• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ronlaw3

Procedure For Best Dvd Quality

Question

Could someone please let me know what is the procedure to create a good quality DVD in EMC 8. I have tried many different ways and still continue to get a DVD with a shaky picture. If someone could outline the best steps starting with the DVD import from Disc. I really would appreciate the help. I am able to create a good quality DVD using another DVD authoring program but it is just a trial version. So I know it is not my computer that is causing the shaky DVD. Thank you.

14 answers to this question

I read in one of the posts that I think it was either Ggrussel or Grandpabruce had made 20 good quality home videos. I am putting out a personal request for whoever that was to please let me know how you did it. Did you use MY DVD or Videowave or both, what did you save as, how did you burn. I think I have tried almost every way possible, but still have not got it right. I must be missing something. Have burned up about 20+ DVD's. Please, if you could be so kind to let me know how you did it. :)

It was me. It all starts with a good quality file. If you are capturing from analog, I may not be of much use since all my home movies are recorded with a digital 8mm camcorder. I capture only to DV AVI. Edit in Videowave. Create my DVD menus and chapters in MyDVD 8 and then burn from MyDVD 8. I only put one hour or less of video on each disc for best quality.

It was me. It all starts with a good quality file. If you are capturing from analog, I may not be of much use since all my home movies are recorded with a digital 8mm camcorder. I capture only to DV AVI. Edit in Videowave. Create my DVD menus and chapters in MyDVD 8 and then burn from MyDVD 8. I only put one hour or less of video on each disc for best quality.

ggrussell is right. The key to good DVD output is the input. It looks like you said that you are trying to import video from a DVD disc. I have not imported much from DVD discs to edit. Like ggrussell I only import DV via firewire. Can you confirm the method of video capture that you are using. That might make a difference in the help you can get.

I have burned 8mm tapes to DVD then imported into EMC. The probem is not the quality of the video I am importing. The problem is the end result EMC 8 is creating. I have imported the exact same DVD into ULead and produced a very good quality movie just using the trial version. So I know the problem is not the DVD I am importing. I do not have a problem with my computer or the quality of the video I am importing. I would just like anyone who has actually burned a good quality video with EMC 8 to be very specific with the procedures so I can duplicate it and finally make 1 good video with this software I have had since October and spent countless hours trying to make something work viewing. Sorry for the vent.

Okay I am going to try to outline a procedure, please let me know if this is right.

1) capture or import

*Questions:

1) Are you starting the project in MY DVD or Videowave?

2) After you are finished editng in Videowave are you: a) saving as a Videowave project :) saving to a video file c) sending to My DVD?

3) If not sending to My DVD from Videowave, how are you bringing up the file in My DVD are you: a) selecting the Videowave project file :huh: selecting the Videowave video file?

4) When finished creating the menu in My DVD are you: a) saving to video file :D saving to image file c) or burning straight to DVD disc?

5) If not burning straight to disc are you: a) opening image file and burning through disc copier

6) Are you keeping the EMC 8 home screen open when you are working in My DVD and Videowave?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You first problem is starting with something that is already compressed. ULead has a unique feature where it automatically matches the imported MPEG bitrate. Mydvd and Videowave do not. The ONLY way to get MyDVD to use a DVD compliant file and NOT re-render, is to not edit the file.

I recently bought a Liteon stand alone DVD recorder. I can only assume you are doing something similar since you say that you are burning 8mm to DVD. Since editing in EMC8 causes re-rendering, I ended up buying another app that was designed specifically to do the job - TMPGenc MPEG. VideoRedo is another. With TMPGenc I can capture and make cuts in one step to a single MPEG2 file. It only re-encodes those few frames needed. I then place that file in MyDVD. Create the menu and burn to VIDEO FOLDER. That way I can test the menus in PowerDVD Player. Using this method, I can record with any of the Liteon's recording modes and not lose any quality.

I also own Ulead VideoStudio 8. Although it matches the imported bitrate, it still may re-render some files completely. The whole 'smart render' thing seems to be very inconsistent in every app I've tried. I can say though that as long as I don't edit within Videowave or MyDVD, MyDVD has not re-rendered any of the MPEGs that I have used.

I normally capture from my digital 8mm to DV AVI.

Edit in Videowave and save as Videowave project.

Open MyDVD and add the Videowave Project

Customize the menus, etc

And then burn to video folder only so I can test the menus I created.

If it's ok, I then burn the video folder with Disc Copier.

Edited by ggrussell

I normally capture from my digital 8mm to DV AVI.

Edit in Videowave and save as Videowave project.

Open MyDVD and add the Videowave Project

Customize the menus, etc

What format is the saved Videowave file? (I'm not on my home computer so I can't find out easily)

Does anyone get good quality if they do the following?

Capture from my digital 8mm (16:9) to DV AVI.

Edit in Windows MovieMaker 2 and save as DV/AVI.

Open MyDVD and import the AVI file (12GB+ worth)

Customize the menus, etc

As I posted in response to another topic (Disappointed with MyDVD 8), this is what I've tried to do and the output is very poor. Using Nero 7 Premium instead of MyDVD gives excellent quality output.

Mike

In the future, please create a new thread. Thank you

As I outlined above, I have always had good quality when using DV AVI. Make sure there is only one hour or less on each disc for 'best' quality.

In the future, please create a new thread. Thank you

As I outlined above, I have always had good quality when using DV AVI. Make sure there is only one hour or less on each disc for 'best' quality.

I'm sorry, I thought my reply was relevant to this thread, since I was quoting the procedure you used, from the earlier reply.

Reading ronlaw3's posts, I believe he *is* starting from good quality video. I certainly am, and my problems seem to be identical to his. And I am putting less than one hour of video on the disc.

Mike

'Quality' is very subjective. Have 4 people watch the same video and you'll get 4 different answers. I don't think that consumers will EVER be able to duplicate the quality of a commercial DVD. Not even with HiDef camcorders and blue ray burners. That combo may come close to TODAYS commercial DVDs, but the movie industry will still be ahead of consumers technologically.

Like audiophiles, there will always be a group of videophiles. If you want top notch video quality, then you won't be getting that with under $99 software.

'Quality' is very subjective. Have 4 people watch the same video and you'll get 4 different answers. I don't think that consumers will EVER be able to duplicate the quality of a commercial DVD. Not even with HiDef camcorders and blue ray burners. That combo may come close to TODAYS commercial DVDs, but the movie industry will still be ahead of consumers technologically.

Like audiophiles, there will always be a group of videophiles. If you want top notch video quality, then you won't be getting that with under $99 software.

In December I decided I wanted to start converting my VHS tapes to DVDs. I purchased EMC8 and an A/D converter from Turtle Beach. I thought quality and sound sync of the first three DVDs were just awful. So I did some research that took a few months, including this site. What I finally ended up doing was using the program that came with the hw (AD FullCap) to do the capture and EMC8 to do the editing and burning. I can't judge if the quality is great, but it is certainly much better and acceptable.

I recently completed a slide show with some video clips and also got very jumpy video after burning it to iso. I know I have burned some quality stuff with emc-8 so I started looking around and in MYDVD, I dropped down the file menu and clicked on project settings. Low and behold it had defaulted to PAL and fit to disc. After changing it to "NTSC" and "Best" quality the jittery video was gone. It only showed up after I burned it so make sure you check those settings before burning.

I recently completed a slide show with some video clips and also got very jumpy video after burning it to iso. I know I have burned some quality stuff with emc-8 so I started looking around and in MYDVD, I dropped down the file menu and clicked on project settings. Low and behold it had defaulted to PAL and fit to disc. After changing it to "NTSC" and "Best" quality the jittery video was gone. It only showed up after I burned it so make sure you check those settings before burning.

I was experiencing the same problem, and took this advice and it worked. I used Pal because I understood that was required in England. eg NTSC DVDs bought in America would not work here.

I thought it worth a go and was so happy to find the quality was hugely improved - and it played on our TV.

I am posting this as I am hoping someone can explain about these settings. I make little family films to send to rellies in Australia. Will the NTSC setting work there. I dont know if this should be a separate topic, but I wanted say thanks to Jimbo206 anyway!!

Hi

Australia is the same as England ( Pal ). That said most new tv's and players support both formats down here now my son quite often buys DVD's from the U.S and they play fine.

Hi

Australia is the same as England ( Pal ). That said most new tv's and players support both formats down here now my son quite often buys DVD's from the U.S and they play fine.

Hi

Thanks, I am reassured !!!

Joanie