• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Capturing And Burning A Dvd

tollerdog

Question

Hi all

I am new to the "video scene". I have footage on my mini DV tapes from my video camera that I want to burn to DVD. I tried to capture to window's movie maker, and then burn on Nero, but it seems the 2 were not compatible.

I bout the Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, and want to know (before I open the software) if this program will capture my video and burn it to DVD only using this software.

Thanks for the help!

Jackie

13 answers to this question

GPB's suggestion in post 8 is ideal if you have the room on your hard drive and you can keep the tapes.

At a minimum, burn an original and one "back up" copy on DVDs (not cds). Don't use "RW" media. Everyone here likes Verbatim brand DVDs, so grab a spindle on sale and use one of those for your backup. I use DVD-, but lots here use DVD+, maybe burn one of each. Verify a good burn by watching (and listening) to the whole recording. If its fine, and you can't spare the HD space, then you can probably delete hd version w/o too much risked.

When you say dont use RW is that so I dont acidentally write over it?

When you say dont use RW is that so I dont acidentally write over it?

RW is great for transferring data, say from on PC to another, but as it gets erased and reused a number of times, it has a tendency to fail.

R type media (write once only) is a better choice for permanent archiving.

Hi all

I am new to the "video scene". I have footage on my mini DV tapes from my video camera that I want to burn to DVD. I tried to capture to window's movie maker, and then burn on Nero, but it seems the 2 were not compatible.

I bout the Easy Media Creator 10 Suite, and want to know (before I open the software) if this program will capture my video and burn it to DVD only using this software.

Thanks for the help!

Jackie

W/ mini DV tapes, you should be able to capture the video onto your computer via firewire, and then burn to DVD w/ the MyDVD program included in EMC 10 (editing would be done w/ a separate program in the suite called Videowave). Does your camcorder have firewire connections?

W/ mini DV tapes, you should be able to capture the video onto your computer via firewire, and then burn to DVD w/ the MyDVD program included in EMC 10 (editing would be done w/ a separate program in the suite called Videowave). Does your camcorder have firewire connections?

Yup, I have firewire. Without this EMC 10 program, I am able to get the video saved to my HD via Windows movie maker, but then am unable to burn it to a DVD, so it was suggested that the 2 software programs (Window's movie maker, and Nero) may not be compatible (as far as I can tell, Nero is not recognizing the type of file that Movie maker creates) so it was suggested that I capture and burn using ONE software...and I am wondering if the EMC 10 has the ability to capture and then burn......... if that makes sense.

Yup, I have firewire. Without this EMC 10 program, I am able to get the video saved to my HD via Windows movie maker, but then am unable to burn it to a DVD, so it was suggested that the 2 software programs (Window's movie maker, and Nero) may not be compatible (as far as I can tell, Nero is not recognizing the type of file that Movie maker creates) so it was suggested that I capture and burn using ONE software...and I am wondering if the EMC 10 has the ability to capture and then burn......... if that makes sense.

Yes, you can capture your video, edit (if you want) w/ videowave and burn a DVD w/ the MyDVD program, all included in EMC 10. You can probably get it for a bargain; Roxio just released a new program called Creator 2009. :)

Yes, you can capture your video, edit (if you want) w/ videowave and burn a DVD w/ the MyDVD program, all included in EMC 10. You can probably get it for a bargain; Roxio just released a new program called Creator 2009. :)

I did get it on sale...$50 from $100!

thanks for the info!

In addition to what Tom said, DON'T capture in Windows Movie Maker. Capture, with Roxio EMC 10's Media Import, and capture as a DV-AVI file.

It will require lots of room, so hopefully, you have a large hard drive.

So, just to make sure I understand. I capture and then burn using Roxio....then once on CD I can delete to free up the HD space. Correct?

So, just to make sure I understand. I capture and then burn using Roxio....then once on CD I can delete to free up the HD space. Correct?

GPB's suggestion in post 8 is ideal if you have the room on your hard drive and you can keep the tapes.

At a minimum, burn an original and one "back up" copy on DVDs (not cds). Don't use "RW" media. Everyone here likes Verbatim brand DVDs, so grab a spindle on sale and use one of those for your backup. I use DVD-, but lots here use DVD+, maybe burn one of each. Verify a good burn by watching (and listening) to the whole recording. If its fine, and you can't spare the HD space, then you can probably delete hd version w/o too much risked.

RW is great for transferring data, say from on PC to another, but as it gets erased and reused a number of times, it has a tendency to fail.

R type media (write once only) is a better choice for permanent archiving.

Thanks everyone for the amazing help!

Archived