Need Help: How To Burn Large/long Video To Sl Dvd(s) W/o Loosing Quality

Alex K

Question

Hello, I have a question. I am trying to burn a 3.5hr video to DVD playable in a reg DVD player and trying not to lose any quality if possible. I only have a single-layer DVD burner, and if possible would not mind having the video split b/w two or more dvds.

I can add the video to Toast. When I go to DVD-Video (under DVD), it shows that its too long for my single layer DVD. If I start burning, will it split between multiple DVDs? Or is there another option.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

Its an mkv file.
Splitting MKVs is a quest in itself, although perhaps MKVToolnix can do it.

Instead, try installing Perian and using the In and Out selectors in the Edit window of Toast to encode the first half to DVD and then the second half to DVD. It may take a while to process the file at first, so be patient if your cursor changes to a wrist watch or spinning beach ball.

When setting the selection with the in and out points, use the arrow keys to step frame by frame to a scene change, so that the split is at an acceptable point.

Not all MKVs are created equal, so YMMV and all that.

Splitting MKVs is a quest in itself, although perhaps MKVToolnix can do it.

Instead, try installing Perian and using the In and Out selectors in the Edit window of Toast to encode the first half to DVD and then the second half to DVD. It may take a while to process the file at first, so be patient if your cursor changes to a wrist watch or spinning beach ball.

When setting the selection with the in and out points, use the arrow keys to step frame by frame to a scene change, so that the split is at an acceptable point.

Not all MKVs are created equal, so YMMV and all that.

Thanks OldAchiever. That's pretty much what I ended up doing. Didn't know the trick about the arrow keys, that would have been helpful. You're right, all MKV files are not created equal, and this is one mother of an MKV file. It's been reencoding for about 24hrs now, and is only half done (i'm looking at a 5GB file), but oh well, I've got time :)

Thanks for your help.

Archived