Capture Stops Every 30 Seconds

krus54

Question

I had this problem on EMC 9 and I upgraded to V10 thinking that it would resolve the problem, but it hasn't.

I'm trying to capture HI8 video using my Sony DCR-TRV480 connected to my PC with a firewire cable.

Right on the 30 second mark the capture stops....EVERY SINGLE TIME. The "Set Capture Length" box is NOT checked.

Can someone please please please help with this problem? Is it a problem with the particular camcorder and the way it works with EMC 9 and 10? I did NOT have this problem with older versions of the product. It worked fine.

Thanks in advance

You can also try this using a DirectX control.

Windows>Start>Run> Type in dxdiag> Click OK> go to the display tab and turn off the acceleration.

OK, I did that...didn't help. Still stopped at the 30 second mark. :-(

I guess the simplest thing to do is just to use the Windows Movie Maker to capture the analog videos I want. I'm really not sure WHY it doesn't work, but at least I have an alternative!

Thanks. I'm still willing to try other suggestions, though!

Dave

ggrussell,

I have the exact same problem that began this thread. I do believe it is a analog tape problem because the older tapes I'm trying to capture only go for 30" then you have to recapture. I cannot capture whole tape, still stops at 30". When I go to Plug & Burn it won't recognize the tape in the camera. I'm sure its a compatibility issue, using a Sony dcr-tr310. I attempted using Win Movie Maker, but same result, shows "no tape" when trying to capture but am able to view the tape if I manually use the Play Button. Still looking for solutions to transfer and burn older tapes, any suggestions from the forum are welcome.

thanks,

kagke

Warning !

I googled for that camera and came up with a site that gave the false virus warning and wanted to download a scam/malware program so be careful.

I went to the Sony site and could not find that camera. How old is is and what part of the world do you live in? Is the designation you gave correct?

Does it have pass through capabilities and do you have the old camera? If so, you connect the original camera to the digital camera you have and capture that way.

Of course, if you have the original camera, you could get an USB A/D converter and capture direct.

Perhaps you have a friend with an old camera or can find one pretty cheap.

And to the best of my knowledge we have never found a cause or a solution???

I am not happy with installed an old version as most users will not have that option to fall back on. Nor do I understand why that would work…

As I said, when you play a Hi8 tape in the Sony, it is not a camcorder anymore but merely an external Analogue to Digital converter.

On my side the only variable that changed was the version of the software. I'm using same camcorder, same computer, and same tapes that I used before. I did upgrade drivers but that was after I started having the problems. It is strange that my old Roxio version (I believe it was 7.5) also had no problems with the capture of the analog tapes. It's only when I upgraded to EMC 9 and 10 that I ran into this problem. So, wouldn't the fact that my old Roxio version had no problems, and others are running into the same 30 second issue with the analog tapes, even using a different camcorder seem to indicate that something in the new versions of EMC changed to cause this?

In one of the threads you didn't bother to respond to, ggrussel stated that he had the same camcorder and it works fine, so that isn't the answer.

Many millions used V9 and are using V10 without this problem…

Thanks for the follow-up. ggrussell said in his post that he was using the TRV740 which is a different model than mine. I have tried all the suggestions, updated drivers and I'm still having the same problem.

Thanks for the follow-up. ggrussell said in his post that he was using the TRV740 which is a different model than mine. I have tried all the suggestions, updated drivers and I'm still having the same problem.

What were your answers to my post? :)

Also, did you try checking the Set Capture Length to, say, 10 minutes or so to see if it can go past the 30 second mark?

Did you ever post your computer specs? Put the information in your signature.

Try this guess. Go to the control panel for your video card/chip and turn OFF video acceleration. You can also do it using Windows dxdiag.

In order to do a good screen capture (I know, not the same) using Camtasia Studio, the recommendation is to ^#!& off acceleration.

Hmmm, will try this...not sure how to turn off video acceleration. Is that through Device Manager? I hopefully have added the computer specs to my signature.

Thanks!

Dave

ggrussell,

I have the exact same problem that began this thread. I do believe it is a analog tape problem because the older tapes I'm trying to capture only go for 30" then you have to recapture. I cannot capture whole tape, still stops at 30". When I go to Plug & Burn it won't recognize the tape in the camera. I'm sure its a compatibility issue, using a Sony dcr-tr310. I attempted using Win Movie Maker, but same result, shows "no tape" when trying to capture but am able to view the tape if I manually use the Play Button. Still looking for solutions to transfer and burn older tapes, any suggestions from the forum are welcome.

thanks,

kagke

That camera is at least 8 years old and unless it has a Firewire connection I don't think EMC will be able to capture from it.

I was merely reading for interest's sake until I noticed that the OP mentions trying to capture Hi8 tapes.

I've had experience with my father's camera (Sony) which isn't very old but is backwards compatible to use Hi8 or digital so that he can copy over his thousands of old tapes.

At the time I was using ver.7 but encountered a similar situation in that it would seem to capture but nothing really became of the effort.

My solution was to buy a cable to transfer camcorder (Sony), to camcorder (Canon which I knew worked for me), then capture from my Canon. The OP may not have the funds to buy another camcorder, but if you could beg or borrow one, it may be a work-around to the capture problem. That is, if it isn't the computer, program, firewire (or lack thereof) or so on.

good luck

Can you test this out on another computer with Windows movie Maker? If that works then we can eliminate the camcorder as part of the problem.

I just tested it here with my TRV740 and was able to capture over 5 min of analog 8mm using firewire.

Are you running WinXP with Service Pack 3? If I remember correctly, Microsoft had several updates to the firewire drivers over the years. If you can't get the camcorder working properly, the only solution is what Steve suggested.

Hmmm, will try this...not sure how to turn off video acceleration. Is that through Device Manager? I hopefully have added the computer specs to my signature.

Thanks!

Dave

It's through your video card software, and not all have the ability to turn off video acceleration. My higher end Radeon does not have that option.

What were your answers to my post? :)

Also, did you try checking the Set Capture Length to, say, 10 minutes or so to see if it can go past the 30 second mark?

Wow, I'm not doing well, here, huh? :blink: I did try the Set Capture Length to different intervals like 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc., but again no luck. This has been incredibly frustrating because while my earlier version worked fine (I think it was v4.5) with the same camcorder and same PC, these two versions are not.

I didn't get a "no signal message" and there's no gaps in the recording where it stops...right at the 30 second mark, every time, the recording stops and I have to press the "Capture Now" button to start it again. I am trying the capture using the Windows Movie Maker and it's capturing without stopping...but I shouldn't have to use a different program to capture and then import into EMC.

Wow, I'm not doing well, here, huh? :blink: I did try the Set Capture Length to different intervals like 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc., but again no luck. This has been incredibly frustrating because while my earlier version worked fine (I think it was v4.5) with the same camcorder and same PC, these two versions are not.

I didn't get a "no signal message" and there's no gaps in the recording where it stops...right at the 30 second mark, every time, the recording stops and I have to press the "Capture Now" button to start it again. I am trying the capture using the Windows Movie Maker and it's capturing without stopping...but I shouldn't have to use a different program to capture and then import into EMC.

Any chance you have a dvd recorder? If you don't want to go the WMM route, the only thing I can think of is a workaround where your burn the recording onto a disc, which you then capture from your disc drive. :mellow:

Any chance you have a dvd recorder? If you don't want to go the WMM route, the only thing I can think of is a workaround where your burn the recording onto a disc, which you then capture from your disc drive. :mellow:

I think I have finally figured out the pattern on the problem I've been having with the capture stopping every 30 seconds. My Sony DCR-TRV480 will play HI8 tapes or Digital 8. I have found that the capture stops ONLY on the older Hi8 analog tapes but continues to capture past that 30 second point on the Digital 8 tapes.

Since I was starting to create this presentation by capturing segments of video from a few years ago, the only tapes I had been using were the Hi8. When I got to the Digital 8, EMC captured as much as I wanted.

Now, the Windows Movie Maker does not have any problem at all with the capture from the analog tapes from this camcorder. And the older version of EMC I used (I think v7.5) had no problem. Any idea why this would be a problem with EMC 9 and 10?

Thanks,

Dave

The Sony Digital 8mm camcorders 'digitize' the analog tape on-the-fly so they can be captured via firewire 'as if' they were digital tape. There should be no difference as far as the software is concerned. We have had other posters with the same problem with other models.

What I did do was take out my old Roxio videowave program and installed it. I knew it had worked before.

Which version? Did you install it with EMC 10 already installed?

I had this problem on EMC 9 and I upgraded to V10 thinking that it would resolve the problem, but it hasn't.

I'm trying to capture HI8 video using my Sony DCR-TRV480 connected to my PC with a firewire cable.

Right on the 30 second mark the capture stops....EVERY SINGLE TIME. The "Set Capture Length" box is NOT checked.

Can someone please please please help with this problem? Is it a problem with the particular camcorder and the way it works with EMC 9 and 10? I did NOT have this problem with older versions of the product. It worked fine.

Thanks in advance

You get a no signal message? No gaps in your recording, correct? That would trigger a stop.

Have you tried to capture using Windows Movie Maker?

Did you ever post your computer specs? Put the information in your signature.

Try this guess. Go to the control panel for your video card/chip and turn OFF video acceleration. You can also do it using Windows dxdiag.

In order to do a good screen capture (I know, not the same) using Camtasia Studio, the recommendation is to turn off acceleration.

To all thanks for the suggestions,

I'm using my old Sony camcorder, DCR-TRV310, with a firewire, XP sp3. Both Creator and Windows MM recognize the camera and I'm able to capture. What I did do was take out my old Roxio videowave program and installed it. I knew it had worked before. After install and reboot everything worked in Win MM. Creator 10 still only captures 30" at a time with a Hi8 tape but, at least it recognizes the camera. The windows work around will just have to do for the older tapes unless someone else has any suggestions.

Thanks again for the advise,

Kagke

You posted about this in September of 2007 while using V9.

Then you made a me too, me too posting in December 2007 in someone else's thread…

You post, but never respond to suggestions and have been quite for the last 8 months???

It is not the Program! Nor is it the Camcorder!

That leaves the Firewire and your PC. Here a KB article covering your problem.

The Sony Digital 8mm camcorders 'digitize' the analog tape on-the-fly so they can be captured via firewire 'as if' they were digital tape. There should be no difference as far as the software is concerned. We have had other posters with the same problem with other models.

Which version? Did you install it with EMC 10 already installed?

And to the best of my knowledge we have never found a cause or a solution???

I am not happy with installed an old version as most users will not have that option to fall back on. Nor do I understand why that would work…

As I said, when you play a Hi8 tape in the Sony, it is not a camcorder anymore but merely an external Analogue to Digital converter.

I was having the exact same problem. Sony TRV480 with capture stopping every thirty seconds. This has been interesting and helpful. I just tried Windows Movie Maker and it works fine (phew). I had a question about turning of my video accelerator. I see I have three choices - - I can disable: Direct Draw, Direct 3d, or AGP Texture. My card is Nvidia. Any advice hear would be appreciated.

There must an issue with the newer D8 Sony camcorders or Sony changed something. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem with my TRV740 which I think is an older model (abt 6yr old).

If you capture using WMM, you can still use WMM to output to DV AVI for best possible quality.

As for nVidia settings, set to 'let 3D app decide' which usually works for most users.

post-49-1221399561.jpg

Archived