• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cannot Delete Emcsuite9.1 Exe From Desktop

smckillop

Question

Ok, I have Windows Vista installed. 9.1 crashed and whist trying to restore the software I downloaded the 9.1 patch. The patch wouldn't install, and the software which cam pre-loaded on my PC claimed that is was an invalid copy. I uninstalled ALL of Roxio and have repeatedly attempted to delete "RoxioEMCSuitev9.1Update_1Z26RZS0RU4,exe" from my desktop to no avail. Every time I try to delete the file I get the following error: "This action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program." I tried to report this to Roxio directly, only to find out that phone support is something like 30 dollars for 15 minutes, and when I tried to fill out a ticket online, of course the site crashes!! Anyone have an idea as to what is going on? I verified registry keys were wiped, and I don't have sonic on my system. all I want to do is get rid of this file!!!

9 answers to this question

Try deleting the file from the desktop after restarting the machine, or in Safe Mode if it won't delete otherwise.

You will still need to do the clean install though.

Brendon

Any other ideas? I have removed everything I can (two dll files will not uninstall). I have all services wiped, all registry keys wiped. I am the one and only admin on my laptop, and I have verified that I have full control. This file will not allow me to delete it. It keeps telling me it's open in another program....though at this point I have no idea what program that could be. I have tried safe mode, I even tried opening a command prompt to delete it manually; before I remembered that there isn't a true DOS anymore and the delete command wasn't recognized....thanks for the help

Use the 'three finger salute' (alt ctrl del) and open task manager and go to processes and tick 'show all processes'

Stop the named processes (I presume you know what they are) and then try to delete them

Use the 'three finger salute' (alt ctrl del) and open task manager and go to processes and tick 'show all processes'

Stop the named processes (I presume you know what they are) and then try to delete them

All processes that are obviously named were stopped long ago. If I knew what blasted program had this thing open I wouldn't be ready to shoot my PC. I would have stopped the process and deleted the file. Anything named Roxio, Sonic, or anything else that I know for certain can be stopped HAS been stopped. Still this file which is strangely becoming reminiscent to days gone by dealing with GATOR persists in refusing my attempts at deleting it. At this point it has become personal. the file is not large; a whopping 20k, but now it's a matter of pride.....

All processes that are obviously named were stopped long ago. If I knew what blasted program had this thing open I wouldn't be ready to shoot my PC. I would have stopped the process and deleted the file. Anything named Roxio, Sonic, or anything else that I know for certain can be stopped HAS been stopped. Still this file which is strangely becoming reminiscent to days gone by dealing with GATOR persists in refusing my attempts at deleting it. At this point it has become personal. the file is not large; a whopping 20k, but now it's a matter of pride.....

Do the steps for the clean uninstall/install. If you cannot delete a folder, Windows will tell you which file(s) cannot be deleted. Open the folder and drag those dll files to your desk top, after you have deleted all the folders, reboot. You should now be able to delete those files. Since they are not in the correct folder, they cannot start and can be deleted. There may be around 6 to 8 files that you may have to drag to the desktop. You should be able to delete the exe file.

Boot up on a recovery CD and then delete the files. BTW, what are the names of the dlls that you can't delete?

Also, you might want to try creating another userid with full admin privileges and then logon using that ID and then try to delete the files.

I managed to get rid of those dll files. I booted to safe mode and while there I was able to rename the extensions. Then I rebooted normally. The (now renamed) dll files couldn't load so I could get rid of them. Now it's down to this one file on the desktop. 'RoxioEMCSuitev9.1Update_1Z26RZS0RU4.exe' is the remaining thorn. I'm away on business, so I will attempt the recovery mode when I get home.

Archived