Can't Hear When Using Easy Audio Capture

dchbbc

Question

First, go into the Control Panel and double click 'Sounds' then Recording tab. Do you see 'What U Hear' listed? If not, then right click what is shown and make sure 'Show Disabled Devices' is checked. Then if 'What U Hear' is shown, right click it and choose 'Enable' and see if that works.

I'm having a simular problem. I can see the audio recording and it will play back fine after recording, but I can't hear it while it's recording. I've checked everything I can think of and I don't have a "What you hear" button in the Sound panel in the Control Panel. I have show hidden and Disabled checked and it's not there. I've updated to easy version 9.1.075. I just got this Vista PC and I never had Vista before. It worked with my XP so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

You say you're recording records to the PC.How are you doing this?Do you have a turntable connected to the line in on the Sound Blaster?If so you should be able to set your Playback to Line-in and hear it.If this is how you're connected check the mixer in both the Sound Blaster software and Windows to make sure line in isn't muted for playback.

If you're using a USB turntable then others have mentioned this and I'm not sure a solution has been found.Try a search on this site for ION to see if any of the hits help.

You say you're recording records to the PC.How are you doing this?Do you have a turntable connected to the line in on the Sound Blaster?If so you should be able to set your Playback to Line-in and hear it.If this is how you're connected check the mixer in both the Sound Blaster software and Windows to make sure line in isn't muted for playback.

If you're using a USB turntable then others have mentioned this and I'm not sure a solution has been found.Try a search on this site for ION to see if any of the hits help.

I gave up on using the line in to hear and went to the USB and still couldn't hear so I hooked the ION up to my amp and the USB. Then I remembered that there was a phono/line switch on the bottom of the turntable and it was set to phono. I switched it to line and got rid of the buzz. I'm not sure if it will work now on the PC and be heard, but I up and running. Made it through about 30 LP's I haven't played in a long time. Only about 200 more to go!!! :blink: Thanks. I'm all set on this now.

Here is a post I read and my post:

My Question:

I'm having a simular problem. I can see the audio recording and it will play back fine after recording, but I can't hear it while it's recording. I've checked everything I can think of and I don't have a "What you hear" button in the Sound panel in the Control Panel. I have show hidden and Disabled checked and it's not there. I've updated to easy version 9.1.075. I just got this Vista PC and I never had Vista before. It worked with my XP so I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

What I read in here:

First, go into the Control Panel and double click 'Sounds' then Recording tab. Do you see 'What U Hear' listed? If not, then right click what is shown and make sure 'Show Disabled Devices' is checked. Then if 'What U Hear' is shown, right click it and choose 'Enable' and see if that works.

Does your new pc have a sound card or onboard audio? Sound works much differently in Vista. Be sure you have the latest audio drivers also.

I honestly don't know where thatr 'what you hear' idea came from - it's not on my copy of Vista Ultimate.

However, Vista handles sound in very strange ways and, to be honest, so long as recording and playback work, I wouldn't worry too much about hearing it during recording.

Does your new pc have a sound card or onboard audio? Sound works much differently in Vista. Be sure you have the latest audio drivers also.

Thanks for the reply. It has a sound card, Sound Blaster x-Fi Extreme Audio Vista and I let Creative do a scan for updates and it showed none available. I'm recording records to the PC and it would be easier to hear them when they record. I'm going to try some other things. I'll just keep "fooling around" til something happens.

Archived