Jasonaug

Creating A Blu-ray Using Toast To Format And Final Cut Studio To Encode & Mux

Question

Like lots of people here, I've done a lot of trial and error trying to figure out the best way to make a Blu-Ray and burn to standard DVD media. And like many others have discovered, the results have often been less than satisfactory. Either the video encoding done by Toast has not been good enough quality, or problems arise when Toast muxes encoded video to produce blocky artifacts, which is unacceptable.

Using some ideas from Apple's Final Cut Pro forum (see this thread here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...&tstart=15), I think I have come up with a workflow to author a Blu-Ray such that the disc is formatted by Toast, but the audio and video assets are all handled by tools contained in Final Cut Studio.

Basically, you create a "dummy" HD DVD in DVD Studio Pro, and then use the resulting video file as your source material in a Blu-Ray authored in Toast, without Toast needing to re-encode or even mux the video:

1. Prepare the source material:

Either demux your original MPEG2 material to m2v & AC3 (by using MPEG Streamclip), OR use Compressor to encode. If you are encoding with Compressor, use HD DVD H.264 or MPEG-2 presets as a starting point. If you're creating a Blu-Ray on standard DVD media, the MPEG2 bitrate average should not go higher than 15 Mbps.

2. Build a bogus intermediate HD DVD:

- Start a new DVD Studio Pro project. Under General > DVD Standard, choose "HD DVD"

- Import encoded assets created in step 1.

- Add them to a track; add chapters, if necessary

- Don't bother with menus or anything else since it won't be used; ONLY the resulting audio/video contents will be used later.

- Build the DVD

3. Extract the muxed file from the dummy HD DVD created in step 2:

- In the HVDVD_TS folder created in step 2, find the largest file with .EVO extension; drag that out and save it for later.

- Rename this file "00001.m2ts"

4. Build a bogus intermediate Blu-Ray in Toast:

- Under the Video tab, select "Blu-ray Video"

- Under Options, select Encoding: Custom > More

- Name the disc, create menus (or not) as desired.

- Under the Encoding tab, below Video, set Reencoding to "Never". Click OK.

- Drag in the original m2v and AC3 files created in step 1.

- Save as Disc Image. Format: DVD

Toast will now build the disc, muxing but not re-encoding the source material. Note that Toast produces blocky artifacts in the muxing process, making the resulting video unusable.

Modify the BDMV folder:

5. Mount the disc image created in step 4. Open the disc and drag the "BDMV" folder to make a copy onto your hard drive.

6. Open the copied BDMV folder and find the STREAM folder inside. Now drag the 00001.m2ts file (created in step 3) into the STREAM folder to replace the existing m2ts file that was created by Toast. You will need to authenticate this by entering your computer's admin password (just like when you install software).

Make the final Blu-Ray disc image:

7. In Toast, select the Video tab > BDMV Folder. Drag the modified BDMV folder (with the replaced 00001.m2ts file inside) into Toast and save as a new disc image, or burn.

The final result is a Blu-Ray disc that was formatted by Toast, but uses assets encoded and prepared by tools included with Final Cut Studio. This also allows you to use 5.1 channel surround AC3 audio files that Toast otherwise wouldn't accommodate.

So far I've only tried this with MPEG2, but in theory you could use Compressor to encode to H.264 as well. I still need to test more.

Edited by Jasonaug

10 answers to this question

Great idea - but ... I'm using Compressor 2, those m2v/ac3 files are apparently not accepted by Toast 9.0.2 + Plugin (Toast doesn't respond any more and "the spinning ball" shines up), did you use Compressor 3?

Yes, Compressor 3. I suppose you could also build the bogus intermediate Blu-Ray disc image by having Toast encode it, you'd just have to wait for it to encode.

Great idea - but ... I'm using Compressor 2, those m2v/ac3 files are apparently not accepted by Toast 9.0.2 + Plugin (Toast doesn't respond any more and "the spinning ball" shines up), did you use Compressor 3?
Edited by Jasonaug

!!! , i will try this , looks like a very good solution to create a good file , did you try to convert raw EVO file from a any commercial movies ?

i buck up my old HD DVD s , and i have them on my drive , i woder if i canuse compressor to convert them to any movie file with 5.1 sound , because all of them have 5.1 digital plus and i cant dongrade them for some time ....

tnx

I don't have any EVO files from movies, just ones generated by projects I made in DVD Studio Pro.

UPDATE: It doesn't look like this process will work with H.264 files. I encoded a sweet-looking H.264 movie in Compressor and it plays great in Quicktime Player. But after putting it through Toast to make a Blu-Ray, it doesn't play properly, - stutters, locks up, huge amounts of blockiness.

UPDATE 2: this doesn't seem to work with MPEG2 material encoded with Compressor, either. Technically, you can still build the final disc okay and everything, but the video doesn't play properly. After muxing the material in DVD Studio Pro, the resulting EVO/m2ts file stutters and is unusable.

So much for that...

!!! , i will try this , looks like a very good solution to create a good file , did you try to convert raw EVO file from a any commercial movies ?

i buck up my old HD DVD s , and i have them on my drive , i woder if i canuse compressor to convert them to any movie file with 5.1 sound , because all of them have 5.1 digital plus and i cant dongrade them for some time ....

tnx

Edited by Jasonaug

demux your original MPEG2 material to m2v & AC3 (by using MPEG Streamclip)... but problems arise when Toast muxes encoded video to produce blocky artifacts, which is unacceptable.

This is exactly the problem I'm having. And I see this post is only a few weeks old, so I assume Roxio hasn't found a fix yet...This was the whole reason I bought Toast 9...to make playable BD discs on my Blu Ray player...Blocky artifacts are not "playable files".

Toast seems to make acceptable videos if I let it re-encode to AVC, but it takes sooo long. I'd like to just "pass through" my existing mpeg2 files...I just need Toast to make the BD formatted disc.

I assume during the "multiplexing" method, Toast is converting the mpeg2 standard file into an AVCHD mpeg2 file. According to my Blu Ray player, when I make the disc, it is AVCHD. There's no free software on the mac to convert to AVCHD??

HOW TO BURN A BLU-RAY DISK USING APPLE COMPRESSOR, MPEG STREAMCLIP, AND TOAST 10 THAT DOES NOT RE-ENCODE OR DEMUX THE 5.1 AUDIO.

This forum was a great help on getting me on the right track. I posted a walkthrough on how to successfully create a beautiful HD Blu-Ray disk using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, and Toast 10. This is something I discovered through much trail and error while working on creating a Blu-Ray screener disk and thought it would be a good idea to share my experience. Hope this helps others trying to find the best workaround. Click here.

HOW TO BURN A BLU-RAY DISK USING APPLE COMPRESSOR, MPEG STREAMCLIP, AND TOAST 10 THAT DOES NOT RE-ENCODE OR DEMUX THE 5.1 AUDIO.

This forum was a great help on getting me on the right track. I posted a walkthrough on how to successfully create a beautiful HD Blu-Ray disk using Apple Compressor, Mpeg Streamclip, and Toast 10. This is something I discovered through much trail and error while working on creating a Blu-Ray screener disk and thought it would be a good idea to share my experience. Hope this helps others trying to find the best workaround. Click here.

So essentially you're using MPEG Streamclip to mux audio & video together, and saving it as a transport stream, which allows Toast to burn without re-muxing? Interesting, I'll have to give it a try, hopefully Toast 9 will behave in the same way. Thanks for posting.

So essentially you're using MPEG Streamclip to mux audio & video together, and saving it as a transport stream, which allows Toast to burn without re-muxing? Interesting, I'll have to give it a try, hopefully Toast 9 will behave in the same way. Thanks for posting.

Good luck. Hope it works with Toast 9 as well!

Curious what others experience has been in playback of discs made w/ this technique. I did a couple of rounds on the PC side using other tools to remux and burn a Blu-ray of a .TS 1080i recording (a movie recorded off a mod sat reciever)...encountered a few video playback/audio issues and decided to try a different tactic.

Thank goodness for my dual-boot Mac/NT system--I always have 'options'.

Moving to the Mac side, I stumbled into a blind attempt at simply dragging the source .TS (1080i 29.97 MPEG-2 transport stream, w/ embedded 2-channel AC3 audio; bitrate is under 9mbs as it was from HBO sat broadcast) into Toast 9. Without a hitch, it successfully muxed (without re-transcoding) and burnt the file to a Blu-ray 25 that I could then play in my PS3. Only issue was an intermittent judder in the video playback--not repeatable and only occasional. Otherwise, this ended up being much easier than I'd hoped.

So, now that I'm THIS close...what do you think the playback issue stems from. Shouldn't be anywhere near the bitrate ceiling (see above, its from a broadcast/compressed sat stream), and there was no issue pushing this same recording over firewire to a D-VHS deck some time back. Ideas?

Thanks!

I see it's been a year, and your links are no longer valid. I'm interested in this workflow. Can you please make it available again?