• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Powermac Won't Read Cds Created With Easy Cd Creater 4

DarkAvenger

I have an old Fairstar Pentium II 166 MHz computer running Windows 98 which has an Acer 10x8x32 CD-RW drive (as well as a CD-ROM drive) and a copy of Easy CD Creator 4 installed. I'm trying to burn a data CD to transfer some files to my Powermac G4 Dual 1.42 GHz MDD running Mac OS 10.5.4 which has a Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW drive (16x8x32 for CD). The media I'm using is a TDK 650 MB CD-RW High-Speed 4~10x disc.

The burnt disc reads fine on my Fairstar in both drives, but when I insert the disc in my Powermac's DVD-RW drive and try to open it my Mac Kernal Panics then closes the disc window moments later due to not recognising the CD format. This is despite burning the disc in the ISO 9660 format which is supposed to give compatibility with other platforms such as Mac, OS/2 and UNIX however when I selected OK to burn the CD I received a Compatibility Warning which said:

"The CD in your CD-Recorder is a CD-RW (Rewritable CD). You are creating a CD that is readable by multiread CD-ROM drives only"

Can anyone tell me which options I should use in Easy CD Creator 4 under CD Layout Properties and CD Creation Setup to ensure burning a CD that's readable in a Mac?

Did you try using a CD-R to see if that worked?

Also, if you are using Take Two (or a similar packet-writing program - it's that long since I used v4 that I can't quite recollect what it was called :lol:), that is in a proprietary format that requires the UDF reader to be installed on the target computer. This question has cropped up before and no-one here is certain if there is such an app available for the Mac OS

If you make the CD using CD Creator, it should work

No I haven't tried a CD-R disc as I want to be able to erase then re-use the disc. I believe Macs use HFS files not UDF as I found a topic in this forum called "Directcd Vs Mac" which would appear to answer my problem however I've tried all sorts of options under Layout Properties and Creation Setup, but continue to get the Compatibility Warning before burning and my Mac still doesn't want to read the CD's contents despite trying the suggestion in the other post. Its possible Pioneer drives aren't compatible with TDK media as generally I only use Verbatim branded discs with my Mac. Anyway I might contact Roxio Support to see if they can help.

No I haven't tried a CD-R disc as I want to be able to erase then re-use the disc. I believe Macs use HFS files not UDF as I found a topic in this forum called "Directcd Vs Mac" which would appear to answer my problem however I've tried all sorts of options under Layout Properties and Creation Setup, but continue to get the Compatibility Warning before burning and my Mac still doesn't want to read the CD's contents despite trying the suggestion in the other post. Its possible Pioneer drives aren't compatible with TDK media as generally I only use Verbatim branded discs with my Mac. Anyway I might contact Roxio Support to see if they can help.

The warning you're getting about "Multi-Read" discs was just about using CD-RW vs. CD-R discs. Back one ECDC 4 was out, not all drives could read erasable discs. I would definitely suggest trying a CD-R disc, it may be a case that the Mac is just having troubles that way. They're not that expensive to at least try one or two.

And make sure that you're NOT formatting the disc with Direct CD first, then dragging and dropping the files onto the drive. Put in a blank, unformatted disc, then start ECDC 4, select Data CD (again, NOT Direct CD) and add your files into the project, and burn a session.

Hope that helps!

So I can just ignore that warning as its no longer relevant today since all modern drives can read CD-RW discs - correct?

What I'm doing in ECDC 4 is selecting 'Quick Erase' to make sure the disc is blank first (that's not the same as formatting the disc is it?). Then I select 'Create New CD' and drag and drop the files from my folder of files I want to burn to the new CD. As I said I make sure I have the format set to ISO 9660 so my Mac can read the CD (the only other option is Joliet which Macs can't recognise anyway). I have burn speed set at 2x as apparently its best to burn at a speed that's 15-30% of a drive's maximum burn speed (which is 8x for the Acer CD-RW drive in my computer). I also ensure the session will be closed after writing as I'm not burning a multi-session disc. Finally I click OK to proceed with burning (the Compatibility Warning appears about the CD I'm about to create will only be readable in ROM drives). I click OK again and the disc successfully burns - well its readable by my Fairstar Windows computer, but of course when I insert the CD in my Mac it chucks a hissy fit and refuses to read the contents. Yes its possible Pioneer drives just don't like TDK media so I'll try another brand to see if it makes a difference. Also as I said I can't try CD-R media as I have a requirement to erase the contents (sensitive documents) and I understand that's not possible with CD-R once its been recorded to.

CD-Rs, used or otherwise, are seriously damaged if run over by a car. Generally, it will have portions of the dye layer (on the "top") scraped off, and often has chips broken off.

Or tools can be used to scrape off the dye layer, or break the disc. That makes them unreadable.

And remember - CD-Rs are 20 cents or less by the spindle.

Lynn

So I can just ignore that warning as its no longer relevant today since all modern drives can read CD-RW discs - correct?

What I'm doing in ECDC 4 is selecting 'Quick Erase' to make sure the disc is blank first (that's not the same as formatting the disc is it?). Then I select 'Create New CD' and drag and drop the files from my folder of files I want to burn to the new CD. As I said I make sure I have the format set to ISO 9660 so my Mac can read the CD (the only other option is Joliet which Macs can't recognise anyway). I have burn speed set at 2x as apparently its best to burn at a speed that's 15-30% of a drive's maximum burn speed (which is 8x for the Acer CD-RW drive in my computer). I also ensure the session will be closed after writing as I'm not burning a multi-session disc. Finally I click OK to proceed with burning (the Compatibility Warning appears about the CD I'm about to create will only be readable in ROM drives). I click OK again and the disc successfully burns - well its readable by my Fairstar Windows computer, but of course when I insert the CD in my Mac it chucks a hissy fit and refuses to read the contents. Yes its possible Pioneer drives just don't like TDK media so I'll try another brand to see if it makes a difference. Also as I said I can't try CD-R media as I have a requirement to erase the contents (sensitive documents) and I understand that's not possible with CD-R once its been recorded to.

If you're "quick erasing" the disc, that implies that it has been formatted, and I don't believe you're "unformatting" it. When you drag-and-drop files to the drive, you are packet writing, which uses the UDF file system. You need to use a blank disc. A "full erase" should do that. (It will also take longer.)

Then, you need to do as I said before, open ECDC 4, select, the Data Disc option (but not Direct CD). This will give you a window where you can add your files to the project. When you have a discs worth of files added, click the "Burn" button, which opens another window, and then you click "burn" again. When complete, you should have a disc that's readable on your Mac.

As for security, a bit of sandpaper on the top side of a CD-R disc, destroying the reflective and burnt layers will render the data as "gone". Another option is to put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds and enjoy the light show. (But I don't recommend breathing the fumes too much.)

Hope that helps!

Going for a bit of lateral thinking here (and I did say Lynn that it's been that long since I used v4 that I couldn't recall what the packet writing was called :lol:)

To 'unformat' an optical disc, full erase is correct, but to just wipe files from a 'standard' CD, quick erase will work

However, 98SE can handle USB if you install the drivers. Why not just use a pen drive/memory stick/thumb drive (call it whatever). These format to FAT32 and Macs have always been able to read FAT formatted media. That way, you can drag and drop the files and still have them Mac readable.

It won't work the other way round unfortunately as MS is very chauvinistic about reading anything other than FAT

If you can't get the car into the living room to run over your 'sensitive' discs, I recommend Dave's suggestion with the microwave.

I put half a cup of water in there, sit the disc on top of the cup - printed side up - and give it about 3 seconds, just enough to see the pretty light show start. There is no way that even the Men In Black will get anything off that disc afterward.

With the cup of water in there it's very safe and doesn't strain any of the electrical parts like starting an empty microwave would - and it doesn't get tire tracks on the parlor carpet!! :)

Brendon

Archived