• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Newbie - Copying Unprotected Dvd's (perfectly Legal Stuff, Honest!)

KevTom

Question

Hi everyone.

I'm new to Macs, newer to Roxio Toast and to burning DVDs.

My question is this - how long does it take to copy an un-protected DVD using Toast 9 Ti? I started copying the disk in question yesterday evening. Toast "extracted" the data in about 30 minutes, but has spent the past 6-and-a-half hours "verifyng" the disk. During this time, a blank DVD+R has been happily spinning in my iMac's dvd drive, and Toast continues to appear responsive when I right click ln the toast icon in the dock and when I check the Activity Monitor.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Kev.

4 answers to this question

My only guess is that your drive is not very pleased with the brand of media you are using. What you're experiencing is not at all normal. Verification typically takes less time than burning.

Did you use the Copy window? In the future you might choose Save as Disc Image first and then burn the DVD from that disc image file. That way you won't have one drive reading a disc while another drive is burning one, which can be a slow process.

In the future you might choose Save as Disc Image first and then burn the DVD from that disc image file. That way you won't have one drive reading a disc while another drive is burning one, which can be a slow process.

Cheers. That worked :)

Copying cd's works brilliantly without creating a disk image, so I presumed the same would apply with dvd's.

Thanks for your help.

Kev

I am wondering if you can say which brand of DVD's a MAC and Toast prefer. I realize that that this is often the case...some media is more suitable than others..For example, have you had experience with Sony? Thanks..Squirrel.

I haven't used Sony media Tthere was a time when I think it wasn't as good as it is now but I think the current Sony discs are working well. I typically use Verbatim media. For DVD media you can insert the blank disc and choose Disc Info in the Toast Recorder menu. In the window that appears there is a link to a site where Mac and PC users submit reports about media performance.

Also be sure to check if firmware updates are available for your drive.

Archived