Can't Transfer Data

tiquer505

Question

I backed up my entire C file when my computer begain misbehaving. I did not realize the pc was loaded with Roxio 9.0 and that is through what the backup was saved on my CD. Now that the pc is reformatted and CD loaded, when I try to open it, I get a long list of lines reading: "cannot find files or files deleted." The only place I can even view what's on cd is through Notepad and then it only shows file names. How on earth can I retrieve what's on the cd? I tried reinstalling Roxio but it just hangs up and goes nowhere. Advice needed VERY much.

3 answers to this question

I backed up my entire C file when my computer begain misbehaving. I did not realize the pc was loaded with Roxio 9.0 and that is through what the backup was saved on my CD. Now that the pc is reformatted and CD loaded, when I try to open it, I get a long list of lines reading: "cannot find files or files deleted." The only place I can even view what's on cd is through Notepad and then it only shows file names. How on earth can I retrieve what's on the cd? I tried reinstalling Roxio but it just hangs up and goes nowhere. Advice needed VERY much.

Can you give us the exact steps you used to create your CD(s)? Did you drag and drop files to the CD? Did you open EMC 9 and add a bunch of files to a list then tell it to burn the disc?

When you load Notepad, you must be opening a file off of the CD, what is the name of that file?

Did you create one CD? More than one? Or is it a DVD?

What version of Windows are you running?

It sounds like you have a CD with Easy Media Creator 9 on it, is this a copy you purchased separately, or did it come with your PC when you got the PC?

Sorry to just be asking questions, but there is a lot of missing information that will help us diagnose your problem and help you.

Can you give us the exact steps you used to create your CD(s)? Did you drag and drop files to the CD? Did you open EMC 9 and add a bunch of files to a list then tell it to burn the disc?

When you load Notepad, you must be opening a file off of the CD, what is the name of that file?

Did you create one CD? More than one? Or is it a DVD?

What version of Windows are you running?

It sounds like you have a CD with Easy Media Creator 9 on it, is this a copy you purchased separately, or did it come with your PC when you got the PC?

Sorry to just be asking questions, but there is a lot of missing information that will help us diagnose your problem and help you.

The name of notebook file is Data_082108_042708-Notepad

I dragged and droppedC files to only one CD, using Windows XP. Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE came installed on my PC. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The name of notebook file is Data_082108_042708-Notepad

I dragged and droppedC files to only one CD, using Windows XP. Roxio Creator & MyDVD 9.0 DE came installed on my PC. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm guessing that your files were written with Direct CD (part of EMC 9), which does what is called, "packet writing". Writing CDs that way is not always terribly reliable, but how would you know until something bad happens? My suggestion at this point would be to download the trial version of either ISOBuster or CDRoller or CD/DVD Diagnostic and run that against your CD. That should tell you what the program thinks it'll be able to recover, at which point you can decide whether it's worth buying the program to actually recover your data.

In the future, to write to CD, you want to start Roxio Easy Media Creator, tell it you want to make a Data CD, add the files you want to write to the list, and burn that way (called "session writing), rather than drag-and-drop. Discs made that way should be reliably readable on any PC. Oh, and if you insert a blank CD into your drive, and it offers to format the disc, decline the offer. Session writing requires a blank (not formatted) disc.

I hope that helps!

Archived