Dvd Fails On Writing Lead In

dorich

Question

Attempting to burn A DVD always fails in the final stages during the phase when it displays the writing "lead in".

There are consistently two messages

"The file "VTS........" could not be accessed (Data Fork, -39)"

Couldn't complete the last command because of a mac os error

Result code = -39

When the error messages are clicked "ok" the DVD cannot be ejected - need to reboot to recognize the disk so that it can be ejected.

Running toast 8.0.4

OS 10.5.4

H/W iMac 2.4 Core 2 Duo

Media: TDK DVD - R

The "Verify Data" button is unchecked.

Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem.

When I ran into the this problem previously I was advised to uncheck the "Verify Data" button and that appeared to work.

But this no longer works

Thanks

7 answers to this question

The My DVD came from how the window was set up when you clicked Save as Disc Image. At the top of the Video window (when you are adding content to create a video DVD) you'll see the text My DVD. Click on that text to select and edit it. If you haven't already changed the name of the DVD's title in the Menus window (click on the thumbnail of the menu style to see this window), then changing the name at the top of the Video window also will rename the menu title. The menu title can be different from the disc title, if you want.

The likely reason you are needing to create a disc image first is that your optical drive is going to sleep while waiting for Toast to complete the encoding. This shouldn't be an issue when you burn discs that don't have an encoding stage.

Thanks for the additional advice and insights.

As I've continued to experiment with this process of creating the image before burning the DVD I was initially convinced that it was, as you suggested, the optical drive going to sleep.

However, after successfully creating a couple of images I'm now finding that I'm getting two errors when I create the image.

The second error message is the same OS -39 error (see image of message at http://img.skitch.com/20080822-ewc61b4f8b1...uemxs4qk7k.jpg)

I'll post the other error message after running another trial.

I had been creating an image of two one hour programs.

I tried doing just one, one hour program but it still failed.

The end result is that Toast crashes and there is no image.

Thinking out loud I wonder if this could be related in some way to a RAM problem.

I only have one gig in the system (iMac) and I do tend to run with a lot of applications open.

Any suggestions of possible causes would be appreciated.

Thanks

RB

RB,

With so little RAM I suggest quitting Toast after the disc image is completed and relaunching before trying to burn the disc image to DVD. Also, you should have no other applications open while Toast is doing any encoding. Toast uses a lot of Ram for encoding and in your case it is having to depend on virtual memory (available hard drive space).

Is the disc image on an external hard drive? If so you may be having a USB or Firewire issue (depending on how the external hard drive is connected. In this case you need to download and apply the 10.5.4 combined system update from Apple. I had to do this yesterday because my G5 iMac wasn't recognizing USB 2 properly. Applying the combined update fixed it.

Your highest priority should be to buy more Ram. Check the prices at Otherworld Computing, www.macsales.com .

Instead of pushing the Burn button, try saving a disc image first (File>Save as Disc Image). This should convert your source file(s) and create the DVD disc structure on your hard drive, without the need for a DVD disc at that time. If that goes well, you can then double-click the .toast file and burn with the image file as source. By splitting up the process it may become clearer exactly where the problem lies.

Thanks for the advice.

That worked with regard to getting DVD's burned. I've repeated the process several times and it works consistently.

If you could provide some additional information:

1. Double clicking on the dot toast file (as you suggested) opens the DVD player. So I used the copy feature in toast and that allowed me to burn the DVD, with the following exception:

2. Making the copy always labels the DVD "My DVD". Using this copying process I don't see anyway to edit the title of the disk.

Is there a way to edit the DVD title?

Thanks once again for your help.

"The file "VTS........" could not be accessed (Data Fork, -39)"
Instead of pushing the Burn button, try saving a disc image first (File>Save as Disc Image). This should convert your source file(s) and create the DVD disc structure on your hard drive, without the need for a DVD disc at that time. If that goes well, you can then double-click the .toast file and burn with the image file as source. By splitting up the process it may become clearer exactly where the problem lies.

Thanks for the advice.

That worked with regard to getting DVD's burned. I've repeated the process several times and it works consistently.

If you could provide some additional information:

1. Double clicking on the dot toast file (as you suggested) opens the DVD player. So I used the copy feature in toast and that allowed me to burn the DVD, with the following exception:

2. Making the copy always labels the DVD "My DVD". Using this copying process I don't see anyway to edit the title of the disk.

Is there a way to edit the DVD title?

Thanks once again for your help.

The My DVD came from how the window was set up when you clicked Save as Disc Image. At the top of the Video window (when you are adding content to create a video DVD) you'll see the text My DVD. Click on that text to select and edit it. If you haven't already changed the name of the DVD's title in the Menus window (click on the thumbnail of the menu style to see this window), then changing the name at the top of the Video window also will rename the menu title. The menu title can be different from the disc title, if you want.

The likely reason you are needing to create a disc image first is that your optical drive is going to sleep while waiting for Toast to complete the encoding. This shouldn't be an issue when you burn discs that don't have an encoding stage.

RB,

I need to know more about the format of your source video files and the settings you are using in Toast.

Video Format

The simple answer is that these are typically copies of pbs programming that I want to keep for later viewing.

They are uploaded via "TiVo To Go".

Looking at the source file in Toast its labeled as MPEG-2, with Audio MPEG-1

Settings:

Not sure what it critical in this process.

Everything is default with one exception but that's for the burning process not the image creation process.

FYI: I have the "Verify Data" unchecked when burning.

If you could let me know what other information you need I'd appreciate it and will get it posted.

By the way the first error message is at http://img.skitch.com/20080824-farbmfsktth...7kwjffr76rt.jpg

Thanks for your response.

RB

Archived