• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sonic Uodate Popups Makes Me Sick !

ay50

Question

Hello Friends !

I have a "build 801b16a" according to "creator classic" installed in partition E:

I have installed the 8.05 update after first sonic popup about 8.05 updateavailibility.

No errormessages or alike so i assumed iupdate was sucessful .

Alas some days later again sonic update popups igen about the same 8.05 update availibility

so i updated again. and again and again evrytime the f..ing sonic update popup pops up

(despite the option "Check for update" under Toools/options is unchecked).

Now i am sick and tired of this f.... popup, :)

Is there a way to shut up this SONIC misery.

i do not need an update which only suceeds putting garbage in my hdisk.

my hdisk shows an increase of ca 114-117MB after update(s) but sonic still keeps popping up

and creator classic shows still "build 801b16a" .

This thing makes me really really sick.

Any advice ,.... Please to shut this Sonic thing down

Best Regards

ayay

4 answers to this question

Hi Ay50,

Can i ask you to do me a few things...

Save the update to someware on your copmputer, then run RoxioZap (from Here) to remove the EMC8 or use

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

1. Download msicuu2.exe .

2. Run msicuu2.exe to install the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

3. From Start menu, point to Programs and click Windows Install Clean Up.

4. Select the product to uninstall form the list of Installed Products and click Remove.

After you have cleaned the system, reboot

Now do the following...

1. Stop ALL antivurus/Firewall Applications

2. Remove any packet writing software you may have installed

3. Make sure you have the time set correct on the PC

4. Update the DirectX to the latist, and also your video card drivers

5. You MUST be a full administrator on the computer... see under user accounts in control panel if you are

6. Tray to copy the whole cd's to folders on the harddrive and run the clean installs from there

7. Remember to reboot strait after the install cd before you install the contence cd.

8. Make sure you have service pack 2 for XP on.

Let us know how it go's

Hi Ay50,

Can i ask you to do me a few things...

Save the update to someware on your copmputer, then run RoxioZap (from Here) to remove the EMC8 or use

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility

1. Download msicuu2.exe .

2. Run msicuu2.exe to install the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

3. From Start menu, point to Programs and click Windows Install Clean Up.

4. Select the product to uninstall form the list of Installed Products and click Remove.

After you have cleaned the system, reboot

Now do the following...

1. Stop ALL antivurus/Firewall Applications

2. Remove any packet writing software you may have installed

3. Make sure you have the time set correct on the PC

4. Update the DirectX to the latist, and also your video card drivers

5. You MUST be a full administrator on the computer... see under user accounts in control panel if you are

6. Tray to copy the whole cd's to folders on the harddrive and run the clean installs from there

7. Remember to reboot strait after the install cd before you install the contence cd.

8. Make sure you have service pack 2 for XP on.

Let us know how it go's

Hi Neil !

I have done everything exactly as you adviced

Unfortunately the problem remains and sonic still popups :) and shows update 8.05.

Now, I have uninstalled the entire EMC8 garbage and on my way to a retailer to buy NERO.

I THANK YOU Very very much :huh: for YOUR time and and the nicely detailed instructions :D .

Best Regards !

ay50

My config:

Dual 3.06 XEON on a Asus PC-DL deluxe + 2GB ram (4x512 , cas 2.5 3 3 7).

2 Hitachi PATA HDD drives (80 GB each 7200rpm) with partitions c,d,e,f,g,h and i respectively.

(all 3rd party apps installerade på partition E , where roxio also was)

XP-PRo sp2 with all updates as of today installerade.

Hi Neil !

I have done everything exactly as you adviced

Unfortunately the problem remains and sonic still popups :D and shows update 8.05.

Now, I have uninstalled the entire EMC8 garbage and on my way to a retailer to buy NERO.

I pretty sure that the files actually do get updated but whatever reports the version does NOT. I have the same issue (XP-Pro & two machines). I am fully conversant with computers & software issues & am generally able to identify problems! :)

I have many times gone back to a clean ghost image & closely analysed the issue. All of the files that I checked (right click – properties – version) show a change before/after the update has been run. They are 8.0.1.xx & change to 8.0.5.xx so I assume this represents V8.05, The file date is also a clue! :D

It appears that the issue is with the reporting of the version & not the actual programmes. I don’t have the knowledge to know where this text is stored or read from. It may be a Windows problem, it may be in the register? I run Windows XP Pro SP-2.

It seems that the only way to prevent this annoying “Update” nag is to disable update reporting. Maybe the experts at Roxio have some information as to why this happens as there are several users experiencing the same problem!

I tried basically everything even safe mode but updates can’t be implemented in safe mode. I have done many checks but can’t see any way to overcome the problem. There is the doubt that you could be running old (dogey) programmes. The issue needs to be resolved!!! :huh:

Archived