• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can't Change "recording" Options

Computerless

Question

I can't burn cds because there isn't enough space on my C drive for the "image" of the CD to be written. I went to Properties and the Recording tab, and switched the "Select a drive where Windows can store an "image" of the CD to be written" box to my D drive, which is my second hardrive and has more than enough space. Still, when I try to burn it, it tries to store the image in the C drive. I go back to double check and it still has it set to the D drive.

Does anyone know what's going on?

4 answers to this question

Alright. CD writing wizard is a part of XP burning component. The burn engine does belong to Roxio but the application is owned by MS. I don't think there is a possibility to change the location of the staging area of files that are stored by the wizard. You can verify this by inserting a blank disc in the drive, add a file to the wizard and rt click to get the location of the file from Properties. It should be, "Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning". Contact MS to see if there is an option to do this. If not, your best bet would be to clear Temp files etc. to achieve results. Here is the read.

Alright. CD writing wizard is a part of XP burning component. The burn engine does belong to Roxio but the application is owned by MS. I don't think there is a possibility to change the location of the staging area of files that are stored by the wizard. You can verify this by inserting a blank disc in the drive, add a file to the wizard and rt click to get the location of the file from Properties. It should be, "Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning". Contact MS to see if there is an option to do this. If not, your best bet would be to clear Temp files etc. to achieve results. Here is the read.

Unfortunately the read doesn't provide any answers. It tells me how I should be able to switch the staging area, but not why it flat out isn't working. And apparently any further assistance will cost me a bunch of money. Any tips on how to sort out stuff in my C drive? I only have 383 MB of free space on it. I need a gig to burn.

Unfortunately the read doesn't provide any answers. It tells me how I should be able to switch the staging area, but not why it flat out isn't working. And apparently any further assistance will cost me a bunch of money. Any tips on how to sort out stuff in my C drive? I only have 383 MB of free space on it. I need a gig to burn.

With only 383MB of free space its a wonder you can do anything at all on your computer.

For a start clean out your temp files, move your important data to another drive and dump all useless programs.

The best solution is to get a much larger system drive

Seeing you have a second drive, try the following:

1: go to start, My Documents and right click on its entry in the menu and select 'Properties'. Change the destination from C:\ to D:\ and, when prompted, let it move the files

2: open control panel, system and click on the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom there is a box for 'Environment Variables'. Make a Temp folder on your D drive and change the location of TMP and TEMP to D:\Temp. Under 'Performance' again go to advanced and change the pagefile location from C to D. I would advise setting the pagefile to a fixed value with the same min and max values (roughly double your system RAM). The pagefile setting is for a separate physical drive - don't do it if your second drive is just a partition

That should free up quite a bit of space on C

Archived