• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Looks Nice ! But ?

JamesTw

Question

Having been an EMC user for several years and remembering the frustration of version 9 with Vista I was reluctant to upgrade to version 10.

However, the upgrade gremlin got hold of me and I made the purchase. Still one or two problems, but for me perfectly useable. I know other users have had a different experience.

One thing that does concern me about Roxio products is the lack of support by way of patches, as I'm sure one or two of the other user problems could have been rectified if Roxio had taken the time?

No patch in 12 months for a product that has so many different areas of use seems strange when compared to the likes of Nero and Cyberlink Suites?

Now the bright new shiny 2009 version is upon us and Roxio is tempting us again.

It looks very nice, and I especially like the look of the backup system as I'm always fiddling with my PC causing it to break :D

But, whilst it looks good there's still this lingering thought that any problems coming up won't be rectified? :unsure:

I have a choice and either buy now, or wait a while to read the opinion of others?

I want to buy but the previous lack of support for 9 and 10 makes me hesitate.

I wonder what others think?

Jim

8 answers to this question

It's embarrassing that they even have a "check for updates" listed in the software menus as I have never had a single update or patch from them.

I'm giving it a shot because hopefully they fixed many of the complaints we had about EMC 10. I'm sure everyone that tries it (including myself) will post their thoughts. The downloads are WAY larger so I'm hoping that means more dvd menus, etc. but we shall see...

It's embarrassing that they even have a "check for updates" listed in the software menus as I have never had a single update or patch from them.

I'm giving it a shot because hopefully they fixed many of the complaints we had about EMC 10. I'm sure everyone that tries it (including myself) will post their thoughts. The downloads are WAY larger so I'm hoping that means more dvd menus, etc. but we shall see...

EMC 10 has 77 menus. I would rather have less, and have a better working software. Hopefully the new version will be the one.

You don't need a Blue ray writer with this version. You can put 1 hour of AVCHD format on a standard disc using a standard burner. You then would need a Blue Ray player that will play the AVCHD format (and a HiDef TV and a HiDef source) . Those players are now about 150 pounds (I can't find the pound key on my keyboard) and are expected to drop by 50 pounds or so during Sept.

Of course, you can play the AVCHD disc on your computer; some people use large HiDef monitors for their computer.

Yes I read that, but I never watch HD films on my PC monitor and to be honest 1080i HD TV via Virgin Media hardly floats my boat.

I can see the difference of course but the funny thing with my setup is the sound quality drops for some reason? I prefer a clearer sound quality rather than the better picture as I'm partially deaf in my right ear. I've tried every setting without success. I hear anologue sound better. Dunno why?

My son also has an XBox and that handles HD Video so I might get round to trying that at some point?

I can get this 2009 version for £42 with a voucher code but can't see past the lack of support from Roxio for 9 and 10 and there's nothing essential in this version that makes me want to get it.

I'm watching this forum for other opinion's as I always like to get the latest version If I can afford it. Time will tell?

Jim

No patch in 12 months for a product that has so many different areas of use seems strange when compared to the likes of Nero and Cyberlink Suites?

Well, there are some patches to be found in these forums, at least for versions 8 and 9. I didn't follow version 10 that much as I too was frustrated with the v9 vs Vista issue, so decided to skip 10 (9 wasn't even Vista certified by the time 10 was released).

It's just a different approach... whereas N**O releases full version updates on a regular basis, Roxio releases a set of small patches to fix specific problems. I don't know if I would like to download a whole version of Creator each time there is an update, on the other hand having to reïnstall the product after a year of patches would make you wish you got a new version with all of them integrated... so I guess each approach has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Martin

Looking at the "what's new" section on the roxio website there doesn't look like that much has changed to make this an essential upgrade.

I don't have a need for HD video and at £200 a pop I can't see me buying a blu-ray writer, unless the price drops even further?

Nice new front end but from what's been said when the utility opens all's as was?

Looks nice but I think I'll pass on this version. Here's to the 2010 release.

Jim

Looking at the "what's new" section on the roxio website there doesn't look like that much has changed to make this an essential upgrade.

I don't have a need for HD video and at £200 a pop I can't see me buying a blu-ray writer, unless the price drops even further?

Nice new front end but from what's been said when the utility opens all's as was?

Looks nice but I think I'll pass on this version. Here's to the 2010 release.

Jim

You don't need a Blue ray writer with this version. You can put 1 hour of AVCHD format on a standard disc using a standard burner. You then would need a Blue Ray player that will play the AVCHD format (and a HiDef TV and a HiDef source) . Those players are now about 150 pounds (I can't find the pound key on my keyboard) and are expected to drop by 50 pounds or so during Sept.

Of course, you can play the AVCHD disc on your computer; some people use large HiDef monitors for their computer.

I am hoping that Roxio will add back in the functionality and programs that were left out of 10 as compared to 9 when version 11 is released. I'll wait some even then to see if quality control has improved. It's a complex product so I would expect the testing scripts to be numerous and hopefully comprehensive.

There is always one more: bug, enhancement, fix, improvement..... <_<

Archived