• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

44 Hours And Counting...

travellerva

Question

I'm new to disc burning so may be asking a question which is obvious to everyone else.

I downloaded a HD TiVo file to an external disc via the TiVo Transfer function. Took 3 hours and used a bunch of space (23GB). Am now trying to load this file into the Toast workspace in order to burn DVD-Video discs of it. Toast has been spinning the beach ball now for 44 hours and is still going... I see from the Activity Monitor that Toast is still using 99%+ of the CPU but nothing else is visible and Mac OS X thinks it has hung. I'm on a MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.

Questions:

Has Toast really hung and am I wasting my time waiting for the file to load?

Is the extended time required a function of the file size, the file type (TiVo HD) or the fact that it's on a FireWire drive - or something else?

The file is on an external drive because there is not sufficient space on the Macintosh HD drive for it. Does there have to be enough space on that?

If Toast ever comes out of its beach-ball-spinning-file-load condition, will I be able to burn DVDs to span this big file (NOT BluRays)? Will that take another 40+ hours?

I wonder why Toast is unable to inform the user either what it is doing, when (and whether) it is likely to finish and what I should NOT be trying...

Any answers will make me feel better about this whole process - thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

OK - here's the latest. I left the Toast9 load of my 29GB TiVo file to continue to run since my computer was not doing anything else. The Mac Activity Monitor shows Toast9 using 99%+ of the CPU. As of this writing, the process has been running for 170 hours - yep, that's more than 7 full days.

I now calculate that the load will be finished in 40 days (for a 3-hour HD TiVo recording!!). My estimate is based on the following:

In the 170 hours so far, Toast has read 5.19GB of data and written 9.07GB (somewhere... - I know not where). It has done this by executing 302,000 reads and 529,000 writes. Thus, each read/write is about 17KB in size and occurs about once per second. Total data read per hour is about 30.3MB and about 53.3MB is written every hour.

It seems that the total file of 29GB will therefore be loaded in around 950 hours... and that's before I even try to convert it or burn it.

I'm hoping a Roxio member reads this and can comment. Needless to say, I'm somewhat frustrated since I purchased Toast9 just to burn TiVo files.

I haven't used Tivo files with Toast 9, but my guess is that it's hung up. I've taken EyeTV recordings that were 16 GB and loaded them into a Toast workspace and it's taken seconds for them to show up. The encoding time was long, but loading it into the workspace took no time at all.

As far as the temp drive for Toast, I'd recommend using the biggest drive you have (even if its the external) but that doesn't explain the problem of the file not showing up.

My other advice is that you use MPEG Streamclip to convert your Tivo recordings (which I assume are similar to my EyeTV recordings) into either flat MPEG files (.mpg) or transport stream files (.ts). The reason being that MPEG Streamclip will fix timecode breaks and other errors that can screw up encoding done by Toast.

Thanks for the tips. I abandoned the Toast file load after 59 hours. The external drive appears to be ok since I can load smaller files from it without any trouble.

Thanks also for the tip about MPEG Streamclip. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize the TiVo file format. I can load a TiVo file (as an "All Files" choice) into MPEG Streamclip and it appears to go through the process of converting or exporting the file. However, the resulting file is not recognized as a video file by anything else. I tried .ts and .mpg but the resulting file isn't recognized. Very frustrating.

Try this - right-click (or control-click) on your EyeTV file. If it says "Show Package Contents" select that and you then should be able to see the inside of your file - which may contain an .mpg or .mts or something else that MPEG Streamclip will open. I have to do this to get to .mpg file in EyeTV recordings.

I haven't used Tivo files with Toast 9, but my guess is that it's hung up. I've taken EyeTV recordings that were 16 GB and loaded them into a Toast workspace and it's taken seconds for them to show up. The encoding time was long, but loading it into the workspace took no time at all.

As far as the temp drive for Toast, I'd recommend using the biggest drive you have (even if its the external) but that doesn't explain the problem of the file not showing up.

My other advice is that you use MPEG Streamclip to convert your Tivo recordings (which I assume are similar to my EyeTV recordings) into either flat MPEG files (.mpg) or transport stream files (.ts). The reason being that MPEG Streamclip will fix timecode breaks and other errors that can screw up encoding done by Toast.

Thanks for the tips. I abandoned the Toast file load after 59 hours. The external drive appears to be ok since I can load smaller files from it without any trouble.

Thanks also for the tip about MPEG Streamclip. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize the TiVo file format. I can load a TiVo file (as an "All Files" choice) into MPEG Streamclip and it appears to go through the process of converting or exporting the file. However, the resulting file is not recognized as a video file by anything else. I tried .ts and .mpg but the resulting file isn't recognized. Very frustrating.

Try this - right-click (or control-click) on your EyeTV file. If it says "Show Package Contents" select that and you then should be able to see the inside of your file - which may contain an .mpg or .mts or something else that MPEG Streamclip will open. I have to do this to get to .mpg file in EyeTV recordings.

Thanks - but my file is a .tivo file - not an Eyetv file. Also, ctrl-click on it doesn't give me an option of "Show package contents".

Another source of an answer suggested I may not have enough space on the system drive [there is certainly less free space than the size of the file]. I reset the Toast9 preferences to use the ample space I have on an extended drive for both working space and as a destination for the converted file. After 4 hours, my 29GB .tivo file has still not loaded into the Toast9 workspace - all I get is the spinning beach ball and Activity Monitor telling me that Toast9 is not responding but is nevertheless using >99% of the CPU.

Archived