• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Re-setting Region Codes From Aus (4) To Usa (1)

Jason van Genderen

Question

This is probably a stupid question - but I do need help! I'm an Aussie using Toast 8.0.1 on a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.4.11. I am about to head over to NY to complete editing a short film for a festival - and I'm worried I'll need to re-set my Mac's region code to ensure the festival will be able to view my DVD? Is this so, and if so - how can i best go about it? Or do I simply need to set up my Toast to burn an NTSC version without resetting my Mac's region code?

4 answers to this question

1) Region codes (R1-R8) are not really tied to tv standards (NTSC/PAL) in various countries, although the R1 region (USA and Canada) consists of only NTSC countries.

2) Region codes appear on most commercial DVDs, not the ones you (or anyone else) create using Toast. Toast-authored DVDs are all-region. The same goes for DVD authoring packages from other software houses. Region codes is mostly about market segmentation by the major studios, to discourage grey market imports. One or more regions can be restricted in post-production, by disallowing those regions, but it is optional.

3) Software DVD players on computers do not have the PAL/NTSC country matching limitation. You don't have to change a setting to play NTSC discs (North America), when you were used to playing PAL discs (Australia), or vise versa.

4) You should expect to find only NTSC players and tv sets in NY. Some set-top players are able to convert PAL-NTSC on the fly, but many are not able to do so.

There is no reason to change the region on your computer wherever you are, unless you want to play discs that are restricted for R4. For NYers to play your disc, NTSC may be a good idea. Although I would expect the organization to make some PAL facilitations for international contestants. Best check with them.

1) Region codes (R1-R8) are not really tied to tv standards (NTSC/PAL) in various countries, although the R1 region (USA and Canada) consists of only NTSC countries.

2) Region codes appear on most commercial DVDs, not the ones you (or anyone else) create using Toast. Toast-authored DVDs are all-region. The same goes for DVD authoring packages from other software houses. Region codes is mostly about market segmentation by the major studios, to discourage grey market imports. One or more regions can be restricted in post-production, by disallowing those regions, but it is optional.

3) Software DVD players on computers do not have the PAL/NTSC country matching limitation. You don't have to change a setting to play NTSC discs (North America), when you were used to playing PAL discs (Australia), or vise versa.

4) You should expect to find only NTSC players and tv sets in NY. Some set-top players are able to convert PAL-NTSC on the fly, but many are not able to do so.

There is no reason to change the region on your computer wherever you are, unless you want to play discs that are restricted for R4. For NYers to play your disc, NTSC may be a good idea. Although I would expect the organization to make some PAL facilitations for international contestants. Best check with them.

Fantastic - thanks so much for the info, I feel a lot more confident now! Understand the logic now, makes sense. Cheers!

Fantastic - thanks so much for the info, I feel a lot more confident now! Understand the logic now, makes sense. Cheers!

Hi m8, I have a macbook pro less than a year old ....I've mad a film and i want to send it to Canada.

I set the region code to 2 when i first had the computer .live in UK..I am told i can change it to zero ... and i can play any disks......ok thats cool....

Yet will it burn the disks... only letting them play in region 2?

How do i change the region code?

Do i need to do this if i burn it in NTSE?

Thanks 4 your time

Les

Archived