• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Apple Introduces Boot Camp

patatrox

CUPERTINO, California—April 5, 2006—Apple® today introduced Boot Camp, public beta software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Available as a download beginning today, Boot Camp allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac®, and once installation is complete, users can restart their computer to run either Mac OS® X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a feature in “Leopard,” Apple’s next major release of Mac OS X, that will be previewed at Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference in August.

“Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple’s superior hardware now that we use Intel processors,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users considering making the switch.”

Full Press Release: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

intelmac.jpg

“Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple’s superior hardware now that we use Intel processors,”

Apple has such a sense of humor. NOW that they run an Intel chip, they NOW have superior hardware? :)

A friend of mine has one of these new Apples and just downloaded the software.You have to have a full version of Windows XP w/SP2 though to install it so he's got to go buy a new Windows disk before he can use it.He's anxious to use it though.He told me if you format the Windows partition w/FAT32 you can share files between the 2 systems.Sounds pretty cool to me.

A friend of mine has one of these new Apples and just downloaded the software.You have to have a full version of Windows XP w/SP2 though to install it so he's got to go buy a new Windows disk before he can use it.He's anxious to use it though.He told me if you format the Windows partition w/FAT32 you can share files between the 2 systems.Sounds pretty cool to me.

You don't need XP w/SP2, but you do need a full XP Home or Pro disc (not upgrade, and not Media Center)

And being that OS X is essentially BSD you could probably swing some read-only access...

I was just going by what he told me.He was notified by Apple that it was available and I guess this is what he gleaned from the info he got.

Ok,as far as SP2 goes this is from the press release:

System Requirements

Boot Camp requires an Intel-based Mac with a USB keyboard and mouse, or a built-in keyboard and TrackPad; Mac OS X version 10.4.6 or later; the latest firmware update; at least 10GB of free space on the startup disk; a blank recordable CD or DVD; and single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later.

You don't need XP w/SP2, but you do need a full XP Home or Pro disc (not upgrade, and not Media Center)

And being that OS X is essentially BSD you could probably swing some read-only access...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

Boot Camp Beta: Requirements, installation, and frequently asked questions

Requirements

To use Boot Camp Beta, you need:

An Intel-based Macintosh computer with a built-in or USB keyboard and a built-in trackpad or USB mouse

Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later

The latest firmware update available for your Intel-based Mac

At least 10 GB of free space on your startup disk (single partition)

A full, single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later

Important: Your Windows XP installation disc must include Service Pack 2 (SP2). You cannot install an earlier version of Windows and upgrade it to Windows XP, nor install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it with SP2 later. See below for more information.

Note: Boot Camp Beta does not include Windows XP. You must provide your own, properly licensed,Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation disc.

Boot Camp Assistant (will be installed in /Applications/Utilities/)

A blank, recordable disc (to create the Macintosh Drivers CD)

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,125327,00.asp

What else do I need to run Boot Camp? You need Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later. Apple updated Mac OS X a few days ago, so run Software Update if you haven't done so recently. You also need the latest firmware update available for your Intel-based Mac; at least 10GB of free space on your startup disk; and a full, single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later, as well as a blank CD. The CD will be used to create a disc of Windows XP drivers for the hardware in your Mac.

I've got an earlier version of Windows XP. Will that work? No. Apple is very clear on this point. "Your Windows XP installation disc must include Service Pack 2 (SP2). You cannot install an earlier version of Windows and upgrade it to Windows XP, nor install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it with SP2 later."

Archived