In Between A Brick And The Other Place

AJX

Question

I have bought every version of Creator since about version 4.

My computer easily meets the system requirements of Creator 2009 Ultimate. My windows version is XP Professional with SP3.

Experience with versions 9 and 10 made me weary about buying 2009. They had done beautiful things like wipeout all the files in my root directory - they were not used by Vista. On uninstallation it removed my DVD/CD drivers. I had difficulty in understanding why the original fix was to download a fix and run it before running the original program - why did they not just give me a download that worked?

Yesterday I downloaded Creator 2009 Ultimate - the speed was about 300 kps throughout for those of you who had problems.

Installed it. Rebooted. NOTHING!!! My computer could not run windows. I finially used last known good configuration. This booted windows, but the computer was very slow. On checking Windows Task Manager I found the CPU was working at 100%. When I looked at the processes I found that DragToDisk was taking 98% of the CPU operation. I stopped that process and the computer operated normally. Prior to this Windows had reported that it had recovered from a major error.

I do not know what to do next? Do I uninstall the program and risk what it might deleted on the way? Can I reboot my computer without having problems?

Did anyone else experience the same thing?

17 answers to this question

Hello AJX,

Creator 2009 Ultimate does not contain or install Drag-to-Disc [neither does EMC 10.x] What has this to do with Creator 2009 Ultimate? Have you been playing "mix and match" with your software??

You should be able to run Creator 2009 happily if you do a clean install, using this KnowledgeBase article.

I don't understand. Why has Roxio made it so that you have to delete or remove EMC 10 when you have paid for it, just because you want to install 2009? I have about 5 or 6 versions of Photoshop installed, and I certainly didn't have to delete any of those! The same thing goes with many other programs.

And why do they make it so laborious? I'm having problems in that it won't install at all. hangs up on Net Framework 3.5, then tells me installation is complete, THEN tells me when I try to install content, that I have to install EMC 11 first.

Anyone else having this particular problem?

IMD

I don't understand. Why has Roxio made it so that you have to delete or remove EMC 10 when you have paid for it, just because you want to install 2009? I have about 5 or 6 versions of Photoshop installed, and I certainly didn't have to delete any of those! The same thing goes with many other programs.

And why do they make it so laborious? I'm having problems in that it won't install at all. hangs up on Net Framework 3.5, then tells me installation is complete, THEN tells me when I try to install content, that I have to install EMC 11 first.

Anyone else having this particular problem?

IMD

As far as I know, you don't have to uninstall EMC 10 to install the new version.

Grandpa,

I don't understand what is going on. I've tried all sorts of things. I'm thinking the problem lies somewhere in the Net Framework. I've removed every version, I've gone to SP3, I've reinstalled every version...and now going back to square one with a Save & Restore from three days ago as I started to remove framework versions in between last night and today. SIGH.

I think if i didn't have so many broken bones healing, I'd kick the computer! ;)

IMD

Good, then I misunderstood someone else's post.

Now to find out what is wrong on MY machine. This is another machine because the Dell on which the problem resides is doing a restore. This is a notebook and I do not have any of Roxio's stuff on it.

IMD

sometimes .Net Framework 3.5 would take quite a long time to install. I have experience with one took 15 min and one took almost an hour. Both times I thought the install hung but I just left them there. Eventually they were installed without any error.

Hello AJX,

Creator 2009 Ultimate does not contain or install Drag-to-Disc [neither does EMC 10.x] What has this to do with Creator 2009 Ultimate? Have you been playing "mix and match" with your software??

You should be able to run Creator 2009 happily if you do a clean install, using this KnowledgeBase article.

:D

Because of the problems which I had with 9 and 10 during installation and unintallation (this was before Roxio came up with any fixes) I reinstalled 6. The reason being that my music library is based on Audio Central 6.

Unlike previous versions there was no notice or offer to uninstall older versions when installing Creator 2009.

On rebooting the computer initially I had the problem that it kept rebooting before Windows could start. There were failure screens which I had never seen before. On the regular failure screen I took the option to load last known good configuration. During the loading of Windows I had 2 failure messages related to Creator 2009 - ContentMerger.exe (CPScommontools11.dll) and RoxWatchTray11.exe (LayoutDll11.dll). Yesterday afternoon I rebooted my computer and only the second message was still there. The two files (exe and dll) were where they would expected to be in the common files folders (SharedCOM and DLLShared)

I have since uninstalled all of version 6 - except for Audio Central. This should fix the drag-to-disk problem.

For others: The download of the 2.62 GB of files for Creator 2009 Ultimate was done at about 300KB/Sec. There was no problem installing Net 3.5.

I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

I have 10.1 and 2009 both running OK on my PC.

I had some initial problems installing 2009 (the install worked, but the EMC 2009 home app would not open, generated a 'send/don't send' Windows error message; the individual apps worked OK). I traced this to the .NET framework versions that I had on my PC prior to installing EMC 2009. My solution, after uninstalling EMC 2009, was to uninstall all 3.5, 3.0, 2.0 (including its service packs) that showed in add/remove, in descending order. Restart. Download and install only .NET framework 2.0 (not 2.0 SP1 or SP2, nor 3.0 or 3,5) from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

restart PC, install EMC 2009. It installs .NET framework 3.5 (which includes 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1, which is all you need). Then EMC 2009 worked fine.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld

Okay, been about a week of solid working on getting 2009 installed on this machine, but it was a tangled web.

First of all, when I couldn't install it on this machine (a Dell 9150), I had to install it onto my T43p, just to see if it was my system, the operating system or wherever the problem may be. I don't want it on my notebook, and will take it off later today. I don't like anything cluttering up my notebook, and certainly don't burn anything from it. But the point was, I needed to compare.

The point was, it installed perfectly and without a problem on the notebook. Both systems are running XP Pro. I tested with and without SP3, alternating. I can do that because I make image backups, but it takes hours to restore, and I mean six hours or so.

After extensive searching on the net for answers as to why MY system was encountering two errors, a) a .NET framework issue and b.) the old Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109) issue...I found dozens and dozens and dozens of techie posts, and was in touch with Microsoft many times...seems I was certainly NOT the only one with these issues.

The only way I could get Roxio 2009 to install on this computer was to resolve these issues first, and none of the suggested articles and procedures worked.

First I had to remove all instances of .NET framework. The tool that Microsoft gives you to do this (msicuu2.exe) does NOT remove all of .NET framework instances, even though they say it does. It doesn't. I'm trying to save you endless hours of frustrating tedium here.

When I checked out the techie answers, they wanted you to change your registry and everything else under the sun, believe me, that isn't the way to go. And if you don't run an actual IMAGE backup of your system and have your BIOS set to boot from CD, and have a bootable CD prepared to boot to a restore image...don't try this at home kiddies ;) I have heard that with Vista that isn't necessary. I cannot say as I am currently using XP Pro. It will be one of the first things I check out when my new system arrives.

Google (because I forgot the link) cleanup_tool.exe (it has no viruses) and use it TWICE. Using it one time will leave 1.0 and 1.1 still on your system.

After you reboot, Google SQL Server 2005, and it will take you to a Microsoft page where you can download the bootstrap edition of SQL server, and you will then proceed to install each version of .NET framework again, and you can manually install if you choose.

Once I did that, all of the framework instances went in fine, and I no longer had the KB948109 update non-installation problem.

Now Roxio installed on here beautifully, and no errors. So now I can take it off of my notebook.

I solved all of this stuff by carefully watching my error logs, both in Windows, and the .NET framework error log.

But guess what? I'll have to remove it from here as well soon because I have a new computer being built that will run Vista 64 bit, and that is where I'll want Roxio 2009 to reside, because it will have 2 Blu Ray burners installed. Actually, the new system will probably take a few weeks because it is a very high-end system and not one they are likely to have sitting around (Dell).

I see a lot of mention of "Ultimate" here for Roxio, but I can't recall being offered that. I'll have to check it out. As far as I know I just have Roxio 2009.

I sincerely hope that my week or more of solid work to resolve these issues actually helps someone else.

The funny part is I'll have to leave it on here just long enough to make sure that it installs on the new system correctly before I can take it off of here. All that work, and I'm going to take it off! LOL! But I hope it helps someone.

IMD

In addition, and this is an important point I neglected to mention above, so I hope you read this too.

I went in through control panel>add remove programs (you have to have administrator power to do this) and removed all of the instances I could. You run the tool after that.

Make sure you turn off your automatic updates until you have finished the procedures outlined in my previous post, otherwise you'll be inundated with updates that will just go in circles.

You can turn them back on after the procedures above, and it will then update fine.

IMD

In the steps associated with Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility, it states to remove DirectXServiceInstall. When I run the Installer Clean Up it lists DirectXInstallService[9.0.2] It would look like InstallService should be removed although all of the Roxio instructions state to remove ServiceInstall.

I would presume Roxio needs to correct their instructions regarding a clean install. This applies to WinXP and Vista clean install instructions. I submitted a ticket to Roxio and got back a response, "Thank you ......" which really answered the question I poised as to whether their instructions were in error or that there is a difference between DirectXInstallService and DirectXServiceInstall. This lack of attention to detail is evident in all of their software which is why I spend two to four hours every time I upgrade. The Creator 2009 installation is providing the same scenario. I did a clean uninstall and then Creator 2009 says it needs to have Easy Media Creator 10 installed which then invokes a rollback. I've attempted three installs with no success. I also have a ticket in on this one also since I have never seen any mention of Creator 2009 being an upgrade.

I have a new 64 bit machine and installed Creator 2009 yesterday morning and uninstalled it last night after a full day of hang ups by the program no matter what I tried. I can't find where to uninstall .net framework. It's not in add/remove and doesn't show up if I search for .net framework. I will call Roxio on Monday and let them tell me what to try. I did a lengthy clean uninstall...I think.

Larry Durbin

Edit: e-mail address deleted so that Larry doesn't get spammed.

@Larry: This is a users forum, and no one is going to e-mail you.

Edited by grandpabruce

I have a new 64 bit machine and installed Creator 2009 yesterday morning and uninstalled it last night after a full day of hang ups by the program no matter what I tried. I can't find where to uninstall .net framework. It's not in add/remove and doesn't show up if I search for .net framework. I will call Roxio on Monday and let them tell me what to try. I did a lengthy clean uninstall...I think.

Larry Durbin

Edit: e-mail address deleted so that Larry doesn't get spammed.

@Larry: This is a users forum, and no one is going to e-mail you.

Sounds like you don't have Net Framework installed. Install it with:

.NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplaylang%3den

In addition, and this is an important point I neglected to mention above, so I hope you read this too.

I went in through control panel>add remove programs (you have to have administrator power to do this) and removed all of the instances I could. You run the tool after that.

Make sure you turn off your automatic updates until you have finished the procedures outlined in my previous post, otherwise you'll be inundated with updates that will just go in circles.

You can turn them back on after the procedures above, and it will then update fine.

IMD

You provided some great insights. I already tried the clean install and it didn't work for me either. What did work was simple:

What did work was:

1. Deleted all versions of .NET Framework with Windows Installer CleanUp Utility http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exe

2. Installed Windows Installer 4.5 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplayLang%3den

3. Installed .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplayLang%3den

4. Installed DirectX End-User Runtime http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplayLang%3den

Hope this helps others to get Creator 2009 to open.

expilot,

64 bit machine, that would be the operating system, Vista or XP?

RFNAPLES,

You never mention the operating system your using Vista, Xp, 32bit, or 64bit?

You don't need to install '.NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1' for Roxio to install.

No matter what you do, the install will again, install '.NET Framework 3.5'.

dxwebsetup.exe Version: 9.25.1476, again no mention of a operating system, XP maybe?

cd

expilot,

64 bit machine, that would be the operating system, Vista or XP?

RFNAPLES,

You never mention the operating system your using Vista, Xp, 32bit, or 64bit?

You don't need to install '.NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1' for Roxio to install.

No matter what you do, the install will again, install '.NET Framework 3.5'.

dxwebsetup.exe Version: 9.25.1476, again no mention of a operating system, XP maybe?

cd

I have computers with both Vista Ulitimate (64-bit) and XP Pro (32-bit). The steps I gave will work with either OS or bits.

I did need to install .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 after I uninstalled all previous versions, including the one installed by Creator 2009. I installed Creator 2009 and Creator 2009 Servicce Pack 1 but it would not start unless I installed .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 using the steps described.

It worked for me, it should work for you. The Clean Install steps given on this forum were time consuming and didn't work for me and others on this forum.