Different Question

wiry

Question

6 answers to this question

Best not to cut into another thread…

There are several ways to accomplish what you have briefly described. However you are going to have to spell it out in more detail…

What you 'concluded' will work but may degrade you quality, so give us some more details of your final goal and available sources.

Sorry about cutting into another thread. What I am doing is taking different sections of my trip to Africa and making them as an individual file within Video Wave so I won't have to edit such a long piece. At the end, I want to join them all together as a DVD movie. What is the best way to do this? Also, can you explain to me the different between creating a project in Video Wave and My DVD? Also, why use the short My DVD version? I am a little confused as to when I should use what and have had trouble finding a clear explanation. Also, is there a way to include a page of description before certain pictures? Where do I find out how to do that?

Thanks so much for helping a newcomer.

One of these days someone needs to compose something like this and stick it in Tips & Tricks! Maybe someday…

You didn't state if you have still pictures involved and that makes some difference.

It boils down to this. If you Output As an mpeg file from VW there is a slight loss of quality when it is rendered. If for some reason it has to be re-rendered in MyDVD there is another slight loss. If you add up enough 'slight losses' you get a noticeable loss!

Now that may be stretching it a bit and I don't want to be too anal about it…

Likewise, if you make a slideshow in VW, and this is the best way to do it, and Output As an mpeg your individual pictures become part of the mpeg movie clip and cannot be edited. (the original pics are not effected!)

Let's say I have 10 movie tapes and 1 thousand pictures from my trip and I don't want to have one huge single project in VW…

Think backward!!!

I want my DVD to have 3 menu buttons: Getting There; Wildlife & Coming Home.

There are some tapes or portions of tape that will go into each Title. The pictures are pretty easy to split up.

Assuming I want to avoid losses, there are 2 ways to get there.

If I edit each movie clip and save it in VW (dmsm file), I can add those dmsm files in MyDVD under One menu button! They will play one after the other in the order you select them.

The dmsm files created by VW are only "notes" on what you want it to look like. Your original source is never touched in any way shape or form!!! If you Output As and overwrite your source, it is gone forever.

Or I can combine the various clips and pictures in VW to create what I want each one of those buttons to contain and even have neat transitions between things, overlays, text and all those things that make a production pleasant. Do a Save (dmsm) and that one is ready to go.

Another advantage in doing it this way is 3 months after you burned your production, someone else on the tour sends you some picture/movies that you would like to add under the Wildlife button…

You can open the Wildlife.dmsm file and add the new stuff as you see fit. But you will have to redo the project in MyDVD adding those 3 dmsm files again. (we have not found a workaround for that yet).

If you used the other method you would have to redo everything from scratch in MyDVD.

To clarify, I have videos and pictures in my files. So if I understand you correctly, I can add the video wave files directly to my dvd and thereby keep editing ability and quality. I'm not sure what the buttons mean. Will the multiple video wave files play all at once, or will I have to direct them to play via the "buttons" whatever they are. Sorry, I'm a real novice, but I'm learning. Also, if I want to include a page of text in video wave, how do I do this.

Thanks so much.

Sorry, I see that you already told me that I could use one menu button in My DVD. I thought one of the posts that I read said that you couldn't add video wave files directly to MY DVD so that is why I was confused. I still need to know how I can add a page of text ... sort of a prelude to a section.

What is the actual difference between My DVD and Video Wave?

To clarify, I have videos and pictures in my files. So if I understand you correctly, I can add the video wave files directly to my dvd and thereby keep editing ability and quality. I'm not sure what the buttons mean. Will the multiple video wave files play all at once, or will I have to direct them to play via the "buttons" whatever they are. Sorry, I'm a real novice, but I'm learning. Also, if I want to include a page of text in video wave, how do I do this.

Thanks so much.

Sorry, I see that you already told me that I could use one menu button in My DVD. I thought one of the posts that I read said that you couldn't add video wave files directly to MY DVD so that is why I was confused. I still need to know how I can add a page of text ... sort of a prelude to a section.

What is the actual difference between My DVD and Video Wave?

Video Wave is for editing; MyDVD is for building DVD menus and burning to disc. Video Wave has many more options in creating a project.

As for text. Insert a color panel or select and image, click on internal track and drag the type of text you want to that panel. When finished, click on close. The text will only be on the panel or image you want.

You can add text that will last longer or to a video section by not using internal tracks. You simply add the text to where you want it to start and then, in time line, lengthen or shorten the duration.

For basics, watch one of these (Link) for a little more,

Watch this:(Link)

Archived