• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rewriting DVD-RW

precisionemb

We'll try again. I just bought a Dell PC with a DVD-RW that want to use to backup my files. I used drag-to-disc to write a new disc and it worked pretty well. It wrote the disc fairly quickly and it looks like everything is there and is accessible in the event I need to recover something. The problem I have is when I want to over-write or reuse a disc. I've already read that I need to ERASE the disc if I want to reuse it this way, but I did that with one disc: I went into Roxio Creator DE\Tools\Full Erase and let it erase the disc. It took 30 minutes or so and said it was complete, but when I tried to write a new backup to it using drag-to-disc it indicated it was going to take like 2 hours, so I left it running overnight, but it didn't write the files. Drag-to-disc says "blank disc", and when I try to drag files into it, it says "Preparing to copy" but doesn't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Unless the idea is to permantly LOSE the data, what you are doing wrong is using Drag2Disc.

If you want to KEEP the data, use one of the reliable applications, like Creator Classic, and a BLANK blank directly off the spindle or out of the package.

And use R media.

Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, Sonic's DLA, etc) is ok for moving files from one computer to another when the original file is safely on the original computer.

RW media is fine for testing, since it can be erased and re-used.

Using Packet-Writing and RW media together will lose the data far faster than using either seperately.

Lynn

Drag-to-Disc is quite a useful program for writing temporary copies of files to a formatted disc, for transporting to a machine running the same software, but it isn't a good idea for backups since you need to have the same software already running on the destination machine.

Neither is using RW discs a good idea for backups, since RW discs lose data quite quickly compared to R discs.

A full erase on a standard CDRW or DVDRW disc will take a long time.

If you want to make a backup which will be usable when you want to restore, you'd be better off making the backup with write-once discs - DVD-R or DVD+R using Creator Classic if you have it, or the Sonic 'Data Disc' option if you don't have Creator Classic. Leave the RW discs for their intended purpose, making temporary copies of things.

The particular advantages to this method are (1) the disc you make is a standard data CD or DVD, and can be read by any PC without needing special software. (2) The disc will last for at least 30 years, in reasonable storage conditions. (3) You don't have to format the discs, and don't lose space to formatting. (4)Writing will be much faster since RW discs are commonly 4x speed while R discs are up to 16x for DVD or 48x for CDs. The inescapable advantage is that you will be able to read your data when you need to.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived