What's Up With Dvd-dl Capacity?

robworman

Question

I just know this is a newbie FAQ, but I feel I have done my due diligence in searching this forum and videohelp.com.

So here goes:

My goal: use Toast 7.0.2 to burn a bunch of 20-30 min videos (mpg, avi, etc) to DVD-Video formatted DL disc.

And of course, to avoid any risk of $4 coasters, I want to burn to a disc image first.

My DL media (memorex, which I now realize may not be the best choice) is clearly labeled as 8.5 GB / 240 minutes, so I add 8 of these videos to the Toast copy window. Total time: 3hr 51min. The little Toast capacity indicator seems to agree that I haven't yet filled up a DL media.

So I save this as a Toast Disk Image, then mount the disk image and fire up DVD Player... all is well, the disk looks exactly like I want.

But when I go to burn it, I get a capacity warning...

It turns out my 3:51 disk produced an 9GB+ disk image!

Am I doing something wrong?

Or am I mistaken in my assumption that my 8 videos should all fit on a DL media?

(If it matters, this is Toast 7.0.2 on OSX 10.3.9)

2 answers to this question

DL media is 8 GB. 8.5 GB is based off of 1 MB = 1000 KB (marketing folks can't do math well :-) 1 MB is actually 1024 KB, which results in a DL equaling 8 GB, not 8.5 GB.

Anyway, you have 8GB of space. Don't even think about the 240 minutes, again that is pointless since the time all depends on the bit rate used and . You would need to lower the bit rate to about 4 Mb/s to get that much on the disc (if the audio quality was 192 Dolby). You could get more or less depending on how you set the encode.

So, here is what you can do. If you want to get more on the disc, go to the custom encoder settings and lower the bit rate. That will allow you to get more.

If you have MPEG that don't need to be encoded, you can set Toast to "Never" re-encode the files.

You can also put the image you made already into Image format in Toast, turn on "Fit-to-Disc" and save as a DL image. That would be the easiest.

Toast will save an image at any size. It tries to keep it within the correct size, but it all depends on the files and bit rate. Since Toast uses VBR it is impossible to know the final size, only an estimate.

...Don't even think about the 240 minutes, again that is pointless since the time all depends on the bit rate used and . You would need to lower the bit rate to about 4 Mb/s to get that much on the disc (if the audio quality was 192 Dolby). You could get more or less depending on how you set the encode....

thanks for the useful response!

my problem was the assumption (based on CD Audio) that the DVD time capacity was somehow "set in stone".

Archived