• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burned Cds Cannot Be Read In Other Devices.

vandrvekn

I'm trying to burn CDs, the programs say they burn sucessfully, and they can be read by this computer. They cannot be read by other computers or by audio cd players. This problem only started a few weeks ago.

I assumed this was a hardware problem, and replaced the CR-RW. I have the same problem with the new drive. I'm using Windows XP SP2. I've burned disks using EZ-CD Creator 5.3.5, Nero, and Acoustica.

I'm trying to burn CDs, the programs say they burn sucessfully, and they can be read by this computer. They cannot be read by other computers or by audio cd players. This problem only started a few weeks ago.

I assumed this was a hardware problem, and replaced the CR-RW. I have the same problem with the new drive. I'm using Windows XP SP2. I've burned disks using EZ-CD Creator 5.3.5, Nero, and Acoustica.

If you can read them on your computer then the burner is ok. Tell us in detail HOW you are trying to burn.

Also read this (you must have missed it at the top of the main ECDC 5 forum)

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=122

If you can read them on your computer then the burner is ok. Tell us in detail HOW you are trying to burn.

Also read this (you must have missed it at the top of the main ECDC 5 forum)

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=122

Thank you for your quick response, I'm sorry I didn't give full information. I've attempted to burn data disks using Ez-CD Creator (Data CD Project) and Nero, I can read them on this computer, but not on two other systems. I have also attempted to burn audio CDs using Ez-CD Creator (Audio CD Project) and Acoustica, again they will play on this computer but not on any CD player. (I tried three different players.)

I have tried both CD-Rs and CD-RWs, I get the same responce and lack of responce on both.

As I said, I replaced the CD-RW drive, but the new one still has the problem, so I didn't think it was relevant. The new drive is a CyberDrv CD088D CD-R/RW, the older one is a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F. Aside from adding the new drive, I have not altered the computer recently.

Also, I just found out today that Audio disks that I've burned can be played in a DVD player, but not in any of my CD players.

Thank you for your quick response, I'm sorry I didn't give full information. I've attempted to burn data disks using Ez-CD Creator (Data CD Project) and Nero, I can read them on this computer, but not on two other systems. I have also attempted to burn audio CDs using Ez-CD Creator (Audio CD Project) and Acoustica, again they will play on this computer but not on any CD player. (I tried three different players.)

I have tried both CD-Rs and CD-RWs, I get the same responce and lack of responce on both.

As I said, I replaced the CD-RW drive, but the new one still has the problem, so I didn't think it was relevant. The new drive is a CyberDrv CD088D CD-R/RW, the older one is a Samsung CD-R/RW SW-248F. Aside from adding the new drive, I have not altered the computer recently.

Also, I just found out today that Audio disks that I've burned can be played in a DVD player, but not in any of my CD players.

Any chance you just started using a new batch of discs? And are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) media? CD-R media is more universally readable by other devices, and it's more stable for long-term storage. Even if it's the same brand of media you've been using, if it's a new package, it can be entirely different discs. So, go out and pick up a few different brands of discs (small quantities) and try them. Maybe that will be the solution for you.

Let us know how you make out.

Any chance you just started using a new batch of discs? And are you using CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (erasable) media? CD-R media is more universally readable by other devices, and it's more stable for long-term storage. Even if it's the same brand of media you've been using, if it's a new package, it can be entirely different discs. So, go out and pick up a few different brands of discs (small quantities) and try them. Maybe that will be the solution for you.

Let us know how you make out.

Nope, I tried three different kinds of CD-Rs and two brands of CD-RW. Same results on all.

I expect we are going to have to back up a bit to try to help. I'm going to stick to the audio cd's for the moment.

Did you update your machine to WinXP/sp2 - or actually do an install of ECDC AFTER applying the sp2 update to your machine? Roxio does not support version 5 under WinXP/sp2 - but those folks who have been successful at using it under sp2 usually say they installed the program onto a system after it was already updated to sp2.

What section of the program are you using to burn these audio cd's? Are you using "MusicCD Project"?

What is your source material? Tracks ripped off commerically purchased cd's? Downloads? MP3's?

Specifically what steps are you following? Are you burning in Disc-at-once or Track-at-once mode?

Now on to data cd's - are you using DataCD Project? Or formatting the cd under DirectCD and dragging/dropping files to the media?

I expect we are going to have to back up a bit to try to help. I'm going to stick to the audio cd's for the moment.

Did you update your machine to WinXP/sp2 - or actually do an install of ECDC AFTER applying the sp2 update to your machine? Roxio does not support version 5 under WinXP/sp2 - but those folks who have been successful at using it under sp2 usually say they installed the program onto a system after it was already updated to sp2.

What section of the program are you using to burn these audio cd's? Are you using "MusicCD Project"?

What is your source material? Tracks ripped off commerically purchased cd's? Downloads? MP3's?

Specifically what steps are you following? Are you burning in Disc-at-once or Track-at-once mode?

Now on to data cd's - are you using DataCD Project? Or formatting the cd under DirectCD and dragging/dropping files to the media?

I installed ECDC recently, SP2 was already on the machine. I used Music CD Project, my source files were MP3s from the Live Music Archive. When doing data CDs, I've used Data CD Project.

Just now, I got one of my formatted Direct CD disks and transferred a few files to it successfully, but I haven't tried them on another computer to see if it will read it yet.

Well, now this problem seems to be getting worse. I burned a data CD today to try out on another computer, but after it burned, I couldn't even read it on this computer. It is now showing as a blank, nonrecordable cd.

Have you tried using a lens-leaner disc? It could be accumulted dust or worse on the lens the laser has to see thru. (You can get them various placaes, altho after I paid $13 for one at Radio Shack, I saw one for $5 at a local mega-drugstore, so shop around.)

If that doesn't work, it is possible the burner may be getting ready for its journey to that great recycling bin in the sky.

Lynn

I installed ECDC recently, SP2 was already on the machine. I used Music CD Project, my source files were MP3s from the Live Music Archive. When doing data CDs, I've used Data CD Project.

Just now, I got one of my formatted Direct CD disks and transferred a few files to it successfully, but I haven't tried them on another computer to see if it will read it yet.

At this point, it's sounding like you may have a drive that is starting to fail. I know it's a new drive, but that doesn't mean it's "good". What usualy fails first is the ability to write discs well, and that didn't start out good with this drive, and it is getting worse, so I'm not encouraged.

At this point, it's sounding like you may have a drive that is starting to fail. I know it's a new drive, but that doesn't mean it's "good". What usualy fails first is the ability to write discs well, and that didn't start out good with this drive, and it is getting worse, so I'm not encouraged.

That was my first impression of the original drive, but what are the odds of a second drive having the exact same problem?

• 1 month later...
:) I have been having the same problem with not being able to play my music CD-R copies after using Easy CD 5 to make copies from original CDs. Interestingly, if I make a copy of the CD-R from the non-playing CD, I CAN play that second copy on my stereo! Don't know if this added information helps in locating or resolving the problem... As a near computer illiterate I'm afraid I will simply have to take the computer beast into the repair shop for a tune-up or over-haul. (sigh)

Archived