Overlay Track Question

Guest RCD74

Question

Hi Everyone - You are only allowed 5 overlay tracks, but I need one more. Is there any way around this?? I have a color panel, then an overlay and text at the start of my slide. Then I want to add 5 more overlays to fade in one after the other. None of the overlays are overlapping each other but they all fade in and then stay on the screen. Is there a way I can fit the 6th overlay here?? Thanks. I know one of you gurus will figure out a way! (I hope!! :)

Rachel

22 answers to this question

How about outputting the 5th AND 6th overlay in action to an mpg or wmv? Then use that output as the 5th overlay in your production.

Hmmm, I am thinking about how that would work. I will try what you have suggested. Thanks so much. I will let you know how it goes!!

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Sorry if I didn't give a detailed suggestion.

I was thinking that if you have your production already set (just using any 5 overlays in the meantime), make a copy of this production and save it as a temporary dmsm file. Using this temporary dmsm, replace the content of the main video track with color panel (same duration as the replaced video clip). Then remove the rest of the objects, just leaving the two overlays. Then output the production as an mpg or wmv.

Bring up the opriginal production, remove the last two overlays (or whatever overlays were used in the mpg/wmv), and insert the created mpg/wmv as an overlay to the original production.

I haven't done this myself but good luck!

Hi Rachel,

Sorry if I didn't give a detailed suggestion.

I was thinking that if you have your production already set (just using any 5 overlays in the meantime), make a copy of this production and save it as a temporary dmsm file. Using this temporary dmsm, replace the content of the main video track with color panel (same duration as the replaced video clip). Then remove the rest of the objects, just leaving the two overlays. Then output the production as an mpg or wmv.

Bring up the opriginal production, remove the last two overlays (or whatever overlays were used in the mpg/wmv), and insert the created mpg/wmv as an overlay to the original production.

I haven't done this myself but good luck!

Oh, I see what you are saying (I think!! :unsure:) . I actually just did it a different way. I took the one slide that had the colored panel, text, and 5 overlays and outputted it as an mpg2. Then, I inserted this mpg 2 into my dmsm production where I wanted it, went inside the internal track of the mpg, and put my final overlay that wouldn't fit in the slide before, into this video. The only problem is that the quality of the mpg is not as good as it was originally, so my final overlay looks clearer (it is a picture) than the other overlays from before. Am I making any sense??

Rachel

How about working on the original dmsm, just place the 5 overlays, then go to the internal track of the color panel and add the 6th overlay (or whatever overlay is not included in the external track). That should give the same video quality (no need for external overlay in mpg format).

I had a similar problem on a recent movie. I had 12 overlays I wanted to show all in succession. I put 4 of them on a colored blank panel. I then added two more blank panels of the same color and added the rest of the overlays to the other two panels. By adjusting the overlay duration and timing I was able to show all twelve overlays in an almost seamless view. Do no use a transition between these panels. The same effect can be used even if a picture is the primary panel. Just insert it twice or however many times needed.

Willard M

Hi - Just wanted everyone to know how my project turned out. I went ahead and used a colored panel with a total of 5 overlays in the internal track. In order to use the 6th overlay, I placed it exactly where I wanted it in the external track in the timeline view of that panel. It all worked out well and I didn't lose any quality with ouputting it. I could not do what Willard suggested b/c I needed ALL of my overlays to be seen on the screen at once. Thanks for all the input!!

Rachel

Thanks guys. I wasn't thinking "outside the box" when I ran into my original problem. You have all helped me out and now I have many different ways to go about this. Thanks!!

Rachel

Output a short bit of it and post on YouTube so we can see what you've done. :)

Thanks for everyone's support!!! :) As for posting it, I am not sure you'd want to see our family vacations this summer!! However, if you really want to....... then I can post a link!! :rolleyes:

Rachel

Well I was more interested in how that many overlays looked and how you applied them. Perhaps a short 2 or 3 mins showing the multiple overlays? ;)

Come on - You mean you don't want to see my family in Vegas and at the beach??!! :lol:

I will certainly get a clip up on here soon.

Rachel

Here are 2 images of what it looks like in Videowave. The first image is in the external track of the entire production, while the second image is what it looks like in the internal track.

post-24578-1220572104.jpg

post-24578-1220572086.jpg

Rachel

How about working on the original dmsm, just place the 5 overlays, then go to the internal track of the color panel and add the 6th overlay (or whatever overlay is not included in the external track). That should give the same video quality (no need for external overlay in mpg format).

AHHHH, you are a genius!! Never thought of that!! Nice suggestion. Will try it!! Thanks so much for following me through this. <_<

Rachel

Here, by popular demand, is the last few seconds of the video I created which shows how I used 6 overlays with one panel by putting 5 inside the internal track and one on the external track of the production. It is really nothing THAT special but maybe this can help someone else out who wants to create a similar effect. Hope you enjoy!!

http://vimeo.com/1668682 (Password is Overlay)

Rachel

Archived