• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Exporting Dvd

PeteMassie

Question

I'm running Toast Titanium on a MacBook Pro. I have 2 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, using version 10.4.11.

I'm trying to grab a homemade movie off a DVD to import into Final Cut HD Express. This should be relatively simple. Put the DVD in the internal DVD drive on my Mac, drag the movie from the media browser to Toast. It takes about 6 to 8 minutes for the movie to appear. I can drag the play button on the movie icon and everything looks fine in the Toast window.

When I export the movie to DV format, I get tons of dropped frames and skipping. I tried to copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to my desktop and load it from there into Toast. When I export, I get the same problem. I tried DV, DV 16:9, Quicktime format.........they all behave the same way. I tried progressive scan instead of interlaced.........same problem. The first couple minutes of the video are just fine and then jump, skip, drop........it's a mess from that point on.

Any suggestions?

Pete

3 answers to this question

This likely is an issue with timecode breaks. To fix that you'll need MPEG Streamclip. You can open either the DVD or the Toast-extracted MPEG file (in the Roxio Converted Items folder) with MPEG Streamclip. Choose Fix timecode breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose convert to MPEG if you want Toast to do the DV conversion. However, Streamclip can export to DV also. Streamclip also lets you trim the video with in and out points if you only want to export segments. It is free but requires the Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component which is a $20 download from the Apple Store.

ok, so i've downloaded Streamclip and of course like you said, I need MPEG 2. normally this would be a piece of cake for someone living in the US. In Canada, it's certainly not the same thing. Choosing that country brings you to another window, where you do find the MPEG2 component for QuickTime 6. I'm assuming that it's the same one. I'm still unable to make this purchase online from Canada. Still working on it.............ok, so i'm screwed. Canadians are worth crap. No MPEG2 purchases possible from Canada. Looks like i'm going to have to call them directly tomorrow. What a pain in the &%$.

Wait a minute.............

It's the Apple website that's screwed up. Choosing Canada just brings me back to the US on a different page, so I substituted 'ca' in the url for 'us' and WHOA, i'm on an identical purchase page and have completed the transaction.

Have downloaded MPEG 2, have fixed the timecode breaks, am exporting it to DV now.............37% complete.......everything looks ok so far. It's killing me......can't it go any faster?.......41%......57%.......Did I tell you I tried a DVD Ripper program from iSkysoft as well and although the video was ok (no dropped frames), the audio eventually became unsynchronized with the video. Started off ok, but by the end, it was about 5 seconds ahead of the video........68%......80%........97%......DONE

Am trying the DV file in quicktime......LOOKS GOOD IN QUICKTIME......i'm really excited here........so far so good. It's been a very difficult three days getting this to work. Am importing the DV file into Final Cut Express........It all works just fine.

tsantee you are the best. thanks for helping me out and making this happen for me.

I'm just really happy you read my posting.

thx again

Pete

This likely is an issue with timecode breaks. To fix that you'll need MPEG Streamclip. You can open either the DVD or the Toast-extracted MPEG file (in the Roxio Converted Items folder) with MPEG Streamclip. Choose Fix timecode breaks from the Edit menu. Then choose convert to MPEG if you want Toast to do the DV conversion. However, Streamclip can export to DV also. Streamclip also lets you trim the video with in and out points if you only want to export segments. It is free but requires the Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component which is a $20 download from the Apple Store.

Archived