• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Burning Problems

Old Guy

Question

I bought EMC10 to go with my new Acer laptop and to run with Vista. There was a burning program on the computer, but I was more used to Roxio. The program on the computer does copy single and double layer DVDs and it works fine. My EMC10 will copy DVD's and create compilations and MYDVD video projects without any problems. The problems start when I try to copy my work to a DVD. I can use the Copy DVD function just fine if I only copy to a 4.7GB disc. It won't copy to a double layer disc. It also won't copy any compilations I make, even if it is to a 4.7GB disc. I tried a video compilation and also using MyDVD. I have been reading some of the discussions, but I am still pretty confused. The original burning program on the computer was accepting Maxell single and double layer discs. My EMC10 has rejected the Maxell double layer discs and Sony Double layer discs. I am currently using Verbatim 4.7GB discs, but EMC10 failed when trying to do a video compilation, but successfully does straight copying. I also put EMC10 on my wife's Dell laptop and had exactly the same problems. I am getting so frustrated that I tried downloading a trial version of "a major competitor" but the darn thing is not very intuitive and I had a hard time trying to get it to work. It also doesn't seem to have the compilation features of EMC10 that I like so much. I would appreciate any help to get EMC10 to work correctly, because I really like the program and want it to work.

5 answers to this question

The program that came with the computer is NTI DVD maker 7, but I don't believe that is relavant since I put the Roxio on my wife's computer, which did not have NTI, and I had the same problems. To clarify, Roxio seems to do fine while I am working in the computer. I can make video compilations from the Video Copy and Convert screen; I can make a video project in MyDVD; I can save just about anything (I am only working on videos at this point, no music or data discs) into a folder on the computer and bring it back up to work on it without any trouble. When I try to burn a video compilation from Video Convert and Copy onto a 4.7GB disc it burned about 17% and then locked up for over an hour. When I try to burn a double layer disc from VC&C it appears to start burning, jumps suddenly to 99% and then stops with an unknown error (I didn't get the number.) I did successfully burn a 4.7 disc in MyDVD of pictures and small videos done into a filmstrip format, but was not successful trying to burn a movie project onto a double layer disc. I think it acted the same as the VC&C attempt. I had a trial version of Nero for about 30 minutes and then deleted the whole thing. I just didn't like it. That was yesterday and I have been having the copy problems for a couple of weeks now. The NTI DVD maker is still on my machine. I go to the EMC10 home screen and select "Copy DVDs" to do my work. It does successfully copy 4.7GB and double layer DVDs done this way, and it burns to a 4.7GB disc; it just doesn't burn the video compilations to a disc or anything to a double layer disc.

I personally have never used the video copy and convert screen for video compilations or to burn dvd. I'm not sure if you could create the project in VC&C and transfer it over to MyDVD for burning. I've always used MyDVD for video editing, compilations, ect. and I've always burned it with MyDVD when doing any video projects. I also had problem with creating DVD DL discs. The best way I've found for doing it is to create an ISO file first by going to tool and use the the disc image loader tool to burn the DL disc. It's worked every time for me. If you use VLC media player you can load the file and check to make sure everything encoded correctly before you waste and expensive DL disc. Just make sure you select the right size when creating the ISO file and also when burning too. The only bad part about it is that those huge ISO file take up a lot of space. If you have enough HD space it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'm not sure if I helped you with your first problem but I'm pretty sure this will solve you DL disc problem.

I'm having weird enconding problems myself. I posted about it in this same forum. Check it out may be we can help each other. Later and good luck

I personally have never used the video copy and convert screen for video compilations or to burn dvd. I'm not sure if you could create the project in VC&C and transfer it over to MyDVD for burning. I've always used MyDVD for video editing, compilations, ect. and I've always burned it with MyDVD when doing any video projects. I also had problem with creating DVD DL discs. The best way I've found for doing it is to create an ISO file first by going to tool and use the the disc image loader tool to burn the DL disc. It's worked every time for me. If you use VLC media player you can load the file and check to make sure everything encoded correctly before you waste and expensive DL disc. Just make sure you select the right size when creating the ISO file and also when burning too. The only bad part about it is that those huge ISO file take up a lot of space. If you have enough HD space it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I'm not sure if I helped you with your first problem but I'm pretty sure this will solve you DL disc problem.

I'm having weird enconding problems myself. I posted about it in this same forum. Check it out may be we can help each other. Later and good luck

Nothing you wrote will really do anything for the OP…

The program on the computer does copy single and double layer DVDs and it works fine.

What is the program that came with the pc? Is it still installed along with Roxio EMC 10? After downloading a trial version of "a major competitor", would that be Nero? Is it still installed on the pc?

The problems start when I try to copy my work to a DVD.

In Roxio EMC 10 are you using the Home Screen, see below? You need to tell us the exact path to the program your using! Then tell us what type of files, not "The problems start when I try to copy my work to a DVD". Is it data video and in what program, path to it?

post-97-1218457495.png

cd

The program that came with the computer is NTI DVD maker 7, but I don't believe that is relavant since I put the Roxio on my wife's computer, which did not have NTI, and I had the same problems. To clarify, Roxio seems to do fine while I am working in the computer. I can make video compilations from the Video Copy and Convert screen; I can make a video project in MyDVD; I can save just about anything (I am only working on videos at this point, no music or data discs) into a folder on the computer and bring it back up to work on it without any trouble. When I try to burn a video compilation from Video Convert and Copy onto a 4.7GB disc it burned about 17% and then locked up for over an hour. When I try to burn a double layer disc from VC&C it appears to start burning, jumps suddenly to 99% and then stops with an unknown error (I didn't get the number.) I did successfully burn a 4.7 disc in MyDVD of pictures and small videos done into a filmstrip format, but was not successful trying to burn a movie project onto a double layer disc. I think it acted the same as the VC&C attempt. I had a trial version of Nero for about 30 minutes and then deleted the whole thing. I just didn't like it. That was yesterday and I have been having the copy problems for a couple of weeks now. The NTI DVD maker is still on my machine. I go to the EMC10 home screen and select "Copy DVDs" to do my work. It does successfully copy 4.7GB and double layer DVDs done this way, and it burns to a 4.7GB disc; it just doesn't burn the video compilations to a disc or anything to a double layer disc.

Archived