Hangs When Capturing Video With Dazzle From Old Vhs Tape

cathhh

Question

I am trying to capture old video on VHS media (which was originally shot with a Super 8 camera then transferred to VHS) using the Dazzle device that shipped with EMC 9. The video will play on screen, but when I try to capture, the program locks up after about 10 seconds. The entire program must be shut down and restarted.

For some reason, the Windows Installer activates everytime I now load EMC 10. Not sure why that is happening.

Before encountering the above problems, I can't count the times I have performed a clean uninstall of EMC 9 and then reinstalled. I was finally able at one point to capture, edit and burn a DVD from a new Mini DV video camera. I love the layout and ease of use of EMC 10 and hope I can get it to work permanently. I have tried it on 3 computers, and have had problems on all three.

All computers are less than a year off the shelf.

I have read so many horror stories with program hangs and crashes, I am beginning to lose hope.

I have updated drivers, installed and reinstalled numerous times after performing clean installs after using Windows Install Clean UP, updated Windows, etc.

Any help with these problems will be so very much appreciated.

A description of the environment I am currently working in is as follows:

Gateway Notebook

80 G Hard drive

520 Mg RAM

AMD Turion 64 processor

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Cathhh

1 answer to this question

I am trying to capture old video on VHS media (which was originally shot with a Super 8 camera then transferred to VHS) using the Dazzle device that shipped with EMC 9. The video will play on screen, but when I try to capture, the program locks up after about 10 seconds. The entire program must be shut down and restarted.

For some reason, the Windows Installer activates everytime I now load EMC 10. Not sure why that is happening.

I have updated drivers, installed and reinstalled numerous times after performing clean installs after using Windows Install Clean UP, updated Windows, etc.

Gateway Notebook

80 G Hard drive

520 Mg RAM

AMD Turion 64 processor

Windows XP Media Center Edition

Cathhh

Any chance you are using a Registry Cleaner? Don't, it may have screwed something up. You may have to do a repair install of the program to get rid of that error. When you get the message, just go ahead and do the installation. The installer program will ask for a file, point it to where you have EMC 10.

When you said that you updated all drivers, did that include the Dazzle drivers? Go here and install/reinstall the correct driver for the OS.

That laptop may be on the lower end of the mininum specs for this program. It will work but make sure you don't do anything else while you are capturing or doing any video editing. You might want to consider an external hard drive for the videos and to add as much memory that you can to that laptop (Ig or more).

Hook up that dazzle device to a USB port on the back of your computer; sometimes the ones in the front are not suitable for ruunning that device.

Archived