Dvd Images Blurry

penne

Question

Hi

I've now used Videowave a number of times for input and used MyDVD to convert my family 8mm tapes to DVD. When capturing via Videowave the tape image was high quality and quite sharp, perhaps due to the small screen.

However when I convert them to DVD via MyDVD the image is quite blurry. I even changed the TV settings to 4.3 but it's quite blurry. Perhaps my expextations are too high tranferring the analoge 8MM to DVD, I'm not sure. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dimension 521

Windows XP Media SP2

AMD Athlon 62x2, Dual Core Processor 5000+

2046 RAM

Directx 9.0c

nVidia GeForce 7000 LE

11 answers to this question

I just viewed the original tape on my TV and the tape is fine not exactly 100% but I take into account it is an 8mm analogue tape. I didn't get any software with the camcorder so I'm capturing via Hauppauge in Roxio Media Import it's the only option I'm given.

I just viewed the original tape on my TV and the tape is fine not exactly 100% but I take into account it is an 8mm analogue tape. I didn't get any software with the camcorder so I'm capturing via Hauppauge in Roxio Media Import it's the only option I'm given.

I meant the software that came with the card (if any).

Sorry, no, from what I can see I don't think there is any other capturing software apart from what is in EMC9

Go to the Dell site (link) and update the drivers for your computer. There are too many Dimension 521 (laptop, desktop, c series, e series, etc.) that I could not post a link for your computer.

When I looked at a couple of models, Hauppage was not the company that supplied TV cards for that computer. Are you sure?

If you bought it as a stand alone, look at the installation disc to see if there is video capture software on the disc.

Hi

I've now used Videowave a number of times for input and used MyDVD to convert my family 8mm tapes to DVD. When capturing via Videowave the tape image was high quality and quite sharp, perhaps due to the small screen.

However when I convert them to DVD via MyDVD the image is quite blurry. I even changed the TV settings to 4.3 but it's quite blurry. Perhaps my expextations are too high tranferring the analoge 8MM to DVD, I'm not sure. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dimension 521

Windows XP Media SP2

AMD Athlon 62x2, Dual Core Processor 5000+

2046 RAM

Directx 9.0c

nVidia GeForce 7000 LE

What quality setting are you using to burn to DVD? How did you capture the video to hard drive? What capture format?

What quality setting are you using to burn to DVD? How did you capture the video to hard drive? What capture format?

I captured the video by saving it to my c drive (composite video) Hauppage WinTV PCI II, I used HQ settings to burn also this setting when capturing

I assume you captured to mpeg2 video. How does it look when you play it using Windows Media Player?

I just played one now in WMP and it's still blurry, not sure if I understand the "captured to mpeg2 video" I can't see this option in the Roxio Media Import when I capture the video, am I looking in the correct spot?

I just played one now in WMP and it's still blurry, not sure if I understand the "captured to mpeg2 video" I can't see this option in the Roxio Media Import when I capture the video, am I looking in the correct spot?

Have you looked for updated drivers and software for that Hauppage WinTV PCI II, device? I went to their web site but I could find one without knowing the exact model number. Is it a Heritage device (several years old?)

Have you tried using the software that came with the device to capture the video? You can always edit the files with EMC after they are captured.

How old are the tapes? Do they look OK when viewed on a TV? Have you tried cleaning/demagnetizing the heads on the tape player?

If that card has different capture options, there should be a drop down box with the options. Some devices give you no choice.

I don't have one of those cards so perhaps someone with one can give better options. From the web site it looks like it does mpg2 capture (rather than AVI or other)

Go to the Dell site (link) and update the drivers for your computer. There are too many Dimension 521 (laptop, desktop, c series, e series, etc.) that I could not post a link for your computer.

When I looked at a couple of models, Hauppage was not the company that supplied TV cards for that computer. Are you sure?

If you bought it as a stand alone, look at the installation disc to see if there is video capture software on the disc.

Thanks for your assistance.

The hauppage definately came with the pc from Dell. I did check the Dell sight a couple of weeks ago for driver upgrades.

You have to remember that the output quality of standard VHS is a lot lower than even a TV broadcast signal - when they talk of 'horizontal resolution' they mean that it's only capable of 240 vertical lines across the screen (as opposed to the US TV standard of 483 vertical lines) and this will lead to a blurry effect. For more info, see this article

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1_1/v1n1vcrs.html

S-VHS is about double standard VHS - but will still produce the blurred effect when viewed on a high resolution monitor.

When you convert an image to DVD, it will never be of a higher quality than the original. How does the final product on DVD look on your TV, when compared with the original tape?

Archived