Random Photos Replaced By Crossed Out Red Circle...

dstempak

Question

Hi again,

Another recent problem - I am working on a new production and after importing all the photos late last night, I noticed this morning that every time I open the production, certain random photos are replaced with a crossed out red circle in the storyboard. If (and this does not always happen) when the production is opened the preview is properly loaded then I can still play the production and the photos that seem to be crossed out do appear normally. However, sometimes the "generating preview" status bar at the bottom of the screen cuts out prematurely...in that case, I cannot do anything with my production - it won't play at all.

The only thing I can think of is this...these photos have been provided by a friend and some of the file names are very long. However, the "affected" photos are random (I could open the production 5 times and the affected files will be different) and the affected files don't always have long file names.

Has anyone had this happen to them? So far I have only imported the photos...I don't want to continue to work on this production until I get this sorted out in case the only solution is to start all over.

Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diana

3 answers to this question

Hi again,

Another recent problem - I am working on a new production and after importing all the photos late last night, I noticed this morning that every time I open the production, certain random photos are replaced with a crossed out red circle in the storyboard. If (and this does not always happen) when the production is opened the preview is properly loaded then I can still play the production and the photos that seem to be crossed out do appear normally. However, sometimes the "generating preview" status bar at the bottom of the screen cuts out prematurely...in that case, I cannot do anything with my production - it won't play at all.

The only thing I can think of is this...these photos have been provided by a friend and some of the file names are very long. However, the "affected" photos are random (I could open the production 5 times and the affected files will be different) and the affected files don't always have long file names.

Has anyone had this happen to them? So far I have only imported the photos...I don't want to continue to work on this production until I get this sorted out in case the only solution is to start all over.

Any advice is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Diana

A codec problem....challenge more likely. Sometimes some programs don't like to share their codecs. Try Prefup and see if it works....most of the time it does. Reboot after running it.

Thanks for your answer - I tried it but it did not work. I ended up renaming all the photos (with shorter file names) and reimporting them into VideoWave. The new production seems to be stable...for now....though in some cases, the jpegs I was using would not be "importable". I converted them to bitmaps and they went in OK...this is very strange...I just finished another slide show last week and had none of these issues. Could there be something strange going on with files?

I was kind of hoping that that running prefup would fix the other problem I'm having of the blue question marks appearing when I few fonts, transitions and overlays (instead of the thumbnail previews) but it did not. Any thoughts on why that is happening? I hope posted a separate question about that but so far no one has responded.

Any experience with Roxio 8? I'm thinking of upgrading but these bugs are rather annoying and if they also exist in the newest version, I'm not sure I'm interested.

Thanks,

Diana

Thanks for your answer - I tried it but it did not work. I ended up renaming all the photos (with shorter file names) and reimporting them into VideoWave. The new production seems to be stable...for now....though in some cases, the jpegs I was using would not be "importable". I converted them to bitmaps and they went in OK...this is very strange...I just finished another slide show last week and had none of these issues. Could there be something strange going on with files?

I was kind of hoping that that running prefup would fix the other problem I'm having of the blue question marks appearing when I few fonts, transitions and overlays (instead of the thumbnail previews) but it did not. Any thoughts on why that is happening? I hope posted a separate question about that but so far no one has responded.

Any experience with Roxio 8? I'm thinking of upgrading but these bugs are rather annoying and if they also exist in the newest version, I'm not sure I'm interested.

Thanks,

Diana

I have the latest version of 8 and have not had that problem but did early on in 7. A few posts reported this same problem in 8 but for some reason only about 75% of the time does this work. I've had some people try it 3 or 4 times with reboots when it finally worked.

There are many things about 8 I like but depending on your personal usage, I can't say one way or another if you should upgrade. I use many parts of the suite every day.

Archived