Export Cd Audio Tracks To Hard Drive?

PatrickD

Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks for fast response guys but I don't think I adequately explained my problem in the first post. In Toast 7, I would drag a CD icon to the Toast window; delete unwanted tracks in list; select wanted tracks and click EXPORT button; save to folder on an external drive; save Toast playlist into that folder.

There doesn't seem to be a way in Toast 9 to do what I described above. There is no EXPORT feature or button anywhere to be found. Tracks are automatically imported when dragged into its window whether in the Audio CD or Convert tab area; who knows where they physically reside on my Mac or what format they've been converted to. I'm never given a chance to specify a destination drive. All I'm trying to accomplish is to use Toast, as I have done for years in 7, to rip tracks from audio CD's in AIFF (original format) directly to a folder on my Mac for later burning. I DON'T WANT TO CONVERT THESE FILES TO ANY OTHER FORMAT; I WILL BE BURNING REDBOOK-STANDARD CD'S FROM THESE FILES. If I have to manually drag tracks from the disc to a drive, so be it but it ain't 1994 so why should I have to? ;-)

Thanks for fast response guys but I don't think I adequately explained my problem in the first post. In Toast 7, I would drag a CD icon to the Toast window; delete unwanted tracks in list; select wanted tracks and click EXPORT button; save to folder on an external drive; save Toast playlist into that folder.

There doesn't seem to be a way in Toast 9 to do what I described above. There is no EXPORT feature or button anywhere to be found. Tracks are automatically imported when dragged into its window whether in the Audio CD or Convert tab area; who knows where they physically reside on my Mac or what format they've been converted to. I'm never given a chance to specify a destination drive. All I'm trying to accomplish is to use Toast, as I have done for years in 7, to rip tracks from audio CD's in AIFF (original format) directly to a folder on my Mac for later burning. I DON'T WANT TO CONVERT THESE FILES TO ANY OTHER FORMAT; I WILL BE BURNING REDBOOK-STANDARD CD'S FROM THESE FILES. If I have to manually drag tracks from the disc to a drive, so be it but it ain't 1994 so why should I have to? ;-)

There's no reason you can't continue using Toast 7 for this purpose. But there is a workaround to do this with Toast 9. Select your source audio CD in the Finder and press command+D to duplicate the disc as a folder of AIFF tracks on your hard drive. Add that folder to the Toast Convert window with Audio Files selected as the format. Now everything is the same as with Toast 7 except the Export button is now a big Red button. One difference I notice is that doing it this way adds the track number to the front of the file name, so using Toast 7 saves you the hassle of having to edit the track name.

Toast 8 and 9 changed the way tracks are imported from CDs and Toast 9 added the Convert window for exporting tracks. The reason the tracks are copied to an unknown location when imported from an audio CD is that Toast needs to have the files on the hard drive in order to enable such options as Normalize, cross-fade, track trim and the other goodies that are now possible before you export. Still, you can drag the tracks to the Convert window, delete the ones you don't want and export to AIFF the ones you do want by clicking the Red button. The AIFF export goes very quickly because the tracks are already in that format on the hard drive.

Another way to add tracks is with the media browser. Choose Files with the top button and go to the root of your Mac with the button that's just below Files. Double click on the audio CD appearing in the browser and you'll see the track list in the browser window. Select a track and click the "eye" button to have Quicklook start playing the track. This may be an easy way for you to select the ones you don't want to add to the Toast window for export.

There is a caveat. If you try to save a playlist in the Toast window that consists of tracks extracted by Toast from an audio CD, you'll get a -43 error that files aren't found. What you need to do is first export the tracks by clicking the red button, clear the list in the Toast window and add back the folder of tracks you just exported. Now you can save the playlist.

The more I try to explain the steps the more it seems like a hassle that's probably better solved with a different application or with Toast 7 since that's what's worked for you.

Hey DG thanks for the exhaustive reply to my question! I think I will continue to use T7 for ripping, given your answer, and use 9 for burning. Thanks so much for your help!

PatrickD - thanks for logging in last month. I was just as perplexed by the loss of an easy EXPORT function. DG and others are right, there are workarounds - but the easiest thing to do is keep a previous version in the dock.

Archived