• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

X264 Content Pass Though

elmarikon

Question

Dear guys!

No matter how long I am searching, I can not find any detailld information about what kind of vc-1/h264 contetnt DVDit Pro HD accepts to pass it through a BluRay project.

Info like framerates, gop sizes, bitrates, resolutions, profiles, levels and so on would be very helpful...

So far I was trying to encode some files with x264 and ffmpeg. When writing them as .mp4 files, they are being imported, but transcoded. That of cause is because of the mpeg4 container, dut my .264 files won't be accepted, either...

Can anyone help me with informations?

};-]

19 answers to this question

I also am unable to get streams to open as pass through and these are encodes from the Inlet Fathom encoder and the same streams work in Scenarist or DoStudio as perfectly legal AVC streams.

What do I have to do to get a pass through to work on this program?

Tony

Hey,

just try mainconcept-AVC-encoder! it is about 1500EUR and it´s working fine with the hotfix shown above (within v1.5)

A few days ago they released the v1.6 for PC ( MAC-version will come soon) that has the bugfix in it, I´ve been tould.

danny

Hey,

just try mainconcept-AVC-encoder! it is about 1500EUR and it´s working fine with the hotfix shown above (within v1.5)

A few days ago they released the v1.6 for PC ( MAC-version will come soon) that has the bugfix in it, I´ve been tould.

danny

Would it be possible for you to put an AVC file that works of a few seconds on the internet somewhere I could download and analyze the file? I would be forever grateful! :)

I am using a proprietary Sonic stream verifier that in essence has the whole BD spec baked into it. it is the basis for what is checked when a file is imported into DVDit Pro HD.

I was able to get MPEG 2 files to import by making them transport streams. Is the same true for AVC files? If so, why do they have to be multiplexed?

inlet fathom streams from the DoStudio website were not Blu-ray legal the last time I ran them through our verifier. DoStudio does not do the checking that DVDit Pro HD does and though it passes through those streams, they could present problems with some players and they would be kicked out as illegal when any replicator ran their verification tests.

Hi,

you can create BD-compliant VC-1 streams with the new Mainconcept REFERENCE 1.5.

You can DL the trial of Reference (non time-limit with watermark) to test it.

Just keep in mind, this streams have to be elementary streams.

You can create BD-compliant AVC-Streams with reference as well, but there are a few major-bugs in it (as a swiss collegue and I found out), so you can´t really use it at the moment . We reported this to mainconcept last friday and they are about to work on a hotfix.

danny

not sure where your problem lies, but MPEG assets as elementary streams or program streams should work just fine. in fact the program doesn't support tranport streams, so you must be changing the extension or something to get those assets into DVDit. As to AVC files, pass-through support is only with elementary streams (.264, .h264, .avc). same for VC-1 files (.vc1 only).

Hi

These are my own encodes from our Fathom encoder. So are you saying that the Fathom encoder does not make compliant streams for your software?

Cheers

Tony :blink:

inlet fathom streams from the DoStudio website were not Blu-ray legal the last time I ran them through our verifier. DoStudio does not do the checking that DVDit Pro HD does and though it passes through those streams, they could present problems with some players and they would be kicked out as illegal when any replicator ran their verification tests.

not sure where your problem lies, but MPEG assets as elementary streams or program streams should work just fine. in fact the program doesn't support tranport streams, so you must be changing the extension or something to get those assets into DVDit. As to AVC files, pass-through support is only with elementary streams (.264, .h264, .avc). same for VC-1 files (.vc1 only).

Pretty bizzare. I'm using a high end encoder from Pixeltools and have tried every MPEG 2 elementary stream setting with all being rejected by DVDit Pro HD. However, when I mux the stream it goes right in no problem. So "should work just fine" made me laugh ;^) Something is causing the non-muxed version to choke and I'll be darned if I know what it is.

Unfortunately, this is moot because I'm not getting good enough quality with MPEG 2 and need AVC. Pixeltools say that their AVC encoder isn't Blu-ray ready yet. I have an AVC encoder but with nine zillion possible setting combinations I have no idea where to start and given the hair pulling over MPEG 2 I just experienced, I'm not optimistic.

Are there any software AVC encoders that work with DVDit Pro HD that are $1,000-$2,000 (or less) that can encode up to the Blu-ray spec of 40 megabits per second at 1920 x 1080 and offer tweaking? I have some extremely difficult complex content to encode and while I've been able to achieve the results needed - the encoding solutions I have used are not rock solid.

I have not tested Fathom AVC output, but from what I have seen, the VC-1 streams on the DoStudio site which are "guaranteed legal" are not Blu-ray legal.

Which verifier are you using and what specifically failed on the VC-1 Streams?

Thanks,

Frank

I'm confused.

A previous message said:

As to AVC files, pass-through support is only with elementary streams (.264, .h264, .avc). same for VC-1 files (.vc1 only).

How does one get an elementary stream in?

I don't see any means of importing a .264 or .avc stream.

It will only import as an .mp4.

If I mux my stream to an mp4, will it try to transcode?

Paul

Hey Paul,

you have to create the AVC elementary streams with a valid encoder like Mainconcept Reference, Sonic Cinevision or a similar one from another company.

as far as you created h264-elementary-files, and they are valid BD-streams they wil be imported into DVDitHD 6.4. With VC-1-streams it´s the same! I tried them all, and they are working fine without transmuxing!

So there is no reason to create/import an mp4-file, because it´s NOT BD-spec-compliant, and in that reason it will be transmuxed to MPEG2HD.

danny

hi everyone,

I uploaded a small 1080i50-colorbar 3sec. to my file-server, so you could test the h264-import.

here is the DL-link: http://files.moviedesign.de//colorbar_hd_50i.zip

NOTE: if your looking into the file-preference you´ll see that it will be shown as lower first! this is a small bug within DVDitHD! leave it like it is and it will be muxed without transcoding.

cheers

danny

HOTFIX for mainconcept REFERENCE AVC-Plugin:

If you want to use other Bitrates than the BD-Preset you have to change the Rate Control VBV buffer size within the advanced settings>miscellaneous to 3749952.

You have to do this every time, when you change the bitrate, so you better change the bitrate BEFORE you change the VBV-buffer-size.

this has been verifiy with sonic verifier and stream eye.

even the fields are correct. only upper first will be shown as lower field within DVDitHD.6.4 within the properties. if you leave the settings as they are it will propperly be muxed into the BD without transcoding.

danny

I'm confused.

A previous message said:

As to AVC files, pass-through support is only with elementary streams (.264, .h264, .avc). same for VC-1 files (.vc1 only).

How does one get an elementary stream in?

I don't see any means of importing a .264 or .avc stream.

It will only import as an .mp4.

If I mux my stream to an mp4, will it try to transcode?

Paul

Archived