Sign in to follow this  
Peder

What Desktop Bluray Players Will Play My Toast Burned Discs?

Question

Hi and my first post here.I been using Toast many years now, always satisfied with the apps.

Today I upgraded tot 9 and BD plug and have a LG burner and happy to see my first BD-R working on desktop players.

Since you still not can play Bluray on Mac´s, but Toast is: "create Blu-ray discs that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or Playstation3 game console"

Well on the Sharp Sharp Aquos BD-HP20 will not play toast burned BD-R or BD-RE ( that suppose to be supported by the player)

Toast works great with the LG burner, the app is giving me no problems, just that I cant watch my discs on my desktop player....

Any help or ideas will be welcome!!

13 answers to this question

It would be best to find out from Sharp if there is any firmware update for the player :)

Yes, i did find a link to some german sharp site a file called : HP20E112_BD105.RVP

But in that list some poeple said that also change the region code as well ....scary maybe.

Since I live in Sweden I need my region setting untouched.

I just tested the same disc in a Sony BDP-S300 that my friend have, same result,,,, will not play.

Well based on firmware notes from Sony, the update seems to make BDMV format more compatible. It is quite possible the Sony player tested requires this update.

Well based on firmware notes from Sony, the update seems to make BDMV format more compatible. It is quite possible the Sony player tested requires this update.

Thanks, I will try to find some deeper info from sharp ( and Sony )

If someone has PS3, its worth a try as well :)

I assume that other users of Toast CAN play on their desktop bluray players, I hope that I am one of the few that

have problems, since Toast is sold by this statement - "create Blu-ray discs that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or Playstation3 game console"

I will test it with a PS3 as soon I have the option, if it work then, I´m back on step again with firmware and all this I really

don´t want to mess with. I on Mac for a reason, like to use my apps, don´t spend time with get i working as most of my windows user are.......

But thanks for you reply

Any one that have success with a "lowbudget" bluray destop player??

I have first gen samsung BDP-1000 which initially had similar issue and was corrected with a firmware update.

Edited by firenhancer

I have first gen samsung BDP-1000 which initially had similar issue and was corrected with a firmware update.

Great, I will check out my disc on a Video/TV store and check if it is my disc ( maxell BD-R) , Can it play this samsung,

then I know it is my Sharp and not Toast that make this a issue!!

Thanks!!

It would be best to find out from Sharp if there is any firmware update for the player :)

After the latest firmware from sharp, still Toast CAN NOT produce Bluray Video that can be played

on this Sharp Aquos BD-HP20 desktop player. I am on region B ( europe/Sweden)

I think that it is a issue when Toast BD/HDVD plug is : " "create Blu-ray discs that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or Playstation3 game console"

What more players are not to be in the list of " any standard players" ????

The Sharp cannot play AVCHD discs which is what Toast creates whether you're burning to DVD, DVD DL, or BD-R discs. It's not Toast's fault either - the sharp just doesn't do it.

Now, how did I find this out? The same way you did - buying one, upgrading the firmware, and still finding out that the Sharp won't touch them.

My suggestion: Sell the Sharp, buy a PS3.

The Sharp cannot play AVCHD discs which is what Toast creates whether you're burning to DVD, DVD DL, or BD-R discs. It's not Toast's fault either - the sharp just doesn't do it.

Now, how did I find this out? The same way you did - buying one, upgrading the firmware, and still finding out that the Sharp won't touch them.

My suggestion: Sell the Sharp, buy a PS3.

Ok, so then sharp is NOT one of " any desktop dvd player"....thanks for your reply, I have today visit a store and forced them to

test my disc ( with a promise to buy that one it could play it), and the Sony BDP-S500 did the trick.

Even the cheaper model that has the spec to play BDMV could NOT play the disc.

We did try some others like Pioneer, Samsung and that´s funny...they all are in the list of not working....

The ONLY ONE in that shop that could play this disc was the Sony BDP-S500!

So,it should be mentioned that " some desktop players" rather then "any", if I would sell Toast BD/HDDVD plug to anyone...

It looks like garbage, but it did play the disc. The settings and maybe encoding setting to discover will be the next step.

Still happy and hopeful I now can actually make BD-R disc with proper quality and be happy!

Maybe this is useful info for people struggling with the, little odd term "create Blu-ray discs that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or Playstation3 game console".

It seems that we customers have to make expensive expriments before you got what you pay for, either it is Toast faults or the producers of the players

I agree completely. The good news is that AVCHD playback support is increasing among Blu-ray players on the market. Panasonics and Sony's are the only sure bets, but the newer Samsung (the 1500) is supposed to support AVCHD. What's funny is that the series of budget players that are being sold at Wal-Mart (as a Magnavox) and Best Buy (as an Insignia) do support AVCHD.

I have used region 1 Sony 300 and PS3 to play Toast-burned Blu-Rays on DVD media, with success. The Sharp also did not work for me.