• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cd Spin Doctor

rappar

Question

15 answers to this question

Unfortunately, there is no such documentation.

Let's see if I have this correct...

I can download Audacity for free. If I need help, they have a forum that is active, current and helpful. Or... I can pay $100 for Toast with Spin Doctor and get NO documentation and limited help relative to the Audacity group.

Man, I sure wish I could return this product for a refund.

I will be VERY active in making sure others do NOT make the same mistake I did...

Let's see if I have this correct...

I can download Audacity for free. If I need help, they have a forum that is active, current and helpful. Or... I can pay $100 for Toast with Spin Doctor and get NO documentation and limited help relative to the Audacity group.

Man, I sure wish I could return this product for a refund.

I will be VERY active in making sure others do NOT make the same mistake I did...

Wow, I wasn't expecting that response.

If you purchased Toast as a download from Roxio they do have a refund policy.

You only asked if there was documentation for CD Spin Doctor. I answered your question. Is there a different question you'd like help with? This forum may not be as active as the one for Audacity but some of us who use Roxio's Mac applications do our best to help find solutions for other users such as yourself. I'm sorry if you thought I was giving you some kind of brush off.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that response.

First, I want to say I am sorry about the tone of my last post. I apologize for the fact that it certainly looked like I was taking a shot at someone who had take the time to deal with my problem. I really do appreciate the help given here. What I could not understand was that there appears to be no documentation in the manual I got or on line with Roxio concerning Spin Doctor. Before purchasing this, I'd seen some screen shots of Spin Doctor and what I had seen really looked good.

I own version 5 and had used it on a number of occasions back when I was on Mac's OS 9. Given how it had helped me then, I figured the new version and Spin Doctor was going to be a big help. The store I purchased this from has a pretty standard policy about opened software, it's yours so the cost is something I will just have to live with.

Again, I appreciate the time taken by volunteers to help out, I was really frustrated and vented at the wrong person.

Ron

First, I want to say I am sorry about the tone of my last post. I apologize for the fact that it certainly looked like I was taking a shot at someone who had take the time to deal with my problem. I really do appreciate the help given here. What I could not understand was that there appears to be no documentation in the manual I got or on line with Roxio concerning Spin Doctor. Before purchasing this, I'd seen some screen shots of Spin Doctor and what I had seen really looked good.

I own version 5 and had used it on a number of occasions back when I was on Mac's OS 9. Given how it had helped me then, I figured the new version and Spin Doctor was going to be a big help. The store I purchased this from has a pretty standard policy about opened software, it's yours so the cost is something I will just have to live with.

Again, I appreciate the time taken by volunteers to help out, I was really frustrated and vented at the wrong person.

Ron

Thanks for clarifying. I, too, am irritated by the lack of Spin Doctor documentation. I don't know why the developer is not required to furnish that to Roxio. Apparently they believe the "assistant" is adequate documentation.

I can help where you get stuck. It is much more stable (although not perfectly so) than the version you used. I choose the Advanced mode (after the first time I browsed through the assistant). I also do not use automatic for marking tracks but instead drag across the waveform to make manual tracks.

It can help to put an AIFF file on your hard drive (drag one from an audio CD) and to practice with that file. Select it by choosing "Open an Existing Audio File". Since a single track isn't very long it will open quickly. Now do everything you can to screw it up. You'll quickly see how it works. The Align commands in the Edit window are very useful as are the commands in the Controls window.

The Info button and the Filters button on the top right present their respective windows. Take a look at both the Details and Tags tabs in the Info window as they are new to this version.

Even without the documentation I would swear at version 5 much more often because it wanted to crash every other time I moved a track marker. I learned to save after every click. This one has crashed for some users but not yet for me.

I also do not use automatic for marking tracks but instead drag across the waveform to make manual tracks.

I did it once and it was the beginning of ALL my problems with CS SpinDoctor. Ever since it has been crashing!

"Open an Existing Audio File"

Every time I try to do this the computer, or the program, just hangs and wont do anything but show the cute little umbrella, spinning forever. I cannot use the force quite function because it is not "not responding", it won't let me do anything at all. The only way I can regain use of my computer is by shutting it off.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but have had no luck at all. I have looked in some of the other forums for some answers but can't find any that comes close to a solution.

Anyone with a new suggestion?

BTW I am still trying to transfer my old vinyl LP collection to CDs and has been anything but frustrating!

HJ

Edited by hjv

I did it once and it was the beginning of ALL my problems with CS SpinDoctor. Ever since it has been crashing!

Every time I try to do this the computer, or the program, just hangs and wont do anything but show the cute little umbrella, spinning forever. I cannot use the force quite function because it is not "not responding", it won't let me do anything at all. The only way I can regain use of my computer is by shutting it off.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but have had no luck at all. I have looked in some of the other forums for some answers but can't find any that comes close to a solution.

Anyone with a new suggestion?

BTW I am still trying to transfer my old vinyl LP collection to CDs and has been anything but frustrating!

HJ

Sorry that this has been so miserable. Have you tried trashing the com.roxio.deepseasoftware.CDSpinDoctor.plist file in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Spin Doctor. Also, you might want to temporarily remove any plugins from either your Root or User>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folders to see if one of them is causing a conflict.

A few years ago I had a lot of problems with an earlier version of Spin Doctor that only were fixed when I reinstalled my OS because of a different problem. It drove me nuts trying to find what caused the problem and I never did find it. It could be there is an OS issue with your Mac that Spin Doctor is reacting to. One thing you can do that does no harm and might do some good is download and apply the latest Combined System Updater from Apple's support downloads site.

Also, you might want to temporarily remove any plugins from either your Root or User>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folders to see if one of them is causing a conflict.

Thank you. Yes, I have done a full "uninstall of Toast Titanium and all its associated files" per the instructions found in one of the posts somewhere else here.

I'll try removing the plugins (but how does on e do it just temporarily? I thought that once you remove, they ate gone).

One thing you can do that does no harm and might do some good is download and apply the latest Combined System Updater from Apple's support downloads site.

What in the world is this? Do you mean to say whether I am current on all the software updates that Apple has issued so far for the OS I use (Tiger)? If so, the answer is "yes". If not, I have no idea what you may be talking about; sorry for my ignorance, but I do appreciate you trying to help.

HJ

Edited by hjv

Thank you. Yes, I have done a full "uninstall of Toast Titanium and all its associated files" per the instructions found in one of the posts somewhere else here.

I'll try removing the plugins (but how does on e do it just temporarily? I thought that once you remove, they ate gone).

Just move the plugins out of the VST folders. Then move them back in if that doesn't change anything. It's a long shot but there once was a version of Spin Doctor that had a conflict with the VST plugin from Sound Soap so I'm just suggesting anything.

What in the world is this? Do you mean to say whether I am current on all the software updates that Apple has issued so far for the OS I use (Tiger)? If so, the answer is "yes". If not, I have no idea what you may be talking about; sorry for my ignorance, but I do appreciate you trying to help.

HJ

When you use Software Update to do an incremental system update (such as 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 or whatever) there are reports that some odd little problems. The fix is to download what is called the combined system update and run that on top of the existing system. In other words, it is redundantly doing the same version installation but just from a different updater. I've done this to fix a problem where my USB 2 ports were only operating at USB 1.1 speed and it worked. It is unlikely that it will have any effect in your case but I don't know of the reason you're having this difficulty and it is something to try.

Just move the plugins out of the VST folders. Then move them back in if that doesn't change anything. It's a long shot but there once was a version of Spin Doctor that had a conflict with the VST plugin from Sound Soap so I'm just suggesting anything.

When you use Software Update to do an incremental system update (such as 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 or whatever) there are reports that some odd little problems. The fix is to download what is called the combined system update and run that on top of the existing system. In other words, it is redundantly doing the same version installation but just from a different updater. I've done this to fix a problem where my USB 2 ports were only operating at USB 1.1 speed and it worked. It is unlikely that it will have any effect in your case but I don't know of the reason you're having this difficulty and it is something to try.

Thank you. I will try both suggestions.

I'm beginning to think I'm about as dumb as a bucket of rocks with Spin Doctor. I had Toast 8 and was having a fit over the fact that when I burned a music CD all that showed up was Track 1, Track 2, et. So I contacted Support about it. They told me I needed T-9 in order to edit the ID Tag line so the song would show up on the CD. So, naive dude that I am, I upgraded to T-9. I open Spin Doc and try it again. Nothing. I click on "Open another Audio File" and a little "Other" shows up. I click that and it takes me to a directory that I chose containing music. But, I can't open any music file because they're all grayed out. Roxio tells me I am looking for Music ID. Really? And, just where is this file? I found it on T-8, but not on T-9. I'm seriously thinking about having "S-T-U-P-I-D" tattooed on my forehead over this.

I'm beginning to think I'm about as dumb as a bucket of rocks with Spin Doctor. I had Toast 8 and was having a fit over the fact that when I burned a music CD all that showed up was Track 1, Track 2, et. So I contacted Support about it. They told me I needed T-9 in order to edit the ID Tag line so the song would show up on the CD. So, naive dude that I am, I upgraded to T-9. I open Spin Doc and try it again. Nothing. I click on "Open another Audio File" and a little "Other" shows up. I click that and it takes me to a directory that I chose containing music. But, I can't open any music file because they're all grayed out. Roxio tells me I am looking for Music ID. Really? And, just where is this file? I found it on T-8, but not on T-9. I'm seriously thinking about having "S-T-U-P-I-D" tattooed on my forehead over this.

When you burn an audio CD (something that plays in regular CD players) what Toast writes is CD Text for the artist/album/track information. This is read by CD players that are equipped to read CD Text (which are uncommon and mostly found in higher-end car players). Computers don't read CD Text. When you insert any audio CD in a computer – including store-bought CDs – computers look at a database file on the hard drive to find a match for a CD that has the same number of tracks and track length in order. If a match is found the computer displays the artist/album/track info in place of the generic track 1 etc that you're seeing. If no match is found the computer accesses the online CDDB to see if a match is present there. If there is a match that info is downloaded and written to the database on the hard drive. If no match is found then you see the generic track info until it gets entered manually, which on a Mac must be done in iTunes.

So although Toast writes the info to the CD, the Mac doesn't read it. There is an applescript at dougscripts.com that can automatically transfer the CD Text info from the disc to iTunes to make the manual entering quick. Get CD Text to CD Info .

Note that this only makes the track info appear on the one computer. Put the CD in a different computer and the same thing happens unless the track info has been uploaded to the CDDB.

As for opening existing audio files in Spin Doctor: they must be in AIFF format. Your audio files are probably mp3 or AAC so they would need to be converted to AIFF (which Toast 9 can do in the Convert window) before opening in Spin Doctor. However, I don't know why you'd open existing audio files in Spin Doctor unless you wanted to break them into smaller tracks. If you are unable to open a previously saved Spin Doctor recording let me know more about your steps and I may be able to assist you.

Please feel free to ask more questions.

Thank you. I will try both suggestions.

Reluctantly I did do as you suggested and it worked as a charm. Thank you again for your help.

Now I have another problem. The music files are being saved to the "Documents" file and not to the "Music" files. I can move them manually but is there a way to have it done automatically? Before all my previous problems, they use to be placed there.

Reluctantly I did do as you suggested and it worked as a charm. Thank you again for your help.

Now I have another problem. The music files are being saved to the "Documents" file and not to the "Music" files. I can move them manually but is there a way to have it done automatically? Before all my previous problems, they use to be placed there.

When you refer to saving your music files I'm unclear what you are referring to. Spin Doctor save its scratch file (where your recording goes) according to the setting in preferences. Once you mark your tracks you can send those to Toast (for burning to disc or converting to other formats), to iTunes (which imports them in a format according to your iTunes preferences) or directly save them as .aiff files to your hard drive. If you do the latter you get a dialogue box that asks where you want to save them. If you want to save the entire waveform then you also get a dialogue box giving you the chance to choose your save location. You'll notice there also Save As... and Save a Copy As... options in the File menu.