Final Cut Pro Export Results

Michel Gallone

Question

Hello

I have very satisfying results exporting my final cut pro edits to Blu Ray using Toast bluray optional encoder.

I make a 1920x 1080 or 1280x720 sequence in final cut pro 6.02 ( 1440x1080 doesn't export correctly in my experience) using ProRes422 (HQ) codec interleaved with a HD1080i format in the sequence parameter. The sound is 16B 48k.

I then export the sequence to quicktime (keeping unchanged the settings of the sequence: Prores422(HQ))

I then import the ProRes422(HQ) quicktime movie in a blank Bluray project inside Toast 9

I then use the following encoding settings inside toast

Video CUSTOM

Video format MPEG-4 AVC

Average br 12Mps

Max BR 15Mps

Motion est Half PEL Checked

Reencoding AUTOMATIC

Filed Tolerance Top Field First

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Audio

Format Dolby digital

Data rate 320Kps

I then create a DVD image and burn on regular DVDs

It plays back perfectly on my Blu ray player: Sony BDP-S300

The quality of the H.264 playback is in my opinion the same as the original and in my opinion it even looks better than the FinaCut full quality preview . (using a high end 50 inch Pioneer Plasma screen )

I did tests exporting a music video shot on a RED ONE camera and edited in 2k inside Final Cut Pro. The only thing I had to do is create a 1920x1080 sequence because when trying to export the 2k file in toast the video ecoding quality was fine but the sound was out of sync

THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS are still an issue

Toast crashes when creating the DVD image every other time

Encoding takes very long : about 6 hrs for a 5 minutes video using a Double 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5

If the original video is noisy additional artefacts appear on the encoded bluray video. But If the original video is clean the end result is very close to the original ProRes422(HQ) File. And It looks actrually even better than the original HD video using my Sony BDP-S300 player

Hope it helps

Michel

http://sowattmusic.com

1 answer to this question

I've had no problems at all editing native Sony HDV (1440X1080i) sequences in Final Cut Studio and exporting as a Quicktime self-contained movie with current settings. These 2.5 hour HDV sequence

QT movie files export in about 30 minutes. Then I drag them into Toast 9.0.2, set my menu options and Toast 9 burns them in about 24 to 30 hours, using MPEG-2, max br of 26 Mbs, avg br 24 I was told by Roxio engineer that they use H.264 encoding, not AVCHD, and hence the long encoding / burn time. And these BDMV (BD-R) discs play beautifully on both the Samsungs (1200 & 1500)

and the Sony BDP-S500. Just FYI. Don't need to transcode to Pro Res or Apple Intermediate and waste disc space, I just stay with HDV.

Archived