Burn Time For Tv Programs To Dvd

Jeff6368

Question

Hi All,

I've bought the Easy Creator 10 recently and used it to burn some DVDs from my camcorder. This worked fine and I managed to create some neat DVDs from video taken with my camcorder and digital photos from my camera.

Question: I have a tv tuner on my PC and used it to tape some tv programs. I've used video wave option to edit and trim the recorded programs and when I tried to burn to disk, it works but it takes forever to process. I let it run the whole night and only 10% of the encoding is done. When I used the same process to burn DVD from my camcorder video files (mentioned above), this worked fine and only took about 10 mins to burn a DVD with about 1 hr of playing time. The edited TV program is about 1.5 hours long but it took all night (8 hrs) and only 10% is done so far. This will take days before the job is done.

Any help & suggestions why this takes so long? I've noticed that when I pulled the recorded tv programs to the storyline on video wave, the program said it needed to convert the file beforehand but it was done quickly and I can trim & edit it as usual. This conversion was not required when working with camcorder video files but only with recorded tv programs.

Please help...

Thanks...

6 answers to this question

My TV Tuner is 'Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (model 78XXX combo ATSC/QAM)

When I'm in 'Video Wave' option, I clicked on the recorded TV program to pull down to the storyline to edit, the program converts the file to a mpg file first. Once I've done and saved the project, I tried to burn to a DVD, it will take forever (ie. 1% encoded every 4-5 hrs). This will take days before I can finish the encoding the file and burn to the DVD.

This does not happen if I edit and burn a file recorded from my camcorder. This works pretty fast.

Getting frustrated with this...Don't know what I did wrong or something wrong with the program

Thanks...

Did you record a Hidef program? It certainly will take a long time to convert 1920X1080 to standard 720x480 video. Something like this takes raw CPU power to crunch the numbers.

I tested a HDV camcorder last year and found that Videowave was faster at converting hidef HDV files to standard MPEG 2 than the other applications that I own and the quality was excellent. However even with a Dual Core 3Ghz machine, it still took longer than rendering standard DV AVI. Hidef files are much more difficult to convert.

No, It was just a regular TV program. My computer is supposed to be fast as well. It's a quad core and running on Vista. I've taped a tv program using the tv tuner and edited & trimmed it using Roxio media creator 10. I selected video wave and clicked on the recorded tv program and the software responded that it need to convert the file before being able to be used on video wave for editing. I clicked OK and it proceeded without a glitch. It changed the file to a mpg extension and I was able to edit/trim it using video wave. Once I've finished, I was able to preview it on the computer without any problems. The problem only started when I tried to burn this to a DVD and although the program ran, the processing time is way too long. (eg. 1% every 4-5 hrs!!).

This does not happen if I've tried to burn a DVD using video files from my camcorder or digital photos from my camera. This process was fast. For some reason, it's only the TV program that I recorded that made it so slow. I noticed when editing the video files (camcorder), it has the avi as extension but with the TV program file, it has mpg extension. Don't know if that's made the difference. I think there must be some setting or conflict somewhere that is causing this...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Go to GBPVR and download the program and use it to record. It's what I use and I never have problems with the files it produces. I have the HVR1600 on 1 machine and the PVR500 on another and use this for both with no problems. The setup takes a bit of getting use to but the forum there is great....sub will be glad to help you get started.

No, It was just a regular TV program. My computer is supposed to be fast as well. It's a quad core and running on Vista. I've taped a tv program using the tv tuner and edited & trimmed it using Roxio media creator 10. I selected video wave and clicked on the recorded tv program and the software responded that it need to convert the file before being able to be used on video wave for editing. I clicked OK and it proceeded without a glitch. It changed the file to a mpg extension and I was able to edit/trim it using video wave. Once I've finished, I was able to preview it on the computer without any problems. The problem only started when I tried to burn this to a DVD and although the program ran, the processing time is way too long. (eg. 1% every 4-5 hrs!!).

This does not happen if I've tried to burn a DVD using video files from my camcorder or digital photos from my camera. This process was fast. For some reason, it's only the TV program that I recorded that made it so slow. I noticed when editing the video files (camcorder), it has the avi as extension but with the TV program file, it has mpg extension. Don't know if that's made the difference. I think there must be some setting or conflict somewhere that is causing this...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Did you try burning your project w/ the software setting? In MyDVD, Tools > Options > "Render Using" choose Software, see if it speeds things up.

It takes my pc about 6-7 hours to encode & then burn a disc containing about 1 3/4 hours of programming (Batman tv show, no commercials).

Hi All,

I've bought the Easy Creator 10 recently and used it to burn some DVDs from my camcorder. This worked fine and I managed to create some neat DVDs from video taken with my camcorder and digital photos from my camera.

Question: I have a tv tuner on my PC and used it to tape some tv programs. I've used video wave option to edit and trim the recorded programs and when I tried to burn to disk, it works but it takes forever to process. I let it run the whole night and only 10% of the encoding is done. When I used the same process to burn DVD from my camcorder video files (mentioned above), this worked fine and only took about 10 mins to burn a DVD with about 1 hr of playing time. The edited TV program is about 1.5 hours long but it took all night (8 hrs) and only 10% is done so far. This will take days before the job is done.

Any help & suggestions why this takes so long? I've noticed that when I pulled the recorded tv programs to the storyline on video wave, the program said it needed to convert the file beforehand but it was done quickly and I can trim & edit it as usual. This conversion was not required when working with camcorder video files but only with recorded tv programs.

Please help...

Thanks...

What tv tuner do you have? Much depends on what type of file it's capturing in. Many capture in mpeg and if you set the bitrate right, you can turn it into a dvd quickly. My Hauppauge is configured to capture at the 'DVD' setting which I can then easily remove commercials and use MyDVD to make a dvd in just a few short minutes plus burning time. You might want to check your tuner card to see what settings are suggested.

Archived