New Sata Spec. To Feature 6gbps & New Logo

cdanteek

article

post-97-1219101034.png

(08/18/2008 1:33 PM EDT)

SAN JOSE, Calif. — The serial ATA interface is doubling its maximum data rate to support transfers up to 6 Gbits/second. The group marshalling the spec has also started a logo program to help ensure interoperability among the expanding group of hard, optical and solid-state drives using the link.

The Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) officially ratified its physical layer specification for 6 Gbit SATA which should be posted at its Web site soon. The full SATA version 3.0 standard should be available before the end of the year.

Actually I have 3 SATA drives in my newest computer and two are set for the 3GB/s rate (no pins) and the third one I left with the pins set for only 1.5 GB/s. To tell the truth I really can't tell that much difference in the two. IMPO. I think once the solid state drives really get going with some huge capacities (hundreds of GBs), it will leave the SATA drive in the dust. But in the mean time, 6GB/s will look pretty good.

Frank...

I think once the solid state drives really get going with some huge capacities
I agree... that's the next big step. I've already seen 32GB SD cards for camcorders at reasonable prices. Looks like they could put 10 or 20 of those into a solid state drive fairly easy. :)

Archived