• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Overlays Disappear

rutica

Question

In the internal tracks of one of my slides, I have Ovl1, Text1, Ovl2, Text 2. In Timeline view editing Internal Tracks everything looks okay, but when i click Done, my Text1 doesn't show up because it's behind Ovl1. Ovl1 takes up the whole screen.

Is there some kind of 'bring to front' that I can click to force Text1 to be in front of Ovl1? Is there a strict order of operations that must be done when adding overlays to make sure nothing is on top of something else?

My Ovl2 and Text 2 show up in front of Ovl1, but for some reason, I can only see Text1 if I make Ovl1 smaller (which I don't want to do-I was only doing to test it).

Thanks,

By 'presentation', i mean previewing it in Storyboard view.

I click 'Edit Internal Tracks' and I see the text and overlays like I want. Then I click "Done" to go back to the Storyboard view. I click Play and the words disappear while previewing in Storyboard view.

could it be a driver problem? i was searching this error on this forum yesterday, and thought i read something about a driver causing this problem. i looked again and couldn't find the question though.

thanks for trying to help!

Are you certain that it's ov1 that's the problem? Strange things happen when I add ov2. My text1 disappeared.

Wonder if this is an ATI driver / hardware render issue?

Gary, I think I experienced this while creating a production in software render, but I can't be certain. I'll let you know if it comes up again and the circumstances. Thanks for the heads up on HoverSnap :)

I still didn't have a problem. What are you using as Ovl 2, ml? As you can see in my screenshot, everything is dispalyed correctly. Maybe it's an issue with the the Ovl2 source file?

Rutica - out of curiousity, why are you using the MPEG files as an overlay if it is going to cover the entire area? If it's just an orange moving background, you could just place in on the Main track and get the same affect.

post-49-1218548711.jpg

thanks for writing. but that is how i had it.

Video (I have a color panel that is white)

Ovl1

Text1

Ovl2

Text2

Text1 doesn't show up because of Ovl1.

Ovl1 is a mpg file and it takes up the whole screen. It is a light orange slowly moving background. Since it's in position Ovl1, it should be the bottom layer, right?

On the 'Edit Internal Tracks' everything looks fine. It's only in the presentation that I can no longer see the text.

Could it be a driver problem?

thanks,

Rutica - You are not going crazy. I have had the EXACT problems as you in the past. I will tell you what worked for me and I have no idea why it worked but did. For whichever text or overlay isn't appearing, create another text track (or overlay track) right after it (so if it is text 1, create a text 2 track). Make sure your next text track or overlay track is IDENTICAL to the original one. See if having both text tracks or overlays there allows it to appear. This has worked for me in the past. I have NO idea why, but it does. Let us know if it works.

Rachel

thanks to all for writing. I finally finished my presentation in Videowave. it is 20 minutes long.

within my presentation, i took gifs, used Windows Movie Maker to turn them into wmv files, and then added them to some of my slides as 'internal overlays on selected track'. I did this about 15 different times with different wmvs to different slides.

after burning to disc, half of the overlays move, but the rest don't. While viewing the slides in the preview pane of Videowave, all looks fine though. it's only after Output that it doesn't work. actually, i can see the overlays not moving while watching the output process. as it renders the movie, i can see the overlays not moving in the preview of the burn process.

this is what I tried for troubleshooting:

update my video card driver

update Direct X

disable all start up items in msconfig

turn off router

disable all Mcafee (firewall and virus scan)

run Windows Washer which removes temp files, empties recycle bin, deletes cookies, etc.

rebooted when required of course

tried rendering with both Hardware and Software

choose Best Quality instead of Fit to Disk

opened MyDVD from Start, Programs, Roxio (instead of the main EMC window)

in MyDVD, choose to make only an Image (ISO) file

burned at 4x (the slowest option)

deleted the non-moving overlays in my Videowave presentation and added them again

did an Output in Videowave as MPEG-2 Best. Then used MyDVD (DVD, no menus) to burn the mpg file.

burned the dmsm file using MyDVD

no matter what, i can't get the 7 or 8 overlays to have motion. They appear, they just don't move.

do i have to delete the .DAT file? any other troubleshooting tips to try?

thanks,

Are all these on the same internal or external tracks? Or is the Ovl1 external and the Txt1 on internal? that would make a difference.

The external tracks are rendered on top of the internal tracks. If you have the Text on in the internal tracks and the Overlay on the external track, then what you are getting is correct.

thanks to all for writing.

This is the thread I was reading that seemed like a similar problem:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...c=38031&hl=

Walt: my steps are:

In Storyline, i right clicked on a blank slide and selected 'insert color panel' and choose white. then i clicked on 'add photo/video', then selected 'sunny.mpg'. i choose 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'.

then i clicked 'add text effect', basic black, 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'. i typed "text1". then i clicked 'done'.

then i clicked 'add photo/video' and choose a gif file. i selected 'insert as overlay'. i dragged the gif to the upper left corner of the page so it's small. then i clicked 'done'.

then i clicked 'add text effect', basic black, 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'. i typed "text2". then i clicked 'done'.

if i look at 'internal tracks', all looks fine. but when i click 'done', i don't see text 1.

ML: i know it's ovl1 because if i make ovl1 smaller, i see text1 behind it.

Gary: you're right, i fixed it yesterday by just adding 'sunny.mpg' as a video file and putting the text as overlays on top of it. i was just so curious to make it work.

Rachel: your way worked! i tested it by adding 5 text boxes to the slide: txt1, txt2, txt3, txt4 and txt5. For some reason, only txt1 disappears. so i just know i have to make txt1 and txt 2 the same to be able to see it.

it's weird, but it's a great workaround.

thanks again to all for writing!

I've gone through your steps 3 or 4 times and can't reproduce the problem. Do you two have similar video cards? Just wondering if it is a video card issue.

Me, too. I cannot duplicate the issue of text1 not showing up if you use all 5 text tracks. And the computer I am using now does not even have a dedicated video card.

post-114-1218595802.jpg

Gary: My specs are:

CPU: Intel Celeron 3.20 GHz

RAM: 1 GB

Empty hard drive space: 40 GB

Used hard drive space: 192 GB

Win XP Professional

VideoWave 10

DVD drive: Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P65

Vision Tek XTASY Radeon X1300 AGP based graphics card

How do you insert a screenshot into this forum? I can show you what it looks like for me...

Malatekid: My text 1 doesn't show up only if i have an Ovl1 that takes up the whole screen. i didn't see an overlay in your screenshot. Also, all my overlays and text are in the internal tracks.

thanks

Walt: my steps are:

In Storyline, i right clicked on a blank slide and selected 'insert color panel' and choose white. then i clicked on 'add photo/video', then selected 'sunny.mpg'. i choose 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'.

then i clicked 'add text effect', basic black, 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'. i typed "text1". then i clicked 'done'.

then i clicked 'add photo/video' and choose a gif file. i selected 'insert as overlay'. i dragged the gif to the upper left corner of the page so it's small. then i clicked 'done'.

then i clicked 'add text effect', basic black, 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'. i typed "text2". then i clicked 'done'.

if i look at 'internal tracks', all looks fine. but when i click 'done', i don't see text 1.

I just followed your steps exactly and cannot duplicate your problem.

Below are 2 screenshots: the top one shows the internal tracks and you can see "text 1" in red. the 2nd shot is on the main view after pressing done and it also shows "text 1" in red.

BTW, I assume that when you add the gif file above you meant 'insert as internal overlay on selected panel'

post-103-1218601937.jpg

post-103-1218601924.jpg

The tracks are rendered bottom UP. Kinda backwards :) If you have this:

Main Track

Txt 1

Ovl 1

Ovl 2

Txt 2

Then Txt 2 is the upper most 'layer'. Unfortunately, there is no way to rearrange track order without starting over. To get this one the way you want, you would have to remove all the tracks and add them back in the correct order. If you want Text 1 'on top' of Ovl 1, it should be:

Main Track

Ovl 1

Txt 1

Ovl 2

Txt 2

But in this case Txt 2 and Ovl 2 will still be 'on top' of Txt 1 and Ovl1.

I learned that lesson the hard way too. :) Try to plan a little ahead and add the tracks you need in the order you need them. It gets even more confusing when you also have external tracks. I think the internal tracks are always rendered together before mixing with external tracks. Has been awhile since I messed around with internal tracks.

you mean where it says 'reset don't show again' message?

can you explain what the .dat file is and what it does.

Edit: one thing i forgot to mention, for troubleshooting, I also did a clean install of Videowave following the instructions on another post.

thanks,

Walt, yes, inserting my gif was 'internal overlay track of selected panel.'

well, i got brave tonight. i made a Windows Restore Point, uninstalled my old drivers and reinstalled the new. so far so good. nothing crashed. :-)

Then i deleted my .dat file and ran a new Tools/Options/Graphics Test. It told me to render with Hardware, but i switched it back to Software, because Hardware was extra slow.

Nothing got much better after updating the drivers though. Videowave is still slow in general and my overlay problem is still happening.

it's actually even worse. before, just text 1 wouldn't show up on top of an overlay. but now text 1 and text 2 don't show up on the overlay.

so now i have to add 4 text boxes just to see 2 boxes on the overlay. the first two text boxes just disappear.

all 4 boxes are in the 'internal overlay track of the selected panel.'

but again, while i'm in 'Edit Internal Tracks', all looks fine and i see all 4 boxes. It's only after i click 'Done' and exit the 'Internal Tracks' that the boxes disappear. Strange.

oh, and today my husband doubled the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB. but not much difference in speed. oh well.

thanks again for your help!

PS-if someone wants to see a screenshot, let me know and also please let me know how to post a screenshot on this forum.

thanks.

let me know and also please let me know how to post a screenshot on this forum.

Rutica - To post a screenshot, you need to use Photobucket and upload your photo there and then grab the URL and insert it. As for actually getting the screenshot, if you have VISTA, you can use the snipping tool (I think that is what it is called) and it will make a copy of your screen and you can save it as a jpeg. If you don't have VISTA, I am not sure how to do this. Hope that helps.

Oh, and I am glad my workaround helped you out.

Rachel

you mean where it says 'reset don't show again' message?

thanks,

Read my message above again. :( No, I do not mean don't show again. :o

Dat file has nothing to do with your problem. Removing that just fixes the quality of the preview if it has become corrupted.

thanks sknis.

I didn't have access to my Videowave this weekend. (and I still don't). My husband had been wanting to upgrade our computer's CPU to a Intel Dual Core Processor. He was waiting for me to finish my movie first though.

I burned a copy of my movie. It was acceptable, but could have been better since half the wmvs weren't moving. So I thought that maybe upgrading the computer might help fix the problem.

But the CPU upgrade didn't go smoothly. The computer won't boot up anymore. He tried to put the old CPU back, but that also doesn't boot up anymore! So I temporarily lost access to Videowave and my presentation. Hopefully he'll get it back up.

Luckily my movie was done though. The party was yesterday and everyone loved the movie. (I made a 50th anniversary movie of my parent's lives). I still want to fix it though and post it on youtube if I can.

When I get my computer back up, I'll check on Tools, Options and look for Proxy Files.

Thanks!

Archived