• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Widescreen 16:9 Vs Normal 4:3

konabrad

Question

When opening a new Videowave project, the selection is either Widescreen (16:9) or Normal (4:3). I generally create a new Videowave project in Widescreen as most of my video is shot in Widescreen HD and my TV is Widescreen. So when it comes time to burn a DVD, it is burned in the format I selected at the biginning of the project. I am about to start a new project where I want to have a Widescreen format DVD for myself and a Normal screen format for a friend that does not have a Widescreen TV. Is it possible to have the same Videowave project burn to one DVD in one format and burn to another DVD in the other format?

I don't know if this topic was covered before as I could not find it with the Search feature.

6 answers to this question

Is it possible to have the same Videowave project burn to one DVD in one format and burn to another DVD in the other format?
Are we to assume that the person with 4:3 doesn't like watching 16:9 letterboxed? :) Their DVD player should automatically letterbox (black stripe on top and bottom) the video.

You would have to create a new Videowave project that chops off the edges which may not be a good solution depending on the main action, but you could add some pan/scan to follow the action. Then output an entirely different file that you add to new MyDVD project.

Thanks for your input Gary and Jim!

I tried a little experiment where I created two new projects; one with Widescreen selected at startup and one with Normal. In Videowave I used a short video clip (captured in widescreen), saved the project then outputed (is this a word?) to MyDVD, then burned a disc. The result was that the Widescreen project did produce a widescreen playback on my widescreen TV, whereas the Normal screen project produced a Letterbox look on my widescreen TV. I'm not sure this is the result I was looking for. Doesn't look like I can take the same Videowave project, send it to MYDVD and then select a Widescreen format or Normal screen format at this stage. Life is short; I'm moving on.

Thanks again for your help!

Doesn't look like I can take the same Videowave project, send it to MYDVD and then select a Widescreen format or Normal screen format at this stage.
You are correct. The settings in MyDVD for 4:3 and 16:9 only apply to the menu and not any video.

I'm confused about the original question. Is there any reason why you would want to convert the 16:9 to 4:3 anyway? You can play the same DVD on any TV. If the TV is 16:9, it would display fulls screen. If the TV is 4:3, then the DVD player should letterbox it automatically. So what exactly is the issue?

The only reason for wanting to convert a 16:9 project to 4:3 is for "easier viewing" on a non-widescreen TV. The letterbox appearance on a smaller 4:3 set doesn't leave a lot of room for viewing the video. Maybe I'm making too much of this, but I remember my pre-widescreen TV days when I'd rent a letterbox video and didn't like the looks on my 4:3 set. Maybe I should encourage my friends to upgrade their TV's to best enjoy my videos. Ha!

One thing to remember, the ONLY way to convert 16:9 to 4:3 is to chop something off! :) You can easily place 16:9 into Videowave 4:3 project. Use Pan/Zoom to chop the sides off. Then burn a new DVD.

The letterbox appearance on a smaller 4:3 set doesn't leave a lot of room for viewing the video.
Interesting point of view because the viewer is seeing exactly what the camcorder recorded. Edited by ggrussell