• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Doesn't Play On Some Dvd Players

Michael_C

Question

This is the first time I have burned a write once disk on a new Vista (64 bit machine). I have had problems creating the DVD in MyDVD, but have found if I avoided certain sequences I could sucessfullly create a folder set. I didn't see any problems playing a rewritable Memorex (+RW) disk when testing the DVD - it plays on all of my players, and computers.

I am using TDK DVD+R write once disks - I've used them many times without issue when burned on Windows XP machines running EMC9. The process I use is to output to folder sets, and use the "Copy and Convert" tool to burn the DVD. I burned two TDK DVD's and they seemed ok, but went to check them on a different Player I saw the "Check for Scratches ..." message.

I have the latest graphics, DirectX 10, and DirectX 9 and Audio drivers. Running Vista Home Premium (64 bit) OS.

Let me know if I've left out any important details.

Main system:

HP Pavillion d5000t quad core

6 G DDR2 SDRAM

Hitachi 750 G drive - HDS721075KLA330

Graphics cards - NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Vista)

DVD burner - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L

EMC 10.1

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit - SP1 build 6001

This snip is interesting, Michael, especially the middle paragraph. It's from the ImgBurn instructions.

Auto 'Change Book Type'

Certain older DVD players, including DVD players in some laptop computers, will not load DVD-R or DVD+R disks at all because those formats did not even exist when the player's firmware was written. However, by changing the bit setting on a DVD+R to DVD-ROM, those players should be able to load and play the DVD+R.

Samsung (using the identifier 'TSSTcorp') and LG (using the identifier 'HL-DT-ST') drive owners will automatically have all their +R /+RW /+R DL media changed to look like a DVD-ROM disc via bit setting. (Note: +RW bit setting isn't supported by the LG drives though).

The book type commands are sent to the drive before each and every burn the program makes. Obviously just for 'Plus' format media - i.e. DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL. Either the program tells the drive to change the book type to DVD-ROM or it doesn't and the drive will do whatever it had already been told to do by other programs (or by ImgBurn's 'Change Book Type' screen).

The default setting is 'Enabled'.

I can't find anything to suggest that this level of Sonic/Roxio software tells drives to set the book type bits on 'plus' discs. I don't think it does.

Regards,

Brendon

[are we having fun yet? :) ]

You refuse to believe what you've been told and read.

If you're talking about believing on faith - sure I can. The only thing I'm looking for in this dialog is info if it's known. And, I understand this level of understanding may not be anything anyone on this forum has gotten into, nor cares about - but, I'd welcome the info if it's known.

Roxio software won't bitset.If you have a drive that will and a utility to set the drive then Roxio software will burn it and the utility changes the booktype.

cd

On the two DVD burn attempts that "failed", I only used Roxio's "Video Copy & Convert" to burn the DVD from a folder set - the DVD's Booktype was changed to DVD-Rom. No utility was used.

Michael_C

Did you add the bolded above or did a Roxio tech tell you that?

Roxio 'Their response: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/EE7...-locale=en' has nothing to do with booktype! All DVD Video applications should close a disc so no further writing can be done. Your confused and or mixing apples and oranges.

Below is a disc info tool to check and see if a disc had booktype bitsetting changed, do you see it? You can download it from my signature and check your disc's before and after a burn.

post-97-1218658274.png

cd

This was in an email sent to me - I copied and pasted the section into the posting. I'm not going to defend the content of their response, but assumed the link was given because of the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The intent of our application is to ensure projects created fully comply with the VCD /

SVCD / DVD industry standards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I saw no other relevence to the question I posted to them.

I used Nero Disc Speed to check the BookType (See Post #14)

I'm not sure it's worth pursuing this any longer, since the last TDK DVD+R burned without problem - and, the disk played fine even though the Booktype was changed (sse post # 36)

I included the info in post 36 as a way of giving feedback on a status change (after updating firmware, and PxEngine), and including the discussion with LG support - since the info from LG Support didn't agree with other info. I've seen a number of comments in the forum talking about people don't update a thread when they have success, or give up. That was primarily what post 36 was about.

You say I can check the booktype before and after burn - The question wasn't "did the Booktype change", it was "what piece of code changed it", and could I disable it. You have said the drive changes the Booktype, LG tech said it's Roxio, and Roxio wrote the comment included in post 42. I'm not confused - it either is done by the hardware, or elsewhere. I'm certain it's feasible to do it in either place - whether the functionality is accessed via an API call, or exposed functionality in a dll/com it could be done at the app level.

I have no idea whether you are running the same EMC version as I am (10.1.226), nor whether you are running on the same OS (Vista home premium 64 bit) - but there is room for differences in our setups beyond the LG drive.

I can believe it's as you have said, but the communications with LG and Roxio are less than conclusive - possibly talking/writing to another set of people would give different answers.

I appreciate the information, but question the reason for the "tone/attitude" in some of the emails.

Regards,

Michael

This snip is interesting, Michael, especially the middle paragraph. It's from the ImgBurn instructions.

I can't find anything to suggest that this level of Sonic/Roxio software tells drives to set the book type bits on 'plus' discs. I don't think it does.

Regards,

Brendon

[are we having fun yet? :) ]

Brendon,

Thanks for pointing me to the IMGBurn "Write Settings".

And, ... to answer your question, Oh boy, such fun! :)

Thanks again,

Michael

This is the first time I have burned a write once disk on a new Vista (64 bit machine). I have had problems creating the DVD in MyDVD, but have found if I avoided certain sequences I could sucessfullly create a folder set. I didn't see any problems playing a rewritable Memorex (+RW) disk when testing the DVD - it plays on all of my players, and computers.

I am using TDK DVD+R write once disks - I've used them many times without issue when burned on Windows XP machines running EMC9. The process I use is to output to folder sets, and use the "Copy and Convert" tool to burn the DVD. I burned two TDK DVD's and they seemed ok, but went to check them on a different Player I saw the "Check for Scratches ..." message.

I have the latest graphics, DirectX 10, and DirectX 9 and Audio drivers. Running Vista Home Premium (64 bit) OS.

Let me know if I've left out any important details.

Main system:

HP Pavillion d5000t quad core

6 G DDR2 SDRAM

Hitachi 750 G drive - HDS721075KLA330

Graphics cards - NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Vista)

DVD burner - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L

EMC 10.1

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit - SP1 build 6001

Try some Verbatim media, and see if they work.

Interesting you are having no issues playing back Memorex DVDRW. In that case, I suggest try using Memorex brand. What other players are you trying to play on?

A panasonic table top, and a Toshiba LCD TV with integral DVD player.

Try some Verbatim media, and see if they work.

I'll give them a try - Any idea in what's the issue with the different brands? Variation in manufacturing process, partical size??

I wonder if there are any media that can work on any/all players, or if anything produced will fail to play properly on some machine.

Is one format (+R, -R) less prone to problems?

A panasonic table top, and a Toshiba LCD TV with integral DVD player.

I'll give them a try - Any idea in what's the issue with the different brands? Variation in manufacturing process, partical size??

I wonder if there are any media that can work on any/all players, or if anything produced will fail to play properly on some machine.

Is one format (+R, -R) less prone to problems?

Lack of any quality management by some manufacturers. You usually don't hear of too many problems with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media.

Did you read post #17? Your LG must set the Book Type in its firmware, as I told you before, Roxio software doesn't set it. The NEC doesn't set it in it's firmware, I own one...

cd

Thanks CD,

I read it, but had missed the point you were making. I know setting the Booktype to DVD-Rom is helpful for some of the older players - Do you know of any downside where setting this to DVD-Rom causes problems for players that have no problem playing DVD +R disks?

One thought I had was to set the Booktype to DVD-Rom for one of the successful DVD, and test it out in the tabletop player. Any recommendations on a bitsetter that would work with the HL-DT-ST GH10L drive?

Another thought was to look for a tool for comparing two DVD's to analyze any/all differences.

Any thoughts? Know of any tools that would perform the comparison?

HP lists Optiarc as the manufacturer of the HL-DT-ST GH10L drive - I haven't been able to confirm in their product listings -Anyone know who makes them?

It shouldn't hurt to try DVDInfo Michael, when I tried it on my LG drive it just pointed out it wasn't a Ricoh drive and declined to do anything further.

Regards,

Brendon

Same message when I tried DVDInfo - e.g., may not be a Ricoh drive.

Oh well - worth a try

Lack of any quality management by some manufacturers. You usually don't hear of too many problems with Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media.

Just picked up a pack of verbatim -R's - Anyone have info on whether players have less issue with one format over another another?

Have a read around here....

cd

Thanks for the link - I don't know if I interpreted things correctly, and would welcome confirmation/correction.

From what I glean from the info the -R only exists because of the 5 year head start it had, and if all of the dvd players were magically replaced today with new models the -R format would die. I know some of the people that play the DVD's I assemble have players older than 2004, but I don't know if there are many of them.

I understand the concept of the BookType, and bitsetting, but don't see the benefit of a recorder setting the BookType to DVD-ROM when the format will actually be a DVD +R.

The other thing I don't know/understand is how a Booktype for DVD+R (which is 1010) is set by many recorders to a Booktype DVD-ROM (which is 0000). Is this region of the disc rewritable, or are the bits in the booktype region manufactured with a 1010 pattern, and have not been "burned" to be in this state? I looked at the blank DVD +R discs, and the Booktypes are set to 1010, and after recording they are really set to 0000.

I burned one of the Verbatim -R, and it played fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't quite know why the TDK + R's didn't work - unless they were marginal, combined with a new burner that exposed the susceptability. I've burned plenty of them without any issues before, but it was with a different burner/driver.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link - I don't know if I interpreted things correctly, and would welcome confirmation/correction.

From what I glean from the info the -R only exists because of the 5 year head start it had, and if all of the dvd players were magically replaced today with new models the -R format would die. I know some of the people that play the DVD's I assemble have players older than 2004, but I don't know if there are many of them.

Well, the -R format is considered to be not as advanced or versatile as the +R format. See here. However a number of companies have a foot in both camps [betting a buck each way] do the DVD dash format isn't very likely to disappear in the very near future.

I understand the concept of the BookType, and bitsetting, but don't see the benefit of a recorder setting the BookType to DVD-ROM when the format will actually be a DVD +R.

Players will recognize discs that their firmware tells them to recognize. Some of the older ones are only set to recognize DVD-ROM, so setting the booktype to that keeps the older player happy and it doesn't realize it's been fooled.

The other thing I don't know/understand is how a Booktype for DVD+R (which is 1010) is set by many recorders to a Booktype DVD-ROM (which is 0000). Is this region of the disc rewritable, or are the bits in the booktype region manufactured with a 1010 pattern, and have not been "burned" to be in this state? I looked at the blank DVD +R discs, and the Booktypes are set to 1010, and after recording they are really set to 0000.

The field is rewriteable with +RWs; writeable with +Rs; and stamped into the disc during manufacture for dash discs. That's why DVD dash is so inflexible.

Regards,

Brendon

LG Electronics, the company previously known as Lucky Goldstar. I don't know if the drive has bitsetting ability, or if LG have a bitsetting utility for it.

Thanks for the response - I wasn't able to find a listing on LG's site when cd had mentioned LG - that's when I called HP and they said it was an Optiarc. Do you have a link? I'm trying to get to a spec sheet/manual.

Same message when I tried DVDInfo - e.g., may not be a Ricoh drive.

Oh well - worth a try

For what it's worth, I have a little more data - I burned another TDK DVD +R after updating the firmware, and the PXEngine, and it plays in all the devices I have. Don't know if the successs was tied to either the firmware or PxEngine updates, media variations, or some other factor - I will be working on another video at the end of the week, and will be burning more TDK's. I'm hoping it's not just a coincidence, and the problem is resolved :)

I talked to LG Support, and as many have said, the drive is a LG drive. The fellow I talked to said the BookType is not changed automatically by the drive, and is only changed if the software explicitly sets it. Don't know if it's true, but the last burn of a TDK DVD+R disk has a Booktype of DVD-Rom, and the Panasonic DVD player has no problem playing it. So, the Booktype of DVD-Rom is not the source of the problem on the disks that fail to play.

Again, thanks for all the input and help.

Thanks for the response - I wasn't able to find a listing on LG's site when cd had mentioned LG - that's when I called HP and they said it was an Optiarc. Do you have a link? I'm trying to get to a spec sheet/manual.

In device manager under DVD/CD-Rom Drives does it list HL-DT-ST GH10L as a drive? If so he boys at HP are full of BOLOGA. Your drive is a LG made OEM for HP.

Sony NEC Optiarc Inc., which commenced operation on 3 April 2006, is a joint venture company established by Sony Corporation and NEC Corporation. ...

cd

Some of the older ones are only set to recognize DVD-ROM, so setting the booktype to that keeps the older player happy and it doesn't realize it's been fooled. post-97-1218203969.gif

post-97-1218204173.png

cd

Archived