Video Quality

wwhobber

Question

I'm having video quality issues. If I record an edited video directly from my editing software to a DVD recorder, the quality looks nearly as good as the original. When I use EMC 8/MyDVD 8 to encode the video and burn it to my computer's DVD burner, the quality is clearly not as good. This seems to be most noticable when I am burning multiple videos to disc with a menu.

The only encoding quality settings I have found give me (2) choices: "Fit to disc" or manually setting the quality to "BEST". I can also choose "interlaced" or "progressive".

Anyone have any thoughts on how to achieve the very highest quality when burning to disc?

2 answers to this question

I'm having video quality issues. If I record an edited video directly from my editing software to a DVD recorder, the quality looks nearly as good as the original. When I use EMC 8/MyDVD 8 to encode the video and burn it to my computer's DVD burner, the quality is clearly not as good. This seems to be most noticable when I am burning multiple videos to disc with a menu.

The only encoding quality settings I have found give me (2) choices: "Fit to disc" or manually setting the quality to "BEST". I can also choose "interlaced" or "progressive".

Anyone have any thoughts on how to achieve the very highest quality when burning to disc?

Leave it at "Best", and under Tools/Options, change to software render.

I don't have version 8, on my computer, anymore, but I do believe that the option to change to software render was there. I had the same problem, with quality, that you did, when I was set to hardware render.

Fit to disk will only compress your video and audio if the size is greater than the size of the DVD. If your video and audio is greater in size then compression will be used which will reduce quality. Interlace video is associated with older TVs and normally is suitable for video with less motion. Progressive is better with motion and newer TVs can handel "P" type inputs such as 480P, 720P and 1080P. Also, be sure that your DVD player can output the format that you desire. Some of the newer DVD players will "uplift" DVD output all the way to 1080P using the HDMI connection.

Check to be sure that your video driver software is up to the lastest levels.

Archived