• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Playback Issues

symptom2001

Question

i was burning movie files on memorex dvd+r disks with nero and they played fine on my tv dvd player... i switched to roxio,using the same disks,and they burn and play fine on my computer, but when i play them on my set top dvd player, it plays,but every 1 min.-to 2 min. the video glitches,(flashes green) andaudio goes out,but these things only last about a second at the most.i called roxio and they said it must be the dvd player,and i would agree if it wasnt for the fact that the same type of files burned with nero were fine,when they would burn...i was told to try a lower burn speed, but that didnt work...do i just need to get a dvd player thats not cheap? please tell me thats all it is because i put in LOTS of hours burning discs that i have problems watching, and i dont want to have to sit at my pc every time i waych a flick

4 answers to this question

Actually it's the other way round - a cheap player will play just about anything. It's the higher end ones that are a bit funny about what works.

Seriously, try rendering using software render - you didn't post your computer specs so it's hard to make a guess if your video is up to the job or not

Additionally, Memorex are not particularly good discs - try Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, and you could also try using -R instead of +R - sometimes that helps

You said you were using DVD+R discs, and they worked on your set-top DVD player when burned with Nero but not when burned with Roxio.

It's likely [depending on your burner model] that the discs which are playing properly have had their book type set from DVD+R to DVD-ROM by the Nero software. This makes the discs more compatible with older set-top players. Nero does it but I don't believe Roxio software can do book type bitsetting, hence the difficulty with your Roxio-burned discs which are probably still set at DVD+R.

You can check your discs by running them through either DVDInfo Pro if you have it, or DiscSpeed [a free download from http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ ] and seeing what 'book type' is reported for the different discs.

Regards,

Brendon

You said you were using DVD+R discs, and they worked on your set-top DVD player when burned with Nero but not when burned with Roxio.

It's likely [depending on your burner model] that the discs which are playing properly have had their book type set from DVD+R to DVD-ROM by the Nero software. This makes the discs more compatible with older set-top players. Nero does it but I don't believe Roxio software can do book type bitsetting, hence the difficulty with your Roxio-burned discs which are probably still set at DVD+R.

You can check your discs by running them through either DVDInfo Pro if you have it, or DiscSpeed [a free download from http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ ] and seeing what 'book type' is reported for the different discs.

Regards,

Brendon

i checked the book type of the nero burned discs with DVDinfo pro,and then i checked the roxio discs and they have the same book type.(DVD+R) however someone told be to try a different bit setting(lower)and i burned a short test disc set @ 4.00 bits,and it seemed to work,though the vid was so short i wont know till i try it w/a larger file. i dont know squat about bit setting,so how low can i take it and still fit to disc and preserve pic quality?

Hi,

The "bitsetting" I was speaking about is setting the book type bits on the DVD. Not to be confused with "bitrate", which is the number of bits per second that is being transferred to/from something when data are moved from one place to another. Nor should it be confused with burn speed, the rate that the DVD gets burned at.

If the Nero discs didn't have an altered book type, then I don't know why the Nero discs should play okay while the Roxio ones don't, unless you are burning the Roxio ones too fast.

Burn Speed for DVDs is measured in multiples of the playing speed. If you burn a 1-hour DVD in one hour, then average speed was 1x. If it burns in a quarter hour then average speed was 4x. The latest burners can burn at up to 20x with the right system and media, but you need very good media [discs] to get a good burn at that speed.

Most drives are adjusted to give their best results around the middle of their speed range, since they have to be able to write throughout the range. If you're burning good discs at say 8x speed, you might find the same discs burned at 16x speed don't quite make the grade. Set the burn speed for Roxio to the same speed you used with Nero, and see if that works better.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived