Linus's Blanket

Willard M

Over the years I have developed a peculiar fondness for my very special mouse pad. Not unlike Linus's affection for his blanket. Now, I know, this is going to sound like some nutcake but hear me out.

I am motivated not only for my attachment to said mouse pad but also by the ghost of my Great Great Grandpa, Angus MacGeough, a frugal Scottish gentleman of the old school who passed along his frugal ways to me. I shudder to think of how Grandpa MacGeough would view my paying out $2.99 for a new mouse pad when I had a perfectly good mouse pad that had developed a stickyness causing my mouse pointer to do all sorts of strange things.

I tried all the normal cures for the stickyness. Washing with soap and water, Wiping with all kinds of special cloths, spraying with all kinds of slickum's and nothing seemed to help.

Finally, as a last desperate move to preserve my mouse pad and to keep Grandpa MacGeough from turning over in his grave I tried one last thing. I went out in the garage and found a very very clean wire brush similar to the kind you would clean car parts with. I went after my mouse pad with a vengeance. I scuffed it up in all directions leaving a sort of velvet feeling to it. It was either fix it or dump it.

It has been a week now and my mouse is gliding over my reclaimed mouse pad like Kristy Yamguchi on clean ice. Grandpa MacGeough would be very proud of me.

Willard M

When I was having a problem with the mouse, I turned my attention to its innards - and finally realized that, altho the roller ball was clean, the things it rolled against didn't have felt rollers, that was accumulated gunk over the metal. I removed the gunk, and the mouse returned to normal operation. From time to time I get a little more of the felted stuff out, but it's never been allowed to build up to prior levels.

Lynn

I do remember one time whacking off the gunge on the rollers and being asked "But doesn't it NEED those rubber bands??" :lol:

Anyway - I prefer a 'female' mouse these days (and for those who don't know what a female mouse is, it has a certain part missing that a male mouse would have ;) )

Archived