO file, any ISO file. Adding MPG files does not bring up the error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and tried the Registry fix as suggested by Brendan but it keeps happening.

The frustrating part is that it was working fine a month or two ago. I wish I could remember what I had done to incur its wrath. It is too late to go back to a Restore point. If anybody knows a way of accessing some log that tells me what I've done over the last month or two, it may help me track down the cause. I am running Vista Home Premium by the way. I do monthly backups using Microsoft OneCare but I don't think these backups have the system settings. Am happy to talk to Microsoft if there is a way OneCare can take me back a month or two unless anybody has another suggestion. Thanks.

12 answers to this question

It could be something to do with Booktype.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself good enough. I fully understand booktype and bit setting, what I don't understand is 'why would it have anything to do with burning a ISO'?

I have copied/ripped to a ISO, non protected DVD-ROM pressed disc, DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+R\RW\DL (bitset to DVD-ROM). Then re-burned them to any of the above media and never experienced any problem having to do with 'Booktype'.

cd

Perhaps I didn't explain myself good enough. I fully understand booktype and bit setting, what I don't understand is 'why would it have anything to do with burning a ISO'?

I have copied/ripped to a ISO, non protected DVD-ROM pressed disc, DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+R\RW\DL (bitset to DVD-ROM). Then re-burned them to any of the above media and never experienced any problem having to do with 'Booktype'.

cd

Oh sorry. Well this seems to be a possible case here where the Video content has been created correctly, but have chances of messed up booktype when the ISO was being created. This will possibly affect VCC not to detect the video content match to DVD spec and crash.

George,

Have you tried what Jim suggested in post # 6 ?? Create a small ISO in something else [especially a Roxio something else], and see what happens when you 'add movie' with that ISO.

That should sort out if it's only Decryptor's ISOs that it doesn't like.

Cheers,

Brendon

Hello and sorry to take so long to get back. I went through the complete unininstall procedure as documented in the Roxio document and that fixed the problem. I can now add ISO files OK. The only problem I'm having now, and it is not a big problem, is that when I use the 'File', 'Open' option, and click on the project name, I get ''Roxio VideoConvert has stopped working". If I use Windows Explorer and double click on the project, it fires it up by assocoiation with no problem at all and I can work on the project. As I say, it is not a bis issue but if you have any ideas, they are welcome. Thanks for your patience.

But surely booktype is a physical property of a DVD disc, and not something which is set by software at the time that an .ISO image is created?

It is set during the DVD's manufacture, but can be altered at burn-time by some burners, and only when using a DVD+ disc.

It cannot be an attribute that is carried or created within an ISO image, or you would have to specify when you're making the image what sort of DVD you were going to burn it to and you would not be able to use a different type of blank. There would have to be 'minus ISOs' and 'plus ISOs' etc., etc, and there aren't.

That being the case, the chance "of messed up booktype when the ISO was being created" seems to be impossible, doesn't it? Even if it were possible, it wouldn't explain why it happens every time that George tries the operation.

We know that despite there being a standard, not everybody's ISOs are the same. Isn't it more likely that VCC doesn't like George's Decryptor ISOs?

Regards,

Brendon

George,

Have you tried what Jim suggested in post # 6 ?? Create a small ISO in something else [especially a Roxio something else], and see what happens when you 'add movie' with that ISO.

That should sort out if it's only Decryptor's ISOs that it doesn't like.

Cheers,

Brendon

Would you tell us what the error is? How large is the ISO and where did it come from? What software made the ISO?

cd

Hi

It happens on every ISO file I tried. They vary in size from 400K to 4GB. I use DVD Decryptor to create ISO files (not protected movies). The error I get when I click on 'Add movies', then 'OK' is 'Roxio VideoConvert has stopped working'. But I will try the clean install instructions before posting more questions.

And apologies for posting this twice, I am new to this. Can old postings be deleted?

Thanks again.

Archived