bobe8014

Music Drops Out & Mouse/computer Hesitates

I installed Easy CD Creator 5.3.4 SP8 then upgraded to the 5.3.5.10 (from Roxio Website)& then 5.3.5.17 (From Dell website http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...1&fileid=113880. My computer mouse hesitates in rhythm to when my music drops out when played from CD or hard drive. This is also causing some kind of load on my computer & affects my DSL internet downloading speed. This started after I installed the program & began copying an audio CD. I have since uninstalled the program but am still affected by these problems.

I installed Easy CD Creator 5.3.4 SP8 then upgraded to the 5.3.5.10 (from Roxio Website)& then 5.3.5.17 (From Dell website http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...1&fileid=113880. My computer mouse hesitates in rhythm to when my music drops out when played from CD or hard drive. This is also causing some kind of load on my computer & affects my DSL internet downloading speed. This started after I installed the program & began copying an audio CD. I have since uninstalled the program but am still affected by these problems.

Easy CD Creator 5.3.4 SP8 is a Dell OEM version of Roxio ECDC 5.

The following is a explanation of OEM:

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell preinstalled on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum eddition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the preinstalled software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners.

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

So, what we have here is you installed Dells version, then you went to the Roxio site and updated Roxio's Platinum version (on top of the Dells), then you updated again from Dells site.

It is hard to tell what has happened on your system with all these different updates applied.

Because you have a Dell OEM version ALL support comes from them, not Roxio.

Get back to them, as you have un-installed and you still have problems.

Hello,

If you have a Dell machine and have run that special Dell updater, you should talk to Dell about any problems you are now having.

I went to the Dell site, but couldn't find any information about what their special update does so I'm afraid I can't even guess at what the problem might be.

Hello,

If you have a Dell machine and have run that special Dell updater, you should talk to Dell about any problems you are now having.

I went to the Dell site, but couldn't find any information about what their special update does so I'm afraid I can't even guess at what the problem might be.

One other thought, from browsing thru TROUBLESHOOTING COMPUTERS for DUMMIES by Dan Gookin -

Be sure your Anti-Virus program is up-to-date, and run a scan with it.

Also, get an anti-spyware program such as Spybot Search & Destroy, or AdAware, update the program, and run a scan.

Lynn

One other thought, from browsing thru TROUBLESHOOTING COMPUTERS for DUMMIES by Dan Gookin -

Be sure your Anti-Virus program is up-to-date, and run a scan with it.

Also, get an anti-spyware program such as Spybot Search & Destroy, or AdAware, update the program, and run a scan.

Lynn

What has this to do with lasting effects from running Dell updaters over Roxio ones, Lynn?

What has this to do with lasting effects from running Dell updaters over Roxio ones, Lynn?

Dan Gookin said if when you try to click your mouse on an icon an the icon seems to jiggle just out of range, it is a virus. So I thought maybe the hesitating mouse might be in the same category.

Lynn

Dan Gookin said if when you try to click your mouse on an icon an the icon seems to jiggle just out of range, it is a virus. So I thought maybe the hesitating mouse might be in the same category.

Lynn

The hesitation is really just an indication that the processor is busy doing something else, whether it be servicing a "valid" program or a virus.

To the original poster, what version of Windows are you running? If it's W2K or XP, open the task manager, and click on the "Processes" tab. Now click at the top of the "CPU" column, which will sort the list by the task that is using the most CPU time, and see what pops to the top every so often. Normally the "System Idle Process" is there, but it sounds like you should see an intermittent program coming to the top coinciding with your mouse hesitation. That could be your culprit.

Let us know if that helps.

The hesitation is really just an indication that the processor is busy doing something else, whether it be servicing a "valid" program or a virus.

To the original poster, what version of Windows are you running? If it's W2K or XP, open the task manager, and click on the "Processes" tab. Now click at the top of the "CPU" column, which will sort the list by the task that is using the most CPU time, and see what pops to the top every so often. Normally the "System Idle Process" is there, but it sounds like you should see an intermittent program coming to the top coinciding with your mouse hesitation. That could be your culprit.

Let us know if that helps.

I am running W2K. Previously System with PID of 8 seemed to be be a likely culprit. Of course as I am writing this it is not doing it now. Over the last week this problem seems to be slowly getting better. I had made a mirror with Acronis True Image and hope to restore to that.

FYI, I found this link & looks pretty interesting.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.wind...e4862bbd3dc6a5c

I am through with Roxio. A previous version of Roxio (Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02d_8) cause two other Dell notebooks CDROMs to dissappear from explorer. Lets not even go there . . . I did finally fix that, Roxio has just been a disaster for me.

I am running W2K. Previously System with PID of 8 seemed to be be a likely culprit. Of course as I am writing this it is not doing it now. Over the last week this problem seems to be slowly getting better. I had made a mirror with Acronis True Image and hope to restore to that.

FYI, I found this link & looks pretty interesting.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.wind...e4862bbd3dc6a5c

I am through with Roxio. A previous version of Roxio (Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02d_8) cause two other Dell notebooks CDROMs to dissappear from explorer. Lets not even go there . . . I did finally fix that, Roxio has just been a disaster for me.

ALL of the Version numbers you have given are Dell-modified OEM Versions. That is, Dell has bought the rights to the Basic Version and modified it.

As such, Dell are the ones responsible for support (altho probably they aren't supporting it this long after the fact).

Lynn

My $.02 . .

As Dave has told you - there are lots of reasons why your computer could be dragging down, including something running in the background stealing cpu cycles, memory being hogged by a running routine, a virus program scanning files you are accessing, hard disc space filling up causing excessive paging, etc.

Regarding the Roxio program - I cannot imagine why you need any downloads from the Dell website for your computer. I have never found the need for anything from the Dell website to run my Roxio software on any Dell computers. If it was my computer, I would uninstall what you have now and reinstall fresh, updating to version 5.3.5V by downloading and applying the updates off the Roxio website.

Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum 5

Installation Steps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be on at least version 5.1 to run under WinXP. Version 5.1 and later run just fine under WinXP/sp1.

In order to run under WinXP/sp2, you may have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall AFTER applying the sp2 update. Please be advised that Roxio has said they do not support Version 5 running under WinXP/sp2. But many folks have gotten it to work successfully.

Do a complete and clean uninstall of any previous versions of Easy CD Creator.

You can do this via "Control Panel" - "Add/Remove Software".

You can also download and run “roxizap” to cleanout any remnants left behind (although this may not be necessary).

Get it here: http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Be sure no other packet writing software (such as InCD from Nero) is installed.

Download the updates for Platinum 5 from the Roxio site.

Currently, you want 4, including: 5.3.5, photo, video, & 5.3.5driveup.

Note: if you are installing the “Basic” version, you only need the “Basic” 5.3.5 update and the same driveup535 described above. You cannot apply Platinum updates to a "Basic" program installation.

Install ECDC 5 from the cd.

If you get a warning message from WinXP/sp2 that the software may cause instability problems on your system you can tell it to install anyway - but you are proceeding at your own risk, since Roxio has not ensured the software will run under all WinXP/sp2 situations.

If the install says there are no supported recorders – tell it to install anyway.

(the updates will add support for some newer drives)

DO NOT REBOOT - Once again - DO NOT REBOOT!

Run all the updates – be sure to run 5.3.5 before the 5.3.5 driveup.

Then Reboot.

My $.02 . .

As Dave has told you - there are lots of reasons why your computer could be dragging down, including something running in the background stealing cpu cycles, memory being hogged by a running routine, a virus program scanning files you are accessing, hard disc space filling up causing excessive paging, etc.

Regarding the Roxio program - I cannot imagine why you need any downloads from the Dell website for your computer. I have never found the need for anything from the Dell website to run my Roxio software on any Dell computers. If it was my computer, I would uninstall what you have now and reinstall fresh, updating to version 5.3.5V by downloading and applying the updates off the Roxio website.

Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum 5

Installation Steps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You must be on at least version 5.1 to run under WinXP. Version 5.1 and later run just fine under WinXP/sp1.

In order to run under WinXP/sp2, you may have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall AFTER applying the sp2 update. Please be advised that Roxio has said they do not support Version 5 running under WinXP/sp2. But many folks have gotten it to work successfully.

Do a complete and clean uninstall of any previous versions of Easy CD Creator.

You can do this via "Control Panel" - "Add/Remove Software".

You can also download and run “roxizap” to cleanout any remnants left behind (although this may not be necessary).

Get it here: http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Be sure no other packet writing software (such as InCD from Nero) is installed.

Download the updates for Platinum 5 from the Roxio site.

Currently, you want 4, including: 5.3.5, photo, video, & 5.3.5driveup.

Note: if you are installing the “Basic” version, you only need the “Basic” 5.3.5 update and the same driveup535 described above. You cannot apply Platinum updates to a "Basic" program installation.

Install ECDC 5 from the cd.

If you get a warning message from WinXP/sp2 that the software may cause instability problems on your system you can tell it to install anyway - but you are proceeding at your own risk, since Roxio has not ensured the software will run under all WinXP/sp2 situations.

If the install says there are no supported recorders – tell it to install anyway.

(the updates will add support for some newer drives)

DO NOT REBOOT - Once again - DO NOT REBOOT!

Run all the updates – be sure to run 5.3.5 before the 5.3.5 driveup.

Then Reboot.

I had just reinstalled my basic programs on a brand new 100GB HDD running W2K. I encountered these problems immediately upon running the Roxio software. I then tried the updates to fix Roxio, & also tried updating sound drivers to no effect. I have 3 Dell notebooks & plain & simple each have been crippled solely by Roxio with software from Dell OEM disks.

I had just reinstalled my basic programs on a brand new 100GB HDD running W2K. I encountered these problems immediately upon running the Roxio software. I then tried the updates to fix Roxio, & also tried updating sound drivers to no effect. I have 3 Dell notebooks & plain & simple each have been crippled solely by Roxio with software from Dell OEM disks.

Er ... was this OEM originally on Win2000? Because NT systems like Win2000 and WinXP use different files than do Win9.x systems like Win98 or Win ME - they use .sys files rather than the older .vxd ... which means, if you are using an OEM Version from an older system, it is very likely Dell's customizing deleted the .sys installation part since it wouldn't be needed.

In any event, it is Dell that is responsible for support, since they are the ones who bought the rights and customized it.

If you had a standard ECDC 5 Basic, or ECDC 5 Platinum, the ability to be installed on Win2000 would be there, as well as WinXP up thru SP1 (it may work in with SP2, but it's iffy and unsupported at that point).

Lynn

I'm not arguing with you. Just sharing that my Dell laptops run just fine with Roxio's ECDC 5 system installed using the updates off the Roxio website as described above. This is a WinXP/sp1 Dell D600 laptop.

I'm not arguing with you. Just sharing that my Dell laptops run just fine with Roxio's ECDC 5 system installed using the updates off the Roxio website as described above. This is a WinXP/sp1 Dell D600 laptop.

Just curious, Rich - do you have a Dell OEM, or a Basic Version that came with a burner, or Platinum?

Lynn

Just curious, Rich - do you have a Dell OEM, or a Basic Version that came with a burner, or Platinum?

Lynn

I run Platinum. But I've run "basic" also. I've never had to use any Roxio downloads off a Dell website for anything. I've never come across a good reason even for their existence.

I run Platinum. But I've run "basic" also. I've never had to use any Roxio downloads off a Dell website for anything. I've never come across a good reason even for their existence.

The Dell OEM updates (and it only applies to the ECDC 5 that came with a DELL) will, among other things, update ECDC 5 to run with WinXP SP2 without probems. DELL shipped WinXP computers with ECDC 5 installed, actually with a bit of Version 6 included, and some posters have been extremely irate that a just-purchased, new comptuer wouldn't work.

That's why the DELL patch is important.

It isn't relevant to Platinum or to regular Basic or other OEM Basic Versions.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109