Why Can I Import Vhs But Not Hdv From Camera?

paularenson

Question

Ok, I bought a Canopus ADVC110 and plugged my VHS in one and and used firewire to output a digital signal. Monitors and records fine in Toast (and also Imovie).

I also hooked up my Canon Digital Video camera directly to Apple's firewire port and can also see that video in Imovie. Nothing shows up in Toast. Is this because the video I am playing is HDV and maybe Toast cannot read it> I haqve no normal non High Definition videos to check.

Thanks in advance.

paul

4 answers to this question

1. Use iMovie (iLife8) to capture HD video from Canon cam

2. Toast can play with the natively captured iMovie files (1920x1080 or 1440x1080 pix) - don't forget: iMovie doesn't deliver HD material, so you can't cut with iMovie (latest Final Cut Express works fine with that, you can capture with that, too)

2a. To burn HD material to BD or even DVD (for Blue-ray players only) you'll need to get the HD plugin for Toast

Sorry to jump in but I am also in the same boat (the cutting edge of HD home movies on BD) and am trial and erroring( and error, and error, and error..)my way to utopia and have spent tons of money (beefed up mac pro, sony fx7, final cut studio) just to watch my #$^@ kids learn to walk (in HD !!!!).

So my point and question is -What do you mean that iMovie 08 can not deliver HD- can I just export as QT movie and pick the HDV 1080i settings with 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 for that matter?

Jason

Ok, I bought a Canopus ADVC110 and plugged my VHS in one and and used firewire to output a digital signal. Monitors and records fine in Toast (and also Imovie).

I also hooked up my Canon Digital Video camera directly to Apple's firewire port and can also see that video in Imovie. Nothing shows up in Toast. Is this because the video I am playing is HDV and maybe Toast cannot read it> I haqve no normal non High Definition videos to check.

Thanks in advance.

paul

1. Use iMovie (iLife8) to capture HD video from Canon cam

2. Toast can play with the natively captured iMovie files (1920x1080 or 1440x1080 pix) - don't forget: iMovie doesn't deliver HD material, so you can't cut with iMovie (latest Final Cut Express works fine with that, you can capture with that, too)

2a. To burn HD material to BD or even DVD (for Blue-ray players only) you'll need to get the HD plugin for Toast

So my point and question is -What do you mean that iMovie 08 can not deliver HD- can I just export as QT movie and pick the HDV 1080i settings with 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 for that matter?

Sorry for not being precise ... of course you can export as QT. I thought of having ready-to-go blue-ray files without re-encoding with Toast ...

Toast's Plug and Burn feature is only for standard definition DV video which is what your Canopus creates. Actually I'm surprised it worked with the Canopus because Toast used to only work with DV camcorders. This may be a new capability for me to check out.

To import from your camcorder choose AVCHD Camcorder with the top button of the Toast Media Browser. See Toast Help for info.

Archived