• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Scene Detection?

pgrlga

Question

I am a total newbie to Roxio. It took me forever to make my first slideshow, and now I am moving on to video.

When I capture my video it downloads without recognizing any scenes. In trying to figure this out, I see that this is a known problem, but I can't seem to separate them myself in any kind of efficient manner. I can use videowave and trim the video into scenes, which takes forever, but it seems to be the only way.

I see that I should be able to use "scene detection" under the tools menu. But when I access the menu, the scene detection option is grayed out, with the video highlighted, and with the video in the storyline application.

Any ideas, or do I just suffer through? I haven't found anything to be easy yet...LOL I am feeling like I am missing something BIG in how to use this software.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

5 answers to this question

What are you capturing your video from? If it's a digital camcorder through an IEEE 1394 connection the program normally breaks the video into scenes which you can see by clicking on the 'down' arrow.

To use Scene Detect, switch to the 'collections' view, then right click on your video.

I am capturing from a mini disc used in my video camera. I have captured two full discs and the program hasn't broken either one down into scenes. At the risk of sounding dense...do you mean to "highlight" the video, then use the down arrow next to the description at the top, ie "recently captured media" being the collection? I still can't see any scenes.

I am breaking it down with the scene detect feature now...wow, it works just like you said! Looks like I may need to try it manually, I am getting too many scenes now! What do you know?!

Any ideas how to change anything so it will just separate when it captures?

Thanks for your help!!

Guest mlpasley

Unfortunately, I don't think it will break it into scenes when you capture from a mini disc. You'd only have the arrow if it was broken into scenes automatically.

You might have to play with the sensitivity setting to get less scenes. The program breaks it into scenes based on the changes in light.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will break it into scenes when you capture from a mini disc. You'd only have the arrow if it was broken into scenes automatically.

You might have to play with the sensitivity setting to get less scenes. The program breaks it into scenes based on the changes in light.

Drat! Thanks so much for your help though....I'm sure I'll be back!!!

Thanks again!! :)

Okay, so I am getting better at automatic scene detection by adjusting the sensitivity....Thanks! But When I complete my detection, hit okay, or whatever, it takes me back to the collections menu in videowave and the last few scenes are replaced by a blue question mark. When I try to preview the scenes, the whole mini disc content is there, no scenes at alll in that one scene, if that makes sense?

Ideas?

Thanks in advance! I do try to solve this stuff myself, but I have found very little useful information, maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Thanks!

Guest mlpasley

What are you capturing your video from? If it's a digital camcorder through an IEEE 1394 connection the program normally breaks the video into scenes which you can see by clicking on the 'down' arrow.

To use Scene Detect, switch to the 'collections' view, then right click on your video.

Archived