• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Will Burn 1 Out Of Every 10 Tries

Griffie

I have downloaded files in the .avi format and converted to .mpg so that I can view the DVDs on a protable DVD player. Here lately, I am havinf a lot of problems with the burning process. I have Windows XP and the Easy CD & DVD 6.0 from Roxio. I must say that finding help on this software has been very difficult. I use the DVD builder and all is fine....the files encode completely....BUT when the window comes up with the actual burnung process, it will freeze up somewhere between 1-3%. EVERY once in a while I do get a clean burn. I've had the actual DVD burner check out and it is OK.....is there a driver that would help me out? I have even closed all programs except for the DVD builder and my McAfee, which leave the CUP working at 2% and it still freezes. Since it takes a good 45 minutes to burn a disc, I have spent a long time trying to find a solution. Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried the DVD-RW as well as the DVD+RW. I can get failures and success on both, so I am confused as to what else I can try. Thanks! :blink:

Several things for you to try

1: get the latest drivers for your video card and install those after removing the old ones

2: get and install the latest DirectX from Microsoft (August is the latest)

3: Try switching to software render instead of hardware

4: 'Burn' to an image file instead of to a disc (that way you can make more copies without having to re-render each time)

Let us know which (if any) worked

Several things for you to try

1: get the latest drivers for your video card and install those after removing the old ones

2: get and install the latest DirectX from Microsoft (August is the latest)

3: Try switching to software render instead of hardware

4: 'Burn' to an image file instead of to a disc (that way you can make more copies without having to re-render each time)

Let us know which (if any) worked

OK...I have done Steps 1 and 2. I don't know how to do #3. I tried 4, but when I clicked on the file, I chose to do a test run and it said that the .ISO was not compatable. I am getting more and more frustrated with this!

OK...I have done Steps 1 and 2. I don't know how to do #3. I tried 4, but when I clicked on the file, I chose to do a test run and it said that the .ISO was not compatable. I am getting more and more frustrated with this!

It is still not working. The "Phase" quickly goes to 100%, but the recording phase doesn't even move now. Is there a better software for what I am wanting to do?

Go here and download Imgburn and see if that can handle the .iso file fou made

http://www.nch.com.au/burn/index.html

It's possible there's something wrong with the file you are converting - is it a 'home-brew' movie or are you trying to copy a commercial one?

I assume the file is fine. It will play on the computer and I have already made about 3 DVDs with the smae type of file. I downloaded Hannah Montana episodes for my daughter in the >AVI format. I have "Fx Mpeg Writer" that I used to convert to .mpg format to burn to DVD so that she can watch on her portable DVD player. Maybe I am doing this the hard way?

Yiou say you're converting the files to .mpeg and then using that - what are the original files?

Did you try using those and letting the program render?

You could try the (cut-down) 30 day trial of EMC9 and see if that works and better

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/creator_trial/

Just make sure your system specs are good enough (the recommended 'minimum' is a joke really)

Yiou say you're converting the files to .mpeg and then using that - what are the original files?

Did you try using those and letting the program render?

You could try the (cut-down) 30 day trial of EMC9 and see if that works and better

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/creator_trial/

Just make sure your system specs are good enough (the recommended 'minimum' is a joke really)

Originals were .avi format.

Sorry, but I don't know what is means to let the program "render". I am trying the "Express burn" that you directed me to earlier. I will let you know if that helps me.

Thanks for all of your help on this matter. This has been a long project in the making and I hate to drop ot now.

'Rendering' is the process of converting a .avi, etc to the 'proper' format that can be played on a standalone DVD.

I can't recall if ECD6 could handle that (I'm open to suggestiions here) - the later versions could and did

You just opened the file in DVD builder and let that do the conversion to .iso and then opened the .iso file with disc copy (all you had to do was to double click the .iso and everything ran from there)

I had success with the program "Imgburn". I got 1 episode on there and it did great on my daughter's portable DVD player!! :) Yeah! I am going to try to add another 2 episodes to that same DVD since it is re-writable. Thanks for your help... I was getting ready to throw my computer out the window! I will let you know how it goes.

:lol:

Just remember RW media is for testing, transferring data when the original is safely on the originating computer, and other short-term uses.

Once you know it works, re-copy it to R media - if you want to KEEP it. RW media is much shorter-lived than R media, and doesn't exactly send an engraved warning before it blanks out.

If the idea is to "save discs" - is your data worth more than the cost of a blank R disc - I think it can be 50 cents or lower if you buy spindles of it on sale.

Lynn

Just remember RW media is for testing, transferring data when the original is safely on the originating computer, and other short-term uses.

Once you know it works, re-copy it to R media - if you want to KEEP it. RW media is much shorter-lived than R media, and doesn't exactly send an engraved warning before it blanks out.

If the idea is to "save discs" - is your data worth more than the cost of a blank R disc - I think it can be 50 cents or lower if you buy spindles of it on sale.

Lynn

Thanks. I do want to keep them. I will burn these and then I can just copy the RW to R discs....can't I?

If you have the .iso files on the hard drive, you don't need to copy the RW discs - just use the .isos ;)

You won't really be able to add to existing recordings - that will cause the DVD player to hiccup badly (it won't be able to handle appendable sessions

If you have the .iso files on the hard drive, you don't need to copy the RW discs - just use the .isos ;)

You won't really be able to add to existing recordings - that will cause the DVD player to hiccup badly (it won't be able to handle appendable sessions

Thanks for the tip!! I will just do a whole new burn using the .iso files now that I know this programs works for what I am needing. Thanks so much for helping me solve this problem. You are a life-saver! :D

Archived